Why is religion such a mass of confusion?

by evergreen 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• evergreen
    evergreen

As a person who has not attended meetings for some time now, and having stood back and looked at the thousands of different faith groups, organisations, churches etc I often think how on earth are we to know what direction to go. If a person looks deeply into their own faith questioning how, what and why... the deeper the hole gets as to errors. From my own experience having firstly been a Catholic then a JW, all I see are manmade rituals and rules mingled in with biblical principles and commandments. When I have read up on other christian faiths and their fundamental beliefs, I just find the same thing. This very much confuses me and wonder how the ordinary man and woman on the street can ever find the true faith.

I believe in a number of things in the bible such as the raising of Lazarus; as their were eyewitnesses who saw that event. Again the many miracles witnessed by many etc. But yet some of the bible just seems far fetched and puzzling. Then there is the twisting of scriptures to suit the beliefs of the thousands of Christain denominations around the world. Confused? I am.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Religion was invented by mankind to try and explain the unexplainable. To go back to a religion now means you'd have to listen to what a man (or group of people) will tell you about THEIR idea of a god and how such a god should be praised and mollified, and give you vague promises of what said god can do.

The premise "where are we to go" is one presented by the JW's, and is misleading. You don't NEED to go anywhere. Well, certain people need or want to have guidance on every little thing in life. Is there "true faith"? Faith is something one believes, and is not verifiable. The sun rises in the east -- that's verifiable. Faith statements are not verifiable. So if anyone says there is a "true faith", they are not making a verifiable statement.

"Some of the Bible seems far-fetched and puzzling."

I deeply agree with this. It's a book cobbled together and presented as the word of God, when it's mainly a book prepared to hold Jewish tribes together, and later to build a faith around a Jewish teacher. You may find this link supports your puzzlement: www.skepticsannotatedbible.com

As far as the raising of Lazarus, could that be far-fetched too? The fact that the Bible SAYS there were eyewitnesses does not mean it's a fact. Same goes for the miracles. Many ancient religions contain superhuman fables presented as fact. Could it be that the Jewish-Christian holy book was one that gained more prominence than the others due in large part to the military conquests of its believers? (I think so.)

• evergreen
    evergreen

Thanks for the link Gopher.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

My personal short answer? Because it's all man made.

One person beats the other in the head with passages from the same book (sometimes the same passage!) and the other retorts in the same manner, and yet both claim to have the only correct understanding. Granted, this happens in other fields of thought as well, but in this case it is (according to them) a matter of life or death, and of how people of the other meaning (faith) should be viewed and treated "in this life", not to mention the next.

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

If I wrote a historically correct book which was about world war 1, and all the book's intricate details were verifiable, and all the people I mentioned by name could be looked up and their existence verified, there would be good grounds for you to believe me and the stories the book told. But if the same book in addition started telling the story of how my grandfather fought the Germans - - - - - - - by using his supernatural powers of flight, invisibility and invulnerability - - - - - - - you should rightly become a little more suspicious.

-Would that suspicion really change into belief, simply because I added "- and several eye witnesses saw it happening, among them were Arnold Gatsby and Reginald McGowan (all sadly deceased some time ago, most of old age)" ? Let's say I wrote the book 80 years after the events with my grandfather supposedly happened, and claimed to have interviewed some of the eye witnesses before they passed away.

-Would I perhaps sway you if I included as a finishing statement in my book "All events mentioned in this book are accurately rendered, and are true. My grandfather never ever lied to me. Anyone doubting what I have written here are calling me and my grandfather and all those eye witnesses liars, and are also therefore defiling their memory." ?

What if you read my book two thousand years from now, and found historical artifacts showing my book to be historically verifiable?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    I believe in a number of things in the bible such as the raising of Lazarus; as their were eyewitnesses who saw that event. Again the many miracles witnessed by many etc.

Huh?

So if I write a book, and say this or that happened, and follow up with 2000 saw it right before their very eyes that's enough to convince you that said event really took place?

You are much more intelligent than that.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

It should not surprise us, as Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 11:13-15:

13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

As Christ Himself taught, as well as His disciples, there would be many who would teach falsely, but only one "narrow path" that led to truth, so we are to discern by fruits (the fruits of the Holy Spirit) which "Christians" are true, and which are false, and build our spirituality upon rock, truth, faith (Matthew 7:13-27):

The Narrow and Wide Gates

13 "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14 But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

A Tree and Its Fruit

15 "Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves. 16 By their fruit you will recognize them. Do people pick grapes from thornbushes, or figs from thistles? 17 Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18 A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19 Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20 Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.

21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23 Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

The Wise and Foolish Builders

24 "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash."

It should not surprise us, as Paul wrote in 2 Corinthians 11:13-15:

13 For such men are false apostles, deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ. 14 And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light. 15 It is not surprising, then, if his servants masquerade as servants of righteousness. Their end will be what their actions deserve.

Real faith must be placed in God, through Christ, not men (organized religion). Develop faith in Him through daily heartfelt prayer, Bible Study, and practicing the Fruits of the Holy Spirit, and doing His will, and you will find your way to the narrow path, avoiding the confusion caused by manmade religion.

BA

• JCanon
    JCanon

ACT 13l 41 ‘Behold it, YOU scorners, and wonder at it, and vanish away, because I am working a work in YOUR days, a work that YOU will by no means believe even if anyone relates it to YOU in detail.’”

Well, it would seem the "confusion" is pre-ordained for some. But for others, like myself: crystal clarity.

JCanon

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Hey, JC, look up Judges 1:19 . Oh, I am so scared, behold a god who cannot defeat iron chariots shall smite us down, heathens that we are. Maybe if I slaughter a bull and let the sweet aroma of its blood lift up to the heavens, he'll forgive me and not rain down death. Seriously , how can people buy this stuff?

• Awakened07
    Awakened07

Quoting a book to prove the book is right. It's a classic.

• justhuman
    justhuman

because they all like to control us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit