Invited to a baby shower-by someone who hates me

by Angry_Kangaroo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

This is just me, but I'm thinking that a year's supply of condoms and birth control pills would be the best gift these people could get. The last thing they need is to bring another child into this world.

LMAO! That is the best gift idea yet Scully!

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore

Buy them a case of condoms.

Edited:Darn, joke already taken...

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I add my vote, don't go to the shower. Don't buy a gift. If she asks why (she sounds ballsy enough to do that) just say "get real." Could cause a problem, though, if the husbands are friends.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I would go with Scully's answer.

I long ago stopped going to baby showers because I realized the only reason I was being invited was because of the gift. What else was I supposed to think when these girls didn't say hello? While it is possible it wasn't them who did the inviting - probably a relative - I didn't care. Why should bad behavior be rewarded? This is like throwing money into the street as far as I am concerned.

Anybody who hates your guts has no busine$$ looking for anything from you.

LHG

• dinah
    dinah

Why in the world would a baby need an Ipod? Why not write a note and say you will not attend a "Mom Shower"

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I vote for not going to the shower or getting a gift. You don't have to accept every invite given, especially from someone who hates you...

Josie

• bite me
    bite me

I'm glad you noticed the "she's using me" before it was too late. I agree with the posters on this thread. Get the kid the stuff, it's a babyshower, not a wish list of what the adults could get. I agree, smack her for ever poster here. :-) I don't see how that kid will need a $240 dollar IPOD.. get a picture of one and enclose that. There's your IPOD lady. I feel bad for the people, to a point, but if you are not able to make ends meet don't ask for something your baby cannot really use. IF anything I would be asking for a carseat or stroller, like most normal people! I know those get expensive, a group of my friends and I went together on one for another friend of ours. She didn't even ask for it, but we all knew she needed one. When we asked her why she didn't put it on her list she said it was too expensive and didn't want to make people feel obligated to get one so she asked for really inexpensive stuff. She got more than she asked for.

I cannot remember the poster who started this thread, I'm sorry. With time I'll get better with names. I would not go to the party. From your story I too get a sense of she's using anyone who goes. Who wouldn't give up going to a party, right? You are free to make your own choice, but I think you would be unhappy when she is not even talking to you once you get there. Don't get gift cards either, she'll save them up for that ipod. Get (if you do) actual baby stuff and condoms while you are at it. I know it's been said already, but it is true. lol

• carla
    carla

I would get her a baby care book and drop it off somewhere for someone else to take. Vicki Lansky has a great spiral bound book on making your own baby food and clay and cheap fun stuff for babies & toddlers. Sorry I can't remember the name it's been awhile! Or see the lowest cd you can buy the kid and make it a 20 year one if possible or some kind of money account the parents can't touch.

What is with people having two baby showers? Where I'm at it was always tradition that you only get one and you better save all your stuff if your having more than one. People would naturally drop by with boy/girl things if you got the opposite of what you arleady have or if the was a huge time span between kids then there would be another baby shower. As for her asking for an IPOD, maybe someone should remind her the gifts are for the baby not her.

• Quandry
    Quandry

I do feel sorry for the poor baby. To save the friendship between the husbands, I would just buy diapers and send them over. I would certainly have something to do during the time of the shower.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

My policy is to only surround myself with positive people. Stay away from negativity as much as you can control it. Sure makes these kinds of decisions easier and life more enjoyable. Enough said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit