Invited to a baby shower-by someone who hates me

by Angry_Kangaroo 23 Replies latest jw friends

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

I received an invite to go to a baby shower. No big deal normally, I love shopping for baby stuff, but this woman despises me. Seriously. She has ignored me everytime we meet. She was friends with my hubby when he was growing up, ended up marrying his best friend, and used to call my hubby several times a week and talk for over an hour about nothing(hubby works full time and goes to college, plus he has a 3 year old daughter). My husband really can't stand her anymore, since she has caused so much trouble for us. She even ruined the only recording of our wedding-she was in front of my brother while he was recording, saying how she couldn't believe it, we shouldn't be getting married, etc. She has no idea I have that on video. Now she want me to buy her a gift!

On top of that, she called my husband to tell him where she is registered and how "we need everything on the list". She is registered at three places, and has a 250$ IPOD on the list! AND a 80$ transformer! WTF!? This family is very poor, she refuses to work, her husband won't get a better job then he has because they don't want to lose food stamps, they live in a single wide 3 bedroom trailer with his mom, and already have one child. They got pregnant on purpose. Her husband did not want another kid, he knows they cannot afford it, but she threatned to leave him if he didn't get her pregnant. The baby is a boy, and will have to share a room with his 4 year old sister, that is about the size of an average walk in closet. Oh yeah, and they have no health insurance.

I am torn. I DO NOT want to go. She is clearly using me, and everyone else involved in this shower to get everything they need. They were completly irresponsible to get pregnant in the first place when they know they can't afford it. On the other hand, I feel sorry for the kid. He really is going to have it rough. Would getting a few boxes of diapers(there is only 2 on the registry, but an IPOD...) and some onesies be that bad? But I don't won't to encourage this attitude...

Suggestions?

• cyd0099
    cyd0099

If it were me, I'd bypass the party and in the future make gifts of what is actually needed. It avoids the extravagant iPod B.S. but still helps the children.

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo

If anyone buys that ipod for her, I think I might smack them.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    She even ruined the only recording of our wedding-she was in front of my brother while he was recording, saying how she couldn't believe it, we shouldn't be getting married, etc. She has no idea I have that on video. Now she want me to buy her a gift!

And you are tolerating her existence in your life why????? Yeah I would buy her a gift alright, a self help book. Go to the party? No way. If some chick did that at my wedding, then was calling my hubby to talk for hours, hello, she has a thing for your husband, big time. I'd consider you a saint for not ripping a strip off her. Let alone, buying her anything!

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

i too hated baby showers and bridal showers, just an excusee to try and get a free gift from us. They wouldn't take the time to invite us over to their houses, but dang bang when their kids got married or were having a baby they didn't forget us then. we got tired of it, the only invites you got from some of these people was when they wanted a gift from you. so we started declining all invitations

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere
    If anyone buys that ipod for her, I think I might smack them.

Smack them again - for me.

-Aude.

• Angry_Kangaroo
    Angry_Kangaroo
    If some chick did that at my wedding, then was calling my hubby to talk for hours, hello, she has a thing for your husband, big time

I know it, even my hubby's sister said the same thing, and my sister, and my best friend....It is really obvious. What is strange is that she is crazy over her own husband too. I guess she wants them both, who knows. I'm not worried, my husband does not like her that way(well doesn't like her at all period). He is friends with her husband, and her 4 year old daughter is friends with my stepdaughter. So shes kinda around whether we want her or not.

Smack them again - for me.

High five, Aude Sapere!

• primitivegenius
    primitivegenius

if the kid is a boy.......... buy pink diapers............. if a girl buy blue ones.

even better........ buy depends for mommy cause she apparently is full of s***

• Scully
    Scully

This is just me, but I'm thinking that a year's supply of condoms and birth control pills would be the best gift these people could get. The last thing they need is to bring another child into this world.

Having said that, I'd probably not even waste my money on people who are such @$$holes.

Just because you've been invited to a baby shower does not obligate you to give them anything at all.

If you are asked at some time in the future why you didn't go or send a gift.... feign ignorance: "Really? Of all the people she knows, why on earth would she invite me to her baby shower - everyone knows she hates my guts."

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Don't go to the shower. Don't buy a gift. Don't send money.

Life is short, and there's no point in wasting time and resources on people we don't like and vice versa. You owe her nothing, and you owe nothing to her offspring. If you want to give gifts, give them to someone you like who is in need, or find a worthwhile charity.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit