We Should Give Newbies the Benefit of the Doubt

by flipper 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

Lissa you have a welcoming PM.

If newbies have broken no forum rules, and don't poke fun at us, we should welcome them here. Some people seem to be using Trevor-gate as an excuse to be rude to people who do not deserve it.

Even JW's with questions should be welcome here. I don't know what some people are afraid of.

In the case of "inactive" yesterday and Lissa today, people came here with scenarios that may not have been your run-of-the-mill JW experience, but they needed support. If you don't feel like supporting someone, but they're not hurting anyone, then go to another thread for Pete's sake. Don't come here and call "troll" on someone who has broken no forum rules and isn't poking fun at us.

What harm does it do to give newbies, even with stories we hadn't heard before, some benefit of the doubt? I know that if they really did come here for our support (and I'm assuming they did until it's proven otherwise) and they felt turned away, then we hurt them. Or in the case of Lissa today, that JW poster (who apparently lives for the attention she gets her) hurt her.

• flipper
    flipper

Thanks for your replies! Good thoughts by all of you ! A good subject to discuss and clear the air a bit ! Thanks.

4 MY LOVE- I agree with you. Just because a long time poster screwed up, let's not take it out on the newbies ! I think we should all look out for the newbies !

HELNCON- I too feel we should welcome them and be cautious at the same time ! I feel the reason some people post quickly and we never hear from them again is because they are lurkers still in good standing as witnesses, they dip their toe into our site here, then run back into the organization before they get exposed ! Cowards who don't want to be discovered.

IIBH- Exactly trust them until we are given good reason not to ! They need to unload too!

DINAH- I know I'm not goin' back to the witnesses Dinah ! I think you can tell the difference in a troll who wants to make trouble , he makes a quick negative post, then cowardly runs away back to the org. and we never hear again from him ! Different than one wanting solutions to their problems !

OUTLAW- LOL! You are funny as hell! Where do you get these little emoticons ? They are great ! Good stuff! Thanks for the humor ! But, be nice to these newbies, or I'll have to call some big-a$$ hairy ape circuit overseer I know up there in the north woods and have him come work ya over a little bit ! And I bet he's a lot taller and bigger than you ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Maddie
    Maddie

It is a shame that because of posters like Trevor, all newbies are under suspicion. It is also understandable that when people have been deceived and possibly hurt after they have shown love and compassion, they are on their guard against it happening again.

However, there might be more at stake for JWD if supicion and distrust are allowed to destroy the primary purpose of the forum. JWD is a safe place for all those hurt by the WT, to come together and strenghten and support one another. How the WT would love to see it collapse and not function anymore, that would really be playing into their hands! So let us all stay united and continue to be a big thorn in the side of the WT.

Maddie

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There have been a couple of them today that are highly suspect of not telling the truth.
    I have given them the benefit of the doubt.

Yesterday, I had to call it out. I promised I wouldn't call that one out anymore, so they
    can continue to post if they like.

I won't point them out anymore. We also had a couple of genuine people looking for help.

• DublDipd
    DublDipd

Flipper...

As a newbie...I would like to say that I have found my experience(s) on this site informative and pleasant. I was welcomed aboard the very first time that I posted. This is an incredible forum. Only people that were raised or spent time involved in the JW's can TRULY empathize with each other. I would like to thank Mr. Flipper and the organizers of this site for an opportunity to have true and meaningful interaction with other folks that can appreciate each others circumstances.

I feel that the site is well-balanced between light conversation, doctrinal issues and personal experiences. It is enjoyable to visit here and see that one is not alone with memories of their sometimes traumatized pasts.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Flipper..I bring them in by StageCoach!..Machine Gun 2..Very often I have to change my appearance..Doctor..But..I always manage to get the little buggers on JWD..One way or another!..Clapping 2Clapping 2..Woohoo 2..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Well that helped alot, Outlaw. Showoff!!

• flipper
    flipper

LOVELY LISA- A lot of people on the board are oversensitive over the "trevor" scam I pmed you about. Please don't take it personally ! We welcome you here friend, and want you to stay so we can help you ! Please stay ! Most of us are nice here ! You are very welcome here ! Peace!

CLAM- I agree bro. It is the emperors we have to watch! Oh! Sorry didn't notice you are an emperor! It's O.K. you're cool ! I must admit I've never seen a turd in a punchbowl before !? I've seen little fishturds in aquariums though ! Probably not the kind you are referring to though! Remind me to have you bring the punch next time to a potluck ! LOL!

MOMZCRAZY- I agree wrong motives will be shown up in time. I've pmed Lisa as others here have too. I hope it helps. But there truly is a difference between honesty and being rude. Some don't seem to have the social skills to see the difference ! .

OUTLAW- Nice welcome for Lisa. I'm sure she will truly be impressed ! Has your hairy circuit overseer called on you yet ?

GOPHER- Good post bro! I think people are using the "Trevor " thing as an excuse to be rude also ! It is so true what you said that if they don't like what is discussed on a certain thread, go to another one ! Just like changing channels on the T.V. easy to do. But we do need to give newbies the benefit of the doubt or a lot of hurtful damage could be done! We certainly don't want them going back to the witness cult mind control! Ecch! I think we need to feel their tears more fully. Be more sympathetic! We want it for ourselves, do they deserve it any less? No.

MADDIE- Newbies should not suffer because of what long term posters do ! You are right that if suscpicion and distrust are allowed on the board, then it would disrupt the very purpose of this board, to give support and empathy for those who truly need it ! We do need to stay united and encourage one another like you say !

OTWO- Yeah, I think it is important to remember we all need help. Remember how it was when we all first joined this, we derived benefit from the support we got ! So newbies especially need it. We all have our stories of what the cult did to us. True some are more believable than others, however it has well been stated that truth is stranger than fiction my friend ! The things I saw the cult do to me , incredibly idiotic treatment by elders, has made me want to scream, but I prefer to take that pent up energy to help others get out too! That's how I deal with the stress! Peace out to you OTWO, and others, thanks for your comments! Keep replying, thanks

• flipper
    flipper

DUBLIDPD- Thanks for the kind words ! I agree. Having been raised in it makes me feel badly for the way people have been treated. It is good we can ineract and help one another ! Peace to you !

OUTLAW- O.K. partner, remind me to saddle up my horse, strap my leathers on, and lock and load my guns ! I'll be ready for some of them thar fireworks partner ! Watch for that hairy C.O. though! lol!

MOMZCRAZY- Outlaw is cool! He's a funny, comical guy. Just lived by himself in a remote place for too long ! LOL! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Where is inactive? today?

purps

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit