Accidentally Hit Animals with Cars ? A Problem in Rural areas-Experiences?

by flipper 59 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I've hit possum, raccoon, and skunk. Close to hitting deer, but lucked out. I've hit flying birds a few times, once a cardinal, I was very sad.

I think when it comes to animals on the road, already taking the precautions of going slower and paying attention, when they get in the way there is little you can do. You can swerve and try to miss, but then you become a road hazard. I've missed my deer by deliberatly staying the course, becoming if you will "the instrument of natural selection". If I'd hit it, I'd have felt sad at first, and then "Damn, wish a game warden were around so I could get a tag." (Hate to waste good venison.)

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

Talking about hitting birds ...I had an uncle that hit a vulture (best I remember -- some kind of buzzard type bird). He actually came through the winshield and got so mutilated that the contents of his stomach covered the inside of his truck. Can you imagine the inside of a vulture's somach? .. EEWWW

My mom hit a bear once with me in the car. That was gross. We almost missed him and hit him just at the right front bumper. Under the car was covered in blood.

I hit a puppy once. I cried and knocked on thier door. The guy said, "don't worry about it. He wouldn't stay out of the road so I figured this would happen." The man grabbed it up and threw it pouring blood into the woods. I almost puked....

• dinah
    dinah

ex-nj-jw,

ROTFL

I know this is a serious thread, I was just thinking of an emphatic denial of hitting a bird.

I have hit a skunk before, that was terrible. The power windows in my car were messed up and the window was about 1/4 down. Gross!!!

I hit the neighbor's dog. It hurt his paw and leg but he wasn't seriously injured. I loved on him so much that he came to visit me for weeks after that. I was crying really bad, cos I love dogs so much. It blew my mind that he would come visit the person who ran him over just to get petted.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

flipper:

if it has happened to any of you often

only one with a deer...One night a few years back, I was on the way home from a trip, not far from home, driving my 02 Honda Civic...still in great condition BTW.....semi rural 2 lane highway...55mph..definitely on the lookout for deer...then BAM!..deer comes up along the side of the passenger side...deer ducks his head down and runs it down the side of the car....and then runs back off from whence it came... I pulled over a bit up the road, got my spotlight out...anticipating the worst...and just some dirt knocked off...i rubbed out the marks and it was as good as new.....

many more years ago.,..while working in the field circus in the rurals...a little kitten ran out in front of the car....thump, thump, thump...kitty hit the front tire and kitty flew out the back of the car...rolled around in the ditch a minute....shook its little head...and got up and ran like hell back to the farmhouse..... I presume Mr/Ms. Kitty had a long and hopefully uneventful life thereafter, away from the mauls of marauding witnesses. The pioneers were horrified..... It was a deathly quiet ride back to the Kingdumb Hell in town.

..another time in the circus work...in town..there was a little ghetto park across from the old KH...as I was driving, one of the soft-hearted pioneers says "{Snakes}, is that a squirrel laying in the road? Is it moving?"...I carefully maneuvered the car over the little guy to avoid him, but then looked back in the rear view mirror...the poor little squirrel's back legs were impaled into the pavement...he was desparately trying to move...I circled the block...and ...you probably know how this ends.....(ok, for those with no imagination, I came back around and hit the squirrel dead on..bum bump....flattened the squirrel..much to the consternation and horror of aforementioned pioneer).....it was more humane that way....I am sure the squirrel was grateful in a way only a squirrel can be seconds before its brains squirt out its eye sockets and ends its inner torment.

..one more you say? oh, all right..if you insist......about 5 years ago, I was driving my old beat up 79 Impala..on its last legs....(shortly after this incident, the car died of unrelated mechanical issues...ok, it was a heap of crap) down a 4 lane divided highway, I was on the lower highway southbound..driving .. this highway connects two major rivers in our region...and has a lot of wetlands....and lots of animals...a bird..I have no idea what kind....dive bombed the front of the car in a poorly misguided attempt at avoiding my windshield and instead finding the bottom of the car....as my passengers and I heard the initial thump of the fowl...they looked behind us (and I checked out the rear view mirror)... there was an explosion of feathers and pieces of bird.....hope it wasnt an eagle (heard they taste like chicken)......I doubt it....that it was an eagle or that it tasted like chicken....

..enough you say?....oh...okay....hopefully only you west coasters were eating lunch.....

Snakes ()

• flipper
    flipper

Wow! Thanks for all the responses ! This thread is growing legs of it's own, I'm shocked we've all hit so many animals !

R.F.- Yes, I know how you feel. The couple times over the years I hit a squirrel I felt bad too ! Such little helpless creatures. I am sure glad when I hit the deer they didn't come through the windshield like they did to your aquaintance ! Must have been a horrible experience !

GWYNETH- That is crazy how the deer ran into you virtually even though you tried to swerve to avoid it. It seems to me some deer are on suicide missions, like kamikaze deer or something ! Sorry that happened to you, I only know too well myself the financial cost ! $$$$$You've hit turtles !? Amazing ! Must be lots of them crossing roads down in Florida . You actually got pissed on by a turtle ? LMAOLReactionary little hard shell bastard ! LOL! Yes, I too have seen many dead possums in my part of Northern California . They are slower than a 7 year itch. They just plod along.

DJK- You hit a coyote ? Wow. I thought they were relatively fast. But at 75mph anything could get clipped I guess. I guess I shouldn't be surprised. I hit a roadrunner in the southern California desert once years ago, and to this day I don't know how I did it, they are fast ! So deer have bad depth perception, eh ? I've heard of people putting deer whistles on the front of their vehicles to ward them off. Maybe it works.

MINU- You hit a duck ? I'm amazed at the variety of animals we have all hit ! It's crazy. You had duck all over your bumper ? Did you make him foot the ( bill) ? Bad joke, I know. Spank me.

MOMZCRAZY- You hit rabbits ? Wow! They are usually fast too. I think possums are stinky gross creatures anyway , I can only imagine when you hit one ! My friend years ago , had a pet possum and as a joke when I went to visit him , he set it in the shower overnight. I went to get in the shower the next morning and as I stood there naked, in front of me was this gross possum snarling , growling at me , drooling saliva out it's mouth ! Needless to say I quick wrapped a towel around myself and exited quick ! LOL!

HUBERT- That is awful a man died hitting a deer . Those deer are more dangerous than people know, the way they dart out in front of you last second. I'm very lucky I am alive to tell about my 3 experiences . Was driving 55 MPH each time it happened.

DARKUNCLE 29- Sounds like you have had your share of animals hit too ! Possum, raccoon, skunk ? You hit a cardinal ? I assume you mean the bird type, not a Catholic ! Yeah, I've heard as you say of people hitting deer, then dragging them off to keep the meat for themselves ! Strange and crazy times !

RENEEISORYM- My god ! Your experience takes the cake for the most morbid ! Mutilated vulture's stomach all over the inside of your uncle's car !? Ecch! I wanna yank ! I bet a bear would cause serious damage to your vehicle ! How could that guy be so callous to his puppy you hit though ? At least he should have given it a proper burial, poor thing. He throws it out in the forest. Sentimental guy, huh ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper thanks look forward to more weird stories.

• flipper
    flipper

DINAH- It's not entirely a serious thread here. We always can use a good laugh or two or three. Especially this week since the NBC news last week. I bet hitting a skunk is a smelly experience which lingers on weeks after hitting it. Glad I haven't hit one of those !

SNAKES- Wow ! You certainly have had your share of run-ins ( no pun intended ) with animals too I see ! Glad to hear derr and kitty got away O.K. Sounds like the squirrel got the brunt of your bad luck also with animal/vehicle relationships . But you did the most humane thing possible for the squirrel putting him out of his misery . Do I hear squirrel soup anyone ? Shaken, not stirred ! O.K. Bad joke, gross I know. I'll stop. It must have freaked out the pioneers who were with you ! Also, that bird you hit sounded like he was doing the kamikaze pilot thing like deer sometimes do. What is it with these animals . Sounds like they all want a role in the old Charles Bronson Death Wish movies ! Jeez! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• flipper
    flipper

Anybody else with animal crashing experiences ? Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• erynw
    erynw

I have hit deer before. My college dorm flag football coach was killed when he hit a deer and it came up through the windshield. Very sad.

• flipper
    flipper

ERYN- So sorry to hear the coach was killed by hitting the deer. It truly is amazing how dangerous those deer can be the way they run suddenly out in front of cars. Peace out to you sis ! Mr. Flipper

• BFD
    BFD

When I was visiting the Grand Canyon a few years ago there were signs everywhere: Speed Limit 15. I swear I was going no more than 10 mph when a bird flew into the front of the Montero I was driving. I was so upset and of course the whole rest of the trip my significant other had to keep reminding me that I killed that little birdie. (No wonder he's an ex) It must have been a suicidal bird.

On a much sadder note, my Uncle was killed instantly after hitting a horse on a country road. It came through the windshield.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit