USA parts not worth visiting

by greendawn 80 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

Thanks everyone for the replies there are many useful tips and suggestions and it will take a good map (also Google earth) and a good analysis to get the most out of them.

Flat lands are boring for most people unless they contain interesting cities eg in Northern Italy there are many beautiful renaissance cities and their cultural treasures in an otherwise unintersting landscape. I suppose flat land meant good agricultural potential which was the main source of wealth in the past.

I realise that the USA is an enormous country that's why I want to avoid wasting time to unintersting places. I plan to be there before the peak tourist period (can't stand big crowds and congestion) of July and August, over six weeks from Mid May to end of June. So I can only see so much and will choose carefully. I usually move at a relaxed pace and never rush hectically to see as much as possible during the trip.

I like beautiful natural scenery of any kind mountains, coastlands, lakes etc but also anything to do with culture and important historical developments. Also to examine the local cuisine, folklore and general customs.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    between Detroit and Chicago. The interstate (80/90) highway is awful

Travel between the same 2 cities on US 12 and see a real slice of America. Get off the Interstates... they show the US at it's worst in so many cases

~Hill

• ronin1
    ronin1

OK.........I was half-sleeping/napping when I responded with that post.

Sorry for the geographic error.

Ronin1

• ronin1
    ronin1

If you go to Chicago, stay at the Hotel that Oprah has her penthouse.

This hotel is awesome and the rooms are beautiful.

Ronin1

• JH
    JH

I'm always thrilled to go to the USA especially now that our money can buy so much more US dollars.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff
    But I bareley speak Canadian!!

And barely english eh?

• Thegoodgirl
    Thegoodgirl

If anyone is still reading:

Avoid South Dakota's "Mt. Rushmore". It was so depressing, we just about died. It was at that depressing point where it was almost interesting to see how miserable the lives of those people were. Well, okay perhaps they like the small-town life. But the biggest city in South Dakota is smaller than most small towns. Not even a WalMart! (that I saw.)

I didn't care much for Seattle.

Or LA. Just a big suburb with loads of traffic.

Didn't like Nashville. Too over-touristy. Seemed to have lost its charm. (But maybe we didn't visit the right places.)

• wednesday
    wednesday

Kansas. We usually just get on the interstate and drive like h*ll. It's just barren waste. trust me, get on the interstate and drive about 80 and get out of Kansas as fast as possible Wyoming is also pretty desolate in certain areas.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I have to agree about Chicago. I was blown away by the architecture. Just ouside the massive museum is a panorama of the city towers, nearly all designed by internationally recognized architechts. The waterfront park is also a tribute to Chicago's forefathers, who believed that such beauty belonged to "all people". Gotta love those humanist forefathers.

After Chicago, why don't you take a cruise ship across the great lakes to enjoy the wilds of western Ontario?

http://www.greatlakescruising.com/itineraries.php

• POs Son
    POs Son

This really is an amazing thread! What I have learned from my limited travel of most of this fine nation is that every area has something amazing to look at. I am a New Englander, and really love it here. Honestly, when we choose to vacation, we stay around here. New Hampshire, Maine and Vermont are wonderful scenic areas with enough forest and mountains to satisfy the outdoors-y types, and enough metro areas to find all the modern amenities of life.

I am not a fan of New Jersey or Delaware, and New York city is "amazing", but living just a couple hours away, I have found it to be more of a hassle than anything. NYC and LA are *NOT* the real America. They are extremes in politics, business, capitalism and tourism. The REAL America is Montpelier, Vermont, Boston, Mass, Route 66, the Great Plains (for all you who think flat land is dull, come visit where we have so many trees that sunrise and sunset are half an hour off from your area due to the shrunk skyline).

Along with the other posters, I advise that you localize your trip. You can spend 2 weeks in an area with a car and do very well. Do NOT rely on our public transport for inter-city travel. Amtrak is an expensive, poor performing government entity that is nothing like its Euro cousins. The US is made by and for the automobile...many families have more cars than they have people. Gasoline is half the price of Euro-Petrol, but you will no doubt end up in a larger vehicle than you are used to at home, and will drive longer distances to go places. On a typical one-week jaunt to northern New Hampshire, we usually drive 900-1000 miles.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit