Accidentally Hit Animals with Cars ? A Problem in Rural areas-Experiences?

by flipper 59 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

MADDIE- I'm so sorry you went through that with the cat. I bet it made you feel sad . I too hate seeing animals suffer. I once had a mean ex-neighbor whos prize winning malumut dogs killed my little girls cat only a year old. They insensitively through the dead cat back into my back yard and my daughters discovered it dead. Some people like that former neighbor are so twisted ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Lo-ru-hamah
    Lo-ru-hamah

Once, when I was about 18, with a group of people out in service, I decided to play around like I was going to hit this squirrel and then the squirrel ran back and I ended up hitting it.

I felt really terrible and everyone looked at me like I was a jerk. I really felt like one.

The other day, my husband was driving down a curvy coutry road about dusk and a beaver ran out before he could do anything about it and he hit it. He felt real bad, we live in Texas and don't see many beavers out here.

Also, about seven years ago, while driving in New Mexico at night, I hit a coyote. It was depressing. Nothing that we have ever hit has done any damage to our vehicles. The only good thing is that at least the animals were killed instantly.

Sheri

• hubert
    hubert

Two more incidents to report, just this week.

Sunday, the daughter of a guy that works with me totalled her car when she hit a deer on a 6 lane expressway, and her vehicle was disabled in the middle of the road, cars flying by her at 70 -80 miles an hour, and she had her baby in the car. She called her Dad, who was 30 miles away and couldn't do anything, and told her to call 911 immediately and get a cop out there fast ! She did, and anyway, they are both okay.

Then just this morning on the way to work, a deer got killed on the north side of the highway, and also one on the south side of the highway in the same place. Traffic was backed up for miles. There were two Asians with their trunk open trying to lift one of the deer into their trunk to take home !! I can see the dinner scene. "Honey, why is there a bowl next to the deer meat"? "To spit out the headlight glass into".

On a more serious note, this is the same place that a man got killed avoiding a deer last month. Fences were installed there after that, but it didn't do any good.

It's getting to be an epidemic out here on the east coast.

Hubert

• helncon
    helncon

Over the years of driving i have hit a few animals.

its horrible especially if it could be a family pet.

I now live in a VERY rural area.

When i go to and from work there is so much wildlife around.

I have nearly hit a few Kangaroos, tortise, wallabies, rabbitss and native birds.

All along the side of the roads there are many dead kangaroos and many birds and rabbits on the road.

Its horrible.

Helen

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

I once had an early spring fledgling fly out of a bush and under my car. I spotted it flapping in the road in my rear view. I nursed it and fed it worms for a few days before releasing it into a hedgerow. I guess it may probably struggle to survive because it seemed subdued - I'll never know! I've hit the brakes a few times for squirrels because they shoot in front of you and then run on in front of you when they realize a car is there - as if they can outrun a car - instead of carrying on across to get out of it's line.

• bubble
    bubble

I once killed a pidgeon in my car!!!

Last year a deer ran out just in front of my car but fortunately I did miss it.

Last week a baby hegdehog got caught in the netting that covers my recycling box and died. I had to cut it free and dispose of it. I was quite traumatised.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I've never personally run over anything yet, but I came close to hitting deer a couple of times. The first time, I was driving in the city from my friends place. Damn deer hops out into the road. Thank god it was daytime, so there was plenty opportunity to see it.

Second time, I was on the way home from a Blue Oyster Cult concert, and I saw the glowing eyes at the side of the road. So I started to slow down. Three damn deer started making their way across the road. I hit my brakes hard, and came within about two inches of hitting the last one.

Deer are everywhere. I've had one walking across my lawn.

My brother ran over the coolest thing ever with his Semi - he squashed a crocodile's head.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

One dark night I drove between 2 kangroo's standing on eitherside of my lane. I was doing 110 K.M.H I had no chance to stop so I just cruised by in shock...hitting one is like hitting a 7 foot tall 400 pound man. Not many cars survive.

• flipper
    flipper

LO-RUH-HOMAH- I know how you feel. A beaver you hit ? Wow. I think that's the first beaver that has been mentioned. A coyote too? I'm sorry , bet that made you feel sad . Peace.

HUBERT- Hitting deer has become of epidemic proportions here on the west coast also. When I go to work in the Sierra mountains to my jobs, I always see dead ones on the side of the road . People getting killed hitting deer. deer getting killed hitting people. Crazy ! You say 2 guys actually put a dead deer intheir trunk to take home to eat ? Some people will do anything for a good meal. Guess it beats McDonalds !

HELNCON- My son told me about all the dead kangaroos on the sides of roads when he visited Australia last year with his girlfriend . Sad ! So there are lots of tortoises , wallaby, rabbits and birds in Australia ? Lively place !

R. CRUSOE- That is so good you saved that bird . I agree though, squirrels do get kind of " squirrelly " when running on roads .

BUBBLE- You killed a pigeon IN your car ? Did it just fly in and get stuck in your car ? Really curious ? And a baby hedgehog got caught in the netting of your recycling box ? That is another bizarre occurence. Strange.

NOSFERATU- Sounds like you've had some real close calls. Your brother ran over a crocodiles head ? Am I correct in assuming that was in Florida, not Canada? I love Blue Oyster Cult too ! I have their best of cd and Agents of Fortune ! Good stuff !

WITNESS 007- Wow ! Glad you did not hit the kangaroos. Great aim to go in between them ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• bubble
    bubble

Yes Flipper, I did kill a pidgeon in my car. I think it was committing suicide, it just flew at the front of my car as if it wanted to die. Perhaps it was old and disoriented and flew at my car by accident. Bizarre I agree.

The hedgehog incident only happened a few days ago. I still feel guilty, if only I had pulled the netting over the box instead of letting it dangle over the side then the whole tradegy need never have happened. I had to put on rubber gloves and cut it free, and it's little leg was bleeding where it had tried to struggle free. I then stared a at the poor thing for about 10 minutes just in case it was still alive and breathing. Needless to say it wasn't, so I put it in a bin bag (together with the rubber gloves and the netting) and placed it in my wheely bin.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit