Racism has reared its ugly head

by dinah 51 Replies latest jw friends

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

And Lucy was purportedly a communist as well! Wow. Shouldn't have let that Cuban-loving Communist have a TV show! hee hee. Nah, I Love Lucy was great. Communists still suck, though.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Isn't this term a holdover from slave owning days, much like the term "Octaroon" for someone that is 1/8th black? I always thought of those words as politically incorrect.

I wonder if there is a word for someone who is partically white or 1/8th white. I think I may be 1/8th white or a bit more according to the family history that is coming out now.

Josie

• snowbird
    snowbird

My paternal great-grandfather was white. Whenever we kids brought up the subject, we were sternly shushed.

Pretty soon, we just stopped asking.

Sylvia

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Yeah I just found out that my paternal great great grandfather was white...and a slave owner

• R.F.
    R.F.

We're all so mixed up.

My mother looks white, even to the point that others thought she was at one time. Her mother is the same way. Came to find out that I have a white great great great grandparent as well.

R.F.

• snowbird
    snowbird

You look pretty White yourself, R. F.

Sylvia

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Back to the specific subject at hand:

I am a fader, so while I won't explain my experience, I speak from experience.

It is possible that the parents of this boy found it easier to allow him, at this tender age,
    to have an infatuation that should go away. Maybe he broke up with a girl after a short
    time, maybe they thought sports or school or hobbies or something would cause him
    to lose interest in this girl. Maybe his cousins or others would make fun of him, and
    they figured he would lose interest.

After awhile, he didn't lose interest. Maybe he indicated it was a strong interest. Well,
    they really didn't want him interested in your daughter so they put a stop to it. I doubt
    it, but it might not even be an issue of race- it could be age or social status. Age is
    highly unlikely, because they would have stopped it at the start most likely. Social
    status is just as bad as racism.

• snowbird
    snowbird

Please note, OTWO:

Post 143 of 153
    since 06-Dec-05

39 y 7 m 9 d

Yes it was race. They started telling the boy that the BIBLE says not to mix races. Guess I left out some details but I didn't want to end up writing a book.
  • OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I read through the 3 pages, must have missed that particular comment.
    I still stand by what I said, except the "maybe it wasn't racism" part.

And remember, it's just an opinion.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Melungeon (another bad term)

A Melungeon (during the formative period from about 1700 to 1860) was someone who was free but thought not to be pure White in the area where the word was used - northern North Carolina, southern and western Virginia, eastern Tennessee, eastern Kentucky, southern West Virginia, southern Ohio, western Louisiana, the eastern edge of Texas, the panhandle of Florida, and northern Alabama. The person might actually be White, but of a darker strain like a Greek or Portuguese. The person might be mixed White and Black, White and Indian or all three. The White might be northern European or Mediterranean or both. A few people may have been of other races, such as South Asian (Tzigane, Asian Indian, etc.).

This is just an excerpt of the story. Link provided below for anyone interested in more.

ArchGoins.jpg Melungeon picture by MilkshakesrtastiArch Goins and family, Graysville MelungeonsPhoto from the 1920's, from a great-nephew in Chattanooga,

http://www.geocities.com/mikenassau/what.htm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit