Accidentally Hit Animals with Cars ? A Problem in Rural areas-Experiences?

by flipper 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    PS - I did hit a bird once, didn't tell hubby cause I was embarrassed. How the hell do you hit a bird

Don't feel embarrassed ... it CAN happen! I've personally witnessed it. The tragic incident reinforced why when someone calls you a "bird brain" it isn't a compliment.

• Barbie Doll
  • Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

How can you kill them.alt

• chickpea
    chickpea

i live on a road (on the outskirts of a small north wisconsin town.) nicknamed "venison alley".... there is a city herd that makes gardening a practice in containment and creative fencing... last fall there was a city sanctioned and supervised bow season to cull 50 from the herd ( they got 39... i think they should have had to stay out there til they got all the tags filled)

i have hit 3 deer, 2 walked away with minimal damage to the vehicles

one came partway thru the windshield as i caught him in a leap out of a ditch ( saw him the split second before impact) broke his neck and died instantly... i spit glass for days

my older son has hit 2 deer.... my husband has hit one deer and a black bear..... we dont count the little critters.... as a general rule, in winter no one brakes or swerves for critters since there is the real chance of skidding off the snow covered roads....

thankfully no one has hit a domestic animal

wayyyyyy way back in the 70s i did hit a roadrunner on a west texas highway..... POOF!... feathers everywhere... beep! beep!

it happens!

godspeed

c/p

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Flipper..Deer get hit here all the time..I can`t count how much wildlife I`ve killed with the truck..It`s part of life in the wilderness...OUTLAW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I once ran over a squirrel on my bike. It was NOT a pleasant experience.

• restrangled
    restrangled

I hit a squirrel once and had to turn around, go home and cry. My heart hurt for days

I can't imagine hitting a large animal.

r.

• Saoirse
    Saoirse

My cousin was driving through the mountains and had a deer jump down ON TOP of his car.

I almost hit a deer once. It was pretty scary. My husband went out and bought me one of those deer alert whistle things that you put under your bumper and nothing has jumped out in front of me since. You might want to check it out. I think we got ours at Wal-Mart and it was only a few bucks.

http://www.acehardware.com/sm-deer-alert-daab--pi-1296263.html

• flipper
    flipper

Wow ! I have to say since I've been on JWD this thread has surprised me more than any others I started about it's shelf life !

BFD- Crazy they hit our cars when we are barely moving ? And the bird still dies ! Go figure ? Another suicidal bird like Snakes experience ! I'm so sorry your uncle died from hitting a horse . I keep hearing about these windshield experiences . Extremely dangerous !

FREQUENT FADER MILES- Yeah ! Birds can definitely cause damage too ! I found that out with a great horned owl !

BARBIE DOLL- That is an absolutely chilling picture of a moose in a car ? How can we kill deer crossing the road ? It's not like we want to , or are aiming for them ! They kill themselves by running into our cars !

CHICKPEA- It sounds like your family has had it's share of hitting animals. I didn't think I would find somebody who had worse luck than me in hitting animals. I think your family fits the bill . I have heard of deer going through the windshields ! Crazy stuff ! You hit a roadrunner too ? Weird .

OUTLAW- Yeah, I agree with you my mountain friend. I know from living in the Sierra mountains here in California for 10 plus years that deer are hit regularly . See them on the side of the road all the time ! It's just that when you total 3 trucks in 8 years time, a guy begins to get pissed off at it when it happens to you !

LEIOLA- How the hell do you run over a squirrel with a bicycle ? I guess it's possible, because it happened to you , however the sheer chances of it happening sound slim ! Must have traumatized you !

RESTRANGLED- You ran over a squirrel and were devastated ? I'm glad you are not some of us more unfortunate souls who have unwittingly killed bigger game. Not on purpose of course. Peace out, thanks for all the responses, really interesting ! Mr. Flipper

• truthsearcher
    truthsearcher

My brother-in-law was almost killed by a moose hitting his truck.

We have deer darting out in front of us all the time. It makes me nervous! People have died around here too. Wild turkeys are also a problem, and I was attacked once by a Canadian goose with attitude as I turned onto my road.

I hit a rabbit recently, and felt very bad about it, I tried to swerve and avoid it, but it didn't work.

Here is a local sign for your contemplation. Good to know those tax dollars are going to good use! :

Turtlecrossing

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit