Creationism is Stupid, Stupid, STOOOOPID!

by Farkel 71 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

BA,

When you pull your head out of your protein skimmer you will realize that what B_Deserter, your junior in age alone, is alluding to is one of the most important discoveries ever made that supports the theory of evolution, that of the transitional discovered in Canada a few years ago which once and for all puts to bed this whole notion that intermediates have never existed.

Read about it : http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2006/apr/06/evolution.fossils

HS

• monophonic
    monophonic

i wouldn't call christians or those who believe in creation stupid, even though i do love the song 'christianity is stupid' by negativland.

also consider the continued "studies" of marijuana by "scientists". that it's a gateway drug. it's classification is up there as a controlled substance. isn't heroin and marijuana just as punishable by law?

all studies and research needs to be financed. finance for marijuana studies come from people with an agenda. anyone can say it's a gateway drug if someone is predisposed to addiction. if it was legalized, the whole scoring aspect of it, which is also part of the high, would be lost. so, it works for some and doesn't work for others and whoever needs the spin for their personal gain uses it as such.

just like interpreting the bible. (turn your head and cough, wtbts)

just like politician smear campaigns.

so anyone who says they have the answers, whether creationists, evolutionists, scientologists, politicians...for the most part, they're all the same to me and blood letting by leaches was a miracle cure semi recently in human history.

we've made some great advances, but as humans, we still don't know wtf we're doing and what exactly is going on in this world of $h*t.

personally i respect people who have faith in what they have faith in, except when they try to push it on me.

my skepticism is high and for all i know we're the product of some demon hershey squirt.

"all i know is that i don't know nothin'"

"shop as usual / and avoid panic buying"

• Caedes
    Caedes

It seems to be quite common to belittle creationists so I thought I would post something in defense of it. I think we should be careful of just assuming that Scientists have all the answers cut and dried. I have learnt from experience not to put all my trust in what human being says as the indisputable truth. Just thought I'd mention it

I just thought I should mention that you are perfectly at liberty to repeat any of the many experiments that support the theory of evolution, then you can see if your results match that of those pesky scientists. There is no trust in science, if your experiment can't be repeated by others then it isn't science. So do you fancy putting your money where your mouth is?

I have never heard science claiming to have all the answers, because if they did then there wouldn't be a need for any more science.

I would agree that it is dangerous to accept what anyone says as being indisputable truth, luckily science doesn't make that claim and any creationist worth their salt would not do so either. So don't take my word for it or any other scientists, go look at the evidence, repeat the experiments and prove it yourself.

• wanderlustguy
    wanderlustguy

One of the most difficult issues I have yet to see explained by pro-creationists is how do you get to all the races we have today from only 2 people, or even just Noahs family.

When has there ever been a couple, lets just say an arabic couple in this instance, to go into the hospital to have a baby and then make the news because the kid is black, asian, or caucasian?

The same for animals, imagine the genetic defects that would come from all the incest if the simple cut and dried creationist version was the truth.

Faith has nothing to do with this issue, asian folks don't make african babies. There must be a different truth.

But still, the dirt had to come from somewhere...God did it...plus I have to believe that since from the dirt came our sense of humor...she's probably laughing her ass off at us.

WLG

p.s. Just because you may believe that two people are responsible for the billions of folks alive today doesn't mean I think you are an idiot, I just disagree.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou
    Farkel: After all of this, why do I still believe in a Creator? Well, where did the dirt we are made of come from?
    Nicolaou: After all of this, why do I not believe in a Creator? Well, where did the stuff he is made of come from?

Stuff or dirt is manifestly here. To argue that it is the product of yet more complex stuff requires a greater leap than accepting it was always here in some form. Of course, the same could be argued for god. He most certainly could have always been here but why struggle to swallow such a complex camel?

I believe that god may exist - really I do. But the overwhelmingly simple alternative that he doesn't just makes so much more sense.

• Farkel
    Farkel

nicolau,

You said:

Farkel: After all of this, why do I still believe in a Creator? Well, where did the dirt we are made of come from?
    Nicolaou: After all of this, why do I not believe in a Creator? Well, where did the stuff he is made of come from?

: Stuff or dirt is manifestly here.

Sort of a take off on the anthropic principle, methinks.

:To argue that it is the product of yet more complex stuff requires a greater leap than accepting it was always here in some form.

It hurts our puny heads either way, doesn't it?

: Of course, the same could be argued for god. He most certainly could have always been here but why struggle to swallow such a complex camel?

There is no way for humans to be able to swallow it. Those who attempt it will always be left empty-handed or full of superstitions.

Einstein and other cosmologists stated that before the Big Bang, no time, matter or energy existed, but that is still being debated. If Einstein was right, then the term "before the Big Bang" is meaningless, since "before" requires a context of time to mean anything. If that is the case, then either a Creator existed for eternity, or the stuff of the big bang existed for eternity, or both. If that is not the case as some string theory advocates propose, then we have to wrestle with a dozen or more different dimensions in our minds and my mind is simply not capable of dealing with that.

So, in essense, you are right. It is futile to try to deal with pre-Big Bang stuff. Scientists won't touch the untouchable and science won't deal with beliefs about it.

:I believe that god may exist - really I do. But the overwhelmingly simple alternative that he doesn't just makes so much more sense.

That's fine. Either way, we don't know. I need to believe in a benign God. I feel better about life doing so, and I feel better thinking that God doesn't really mind whether people believe in Him or not. Yet, I offer no rational reason for it or arguments for it either, since there are none to offer.

Farkel

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hmm, should I make rice or potatoes with supper tonight? Is rice superior to potatoes, or is potatoes superior or are they just different sidedishes, each with their own pros and cons. Guess it depends on personal tastes.

And thank you Farkel, I now know that not only is Creationism stupid, its Stupid, Stupid, STOOOOPID!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

Actually, we are all just figments of Fark's imagination.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Just look at what scientists are telling us:
    15 billion years ago there was a huge release of energy (Big Bang) and almost immediately after that this energy turned very orderly (Anthropic Principle) into specific forces, quarks, atoms, molecules, to develop further into star-systems, stars and planets, for making it possible, one step further, for life to emerge on at least this planet Earth, resulting in the appearance of creative organisms, of which man most stand out in being a culture-creating ‘creature’, pondering on for instance the meaning of life. And all this went on against the all permeating force of decay (Second Law of Thermodynamics), suggesting a persistent drive to grow in complexity, towards an evermore interesting, alive and richly varied universe. Is there a God or anything like that responsible, out there, within us, somewhere ? Left aside any mystical experience one might have or not, my logical brain almost cries out in saying:

Yes!

Not very stoooopid, IMHO

Burn

• Satanus
    Satanus

Burn the ships

'Is there a God or anything like that responsible, out there, within us, somewhere ? Left aside any mystical experience one might have or not, my logical brain almost cries out in saying:

Yes!'

I don't understand. Isn't logic counter to mysticism and god belief?

S

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit