Confirmed! Watchtower Feb 15 08 brings the "generation" change

by observador 175 Replies latest watchtower bible

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

Thanks for that quote from COC! I knew I read it in there before but could not find the exact page.

Its interesting that Ray Franz said the idea of applying "this generation" to the anointed had been floating around the GB for years. I am convinced that the GB always has several "angles" to spin things readily availble to them at any given time. Lilly

• observador
    observador

Narkissos,

I don't think the article is available in English yet. That's why I'll be posting the scans in Portuguese with some pieces translated.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Obrigado, observador.

I'm actually surprised that it is not available in English yet...

• observador
    observador

Ok, here are the articles' scans, just to give you a taste of them when they are eventually available in English.

Pages 21 through 25:

Enjoy!

Observador.

• observador
    observador

Translation of the box on page 25:

"This generation" - Can we calculate its duration?

The word "generation" generally refers to people of various ages living in a given period or event. For example, Exodus 1:6 says: "Eventually Joseph died, and also all his brothers and all that generation". Joseph and his brothers were of different ages, but went through the same things during the same period. "That generation" included Joseph's brothers who were born before him. Some of them lived longer than Joseph. (Gen. 50:24) Others of 'that generation', such as his brother Benjamin, were born after Joseph and maybe continued to live after Joseph died.

Therefore, when the term "generation" is used to refer to people who lived in a given period, it is not possible to specify the exact duration of that period, except to say that it has an end and that it is not too long. So, by using the expression "this generation", as registered in Mathews 24:34, Jesus did not give his disciples a formula to determine when the "last days" would end. Instead, Jesus stressed that they wouldn't know 'the day nor the hour'. - 2 Tim.3:1; Mat.24:36

Yep, it is confusing. In the body of the article, GB says that the generation is a "prolonged period"; in the box above, it says that it is not so long. I don't know.... they want to get cover in all sides.

Observador.

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

IT IS A HUGE CHANGE.

It used to mean "all the people gathered around a significant date"

ie - French Revolution, War of independence, Battle of Waterloo, WW1etc.

Then (in line with the "Greatest Man" book ) all those alive when Armageddy comes.

Then those wicked ones alive at Armageddy, who refused to recognize the sign as prfesented by the Witlesses.

Now they claim that Jesus said that THE ANNOINTED would by no means pass away before Armageddy.

FOUR mutually contradictory changes now, and they expect us to believe that the Holy Ghost toold them what to write!!!!????

HB

• Neo
    Neo

Ha! The excuse they make up to support a different meaning of "this generation" in the Olivet Discourse is that he was speaking to only four people, his disciples, "privately. (Mat 24:3)"

They also look for a way to connect it to the context:

(Matthew 24:32-34) 32 “Now learn from the fig tree as an illustration this point: Just as soon as its young branch grows tender and it puts forth leaves, YOU know that summer is near. 33 Likewise also YOU, when YOU see all these things, know that he is near at the doors. 34 Truly I say to YOU that this generation will by no means pass away until all these things occur.

They try to establish a parallel between 'You/all these things' in verse 33 and 'this generation/all these things' in verse 34. Thus, "this generation" in the context of Matthew 24 would have a different meaning from all the other "generation" verses that speak otherwise. "This generation" in the Olivet Discourse would be his 'annointed disciples', who can discern his "presence."

Neo

• observador
    observador

If anyone has the magazine in English and want to provide the scans, let me know and I'll host them.

• Beagle
    Beagle

The English edition has a picture /artists impression of a group of old people under the 'new light' GRRRRRR woof bite - logical indication to R and F is this is an old class.

Prophecy from Beagle - in June we'll see a new article saying that the number of GENUINE anointed is less than 4,000

The end is near. We should all pioneer and convert more.

Mark this as the true sage words of the Beagle!

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

I just looked through Edmond C. Gruss's book "Jehovah's Witnesses" and was surprized that the teaching and even the wording of the Feb 15th, 2008 Watchtower is quite similar to a Interesting Question in the Watch Tower of Feb 15th, 1927, p. 62

At the Jordan Jehovah started a new generation, a new creation, of which Christ Jesus is the Head. Jesus selected twelve disciples who were with him for three and one-half years. Eleven of these we have every reason to believe constitute a part of that new creation. In 1 Peter 2:9 the apostel, speaking to the church of course, referred to those who are faithful. The irresistable conclusion therefore is that Jesus referred to the new creation when he said: "This generation shall not pass until all these things be fulfilles." This then would be a strong indication that some member of the new creation will be on earth at the time of Armageddon.

It is striking that the last sentences are very similar:

"This then would be a strong indication that some member of the new creation will be on earth at the time of Armageddon." (15th Feb, 1927)

"This indicates that some of anointed brothers of Christ will still be alive on earth when the foretold great tribulation begins." (15th Feb, 2008)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit