USA parts not worth visiting

by greendawn 80 Replies latest jw friends

• serendipity
    serendipity

What time of the year are you visiting?
    <br><br>My favorites and places I'd visit again: Grand Canyon, Death Valley (in the winter), San Francisco/Redwood country, Oregon Coast, Seattle, Olympic Peninsula in northwest Washington, Las Vegas, Cape Cod Massachusetts, Bar Harbor Maine, Savannah Georgia, Newport Rhode Island, Los Angeles, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Monterey/Carmel California (thought Big Sur was overrated)
    <br><br>I haven't been to the Tetons or Yosemite national park, Miami, Florida keys, NYC but they're on my list.

And I agree with elsewhere - you can skip Port Arthur Texas-yuck.

• BrentR
    BrentR
    Are you trolling brent, or are you really that stupid? ;-)

Oh please enlighten me that what I drove through a couple years ago was not what I really saw! Maybe I was going too fast to notice the volcanic peaks, the gushing waterfalls and the huge forrests.

Any rondomly selected astroid has more surface features then freakin' Kansas does. Is there a particular feature or attraction that I missed that might increase my intelect in your opinion? Maybe I was asleep and missed all of it.

BTW, who pissed on your pancakes this AM?

• John Doe
    John Doe

You've answered my question. Thanks Brent. ;-)

• BrentR
    BrentR

Anytime!

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

OK, I'm a Californian from way back. I say skip San Francisco, especially skip Yosemite, skip Los Angeles unless you want to see people instead of places. In California, drive along the coast between Ventura and Monterey, go to Mt. Shasta, drive along the high Sierras (highway 395). If you're coming in the summer time, go see the bristlecone pines near Bishop CA. Napa is incredibly congested with traffic, Sonoma is just as nice but has less traffic. San Diego is pretty congested, but pretty, with lots of beaches, the zoo and Balboa Park, Mt. Soledad, Torrey Pines, the small towns in North County along the coast. Las Vegas is worth a couple of days, it's pretty boring longer than that unless you gamble. The Mogollan Rim in Arizona is beautiful, Flagstaff very pretty, and it has a nice museum. The grand canyon is just a big hole in the ground. The lower coast of Oregon is gorgeous buy a book on the bridges in Oregon and go look at them. There are lots of things to see in Washington state along the coast, especially. Oh yes, the giant redwoods - the Avenue of the Giants in northern California.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

A friend of mine came over from London a few years ago.

We travelled some places and I will tell you what he thought, it might help.

We went to New Orleans, Bourban Street....It was incredibly hot and he said it was like SOHO, he was not too impressed, but we had a great time Plus he got a terrible sunburn that made him sick.

He did enjoy the drive down there from Little Rock. I had a big car and he just thought that was great!

We flew to San Diego and rented a convertable......drove up to Napa Valley. Along the way we stayed in Los Angeles which we both hated. Then on up to San Francisco, which I loved and he liked it. We then drove up to Napa Valley which he was not too impressed with......but he has been to Italy and all over Europe and has seen wine country.

We stayed in a little town on the beach on the way back to SanDiego and spent the day at the beach, he really liked that.

We went to Memphis, TN.... Beale Street and Graceland. It was ok, We just went when it was unseasonably cold.

We also went to Nashville, TN, seeing the Grand Ole Opry. I thoroughly enjoyed it. He was really taken in at how nice Nashville was and the money that apparently was there.

I think the main thing when travelling where ever you go is the company you are with or the ones that you go to see. But that is just me. The scenery, the nice places to eat, the drive, all are added bonuses. I could go across the world and if I enjoy the company, can be very happy never leaving the farm, so to speak.

The Hill Country in Texas is an unexpected treat, if you happen to go to Texas. Austin, San Antonio (the Alamo) actually San Antonio is in the top ten cities to vaction in the US. West Texas just sucks, Larado uggg.

St Louis has alot to do, The Arch, the Busch Brewery where they make good ole American Budweiser (hehe) Busch Gardens, Forrest Park, the Planetarium.

You can always come to Little Rock and visit the Clinton Presidential Library. Might see ole Bill and Hillary there!!!! It does have some interesting things to look at about history. And very beautiful inside even if everyone says it looks like a Trailor!!!!

Lake of the Ozarks Missouri is pretty awesome too.

I think it all depends on what you are looking for........city fun, scenery, playing, night life and dancing......history, the beaches, I would definatly hire a car and do some driving if you can.

purps

purps

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I can only say that Brent R and Gopher have stated what I would have, that is, stay away from the midwest, and it really depends on your tastes otherwise.

Do you like beaches, mountains, the "outdoors", natural wonders, hiking, camping, city life, fine dining, shows, museums, art, socialization, music, or what?

The bottom line is that you will find 99.999% of the aforementioned within 100 miles (okay, in some rare cases, 300 miles) of any coastal region of the US. (I would make another exception for the Rocky Mountain chain and the Arizona and New Mexico Desert landscapes).

The interior holds nothing unique other than some geographical oddities such as the badlands, imo.

BA- US, and World, traveler.

• avishai
    avishai
    Just come to Canada instead

But I bareley speak Canadian!!

• ronin1
    ronin1

Yes. Forget Florida.

It's all hype including Miami.

Ronin1

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Go to Chicago, visit Florida-from the Keys to Disneyworld to St. Augustine. Skip LA/Disneyland. You've seen it in the movies already and you should be visiting Florida:). Don't come to seattle-we don't need any more traffic! Take a trip down the west coast, see the oregon coast, the redwoods, 17 mile drive or 6 mile drive. I forget how many miles-Carmel and San Luis Obispo-wonderful.

Kansas City airport is a pit. Don't get routed through there.

Shelly

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit