We Should Give Newbies the Benefit of the Doubt

by flipper 53 Replies latest jw friends

• Warlock
    Warlock

Flippy,

My feelings about inactive's story have nothing to do with the Trevor fiasco.

Something in the story just didn't add up for me. I will try to find time to go back and read it again.

By the way, I have felt that way about a few other newbies, but very few.

Warlock

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Something in the story just didn't add up for me. I will try to find time to go back and read it again.

By the way, I have felt that way about a few other newbies, but very few.

My sentiments exactly, Warlock.

• justhuman
    justhuman

doubt comes from satan

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    doubt comes from satan

• brinjen
    brinjen

Something in the story just didn't add up for me.

I've been busy with the wolf thread (and a couple others) I never really noticed inactive?'s thread before. Yeah, doesn't add up with me either. Time will tell.

• oppgirl63
    oppgirl63

I'm not a newbie (I've been posting since 2005) and I just recently told my story a couple of weeks ago. There were a few on here that didn't believe me and it's understandable because the story is almost unbelievable (that's why I waited so long to post). But for the most part people believed me or at least they didn't give any indication otherwise. After Trevorgate, I'm even more suspicious of the 'I'm dying' or 'My loved one is dying' threads.

• changeling
    changeling

I really don't feel influenced by "trevorgate" in the least. I'm naturally "warm and fuzzy" and quick to welcome newbies.

That being said, I'm also pretty intuitive and quick to smell a rat.

If it walks like a duck, acts like a duck and looks like a duck, it's usually a duck.

changeling

• hubert
    hubert
    I am guilty, of not being nice to 1 newbie. It was, faith in ??????? Thailand.

Horrible life, if you forgive me, I'll forgive you, because I did exactly the same thing as you did. I have been here for over 3 years, and as far as I know, this was the first time I ever was not nice to a "newbie". In fact, I always feel bad for the "underdog", and many times post on the "newbie" sites because I don't see anyone else posting on them. I do this to give them encouragement, because I was there once, too.

In my very first post over 3 years ago, I had a couple of people "harassing" me, and the only reason I stayed here was because many more members pleaded with me to "stick around" and not pay attention to them.So, it's to these "blessed ones" I owe my allegiance.

I do want to mention that I waited until I had "evidence" before I posted negatively on "Faith in Thailands" thread, but only in my opinion, which I could be 100% wrong. So, I apologize for this, and like "Horrible Life", pledge not to do this again.

Very, very sincerely,

Hubert

• zack
    zack

If a story is implausible or highly suspect, like say, Jesus returning invisibly, why should I swallow it in order to give someone the benefit of the doubt?

If it's BS, it's BS. If someone gets "hurt" by a frank and open assessment of their "story", when their story is in the fantasy stratoshpere, then they either need to develop

a thicker skin or tell the truth.

• flipper
    flipper

HAL9000- Thanks for your post. Good points. Different people have different needs coming out of the witness organization. I'm glad JWD has helped you understand the ins and outs of your wifes crazy cult she is in! Others needs are being met here too, and it is good to respect that.

FINALLY FREE- I agree newbies should be civil too ! I told a newbie about a month ago to back off from Restrangled as this poster was being very insulting to her ! And I have seen other posters stand up in behalf of someone being verbally lambasted! It's good we are looking out for one another ! Like you, I too have been followed by elders, stalked by them and others, and have been talked about behind my back too. So I totally understand like you Finally Free, that anything can happen ! Nothing surprises me anymore with that cult .

WARLOCK- I understand inactives post seemed really strange. However remember being in that cult was strange too! Lots of weird experiences. But I agree, I see your point!

JUST HUMAN- Doubt comes from Satan ? Who is he ?

BRINJEN- Time will tell all, I agree. Maybe this inactive will post again, maybe not , but it has been interesting. We shall see!

OPPGIRL63- I know what you say. Weird stories are hard to believe! Gawd, I hope none of us die in the next year or so, we all would want some sympathy!

CHANGELING- I know you are warm and fuzzy as you say ! Let me rephrase that ! I know you are warm emotionally and fuzzy over newbies and others joining the board ! You have always been very welcoming and caring towards others. You and others like NVR, have a very good intuition into people ! I respect that!

HUBERT- Don't beat yourself up over the past buddy, we all are a big family here and say stuff we sometimes regret, myself included ! We all enjoy your posts here and you have always welcomed many here too!

ZACK- I agree with you. If it really is BS, then we can't sugarcoat it. But it might take a little time to notice the BS. But you and I both know Jesus isn't coming back in the heavens, so we won't have to worry about posters seeing him ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit