Racism has reared its ugly head

by dinah 51 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

Hello folks. Seriously need to vent.

My daughter had a boyfriend who broke up with her today because her parents don't want him seeing a half-black girl. He said his parents screamed at him all night. They are both too young to date. ( She's 14 He's 15) But I would let them watch movies together at the house and stuff like that. They were never left alone. ( Might be a mistake on my part but I guess I'm trying to make up for not being able to do ANYTHING).

Last spring, the boy's parents didn't seem to have a problem. They actually dropped by to visit a few times. I have no idea what changed. My guess is a grandparent saw a pic of my daughter.

This different attitude from them started when school started back this year. That's when we found out about their about-face. My husband had to talk me out of just beating the crap out of the boy's mom. I didn't know there was a problem and spoke to her at a high school football game. She turned her head and pretty much told me to talk to the hand. I wanted her to talk to my boots.

I know this is something we will have to deal with, but nothing on God's earth makes me madder that some silly crap like skin color. Part of me just sees my daughter's tears and I guess "Mama Bear" wants to come out and raise a little Cain.

Thanks for listening.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

But half black chicks are super hot. No offense to your daughter or anything.

• changeling
    changeling

I'm so sorry. How awful for your daughter to have her heart broken over something like this.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((dinah))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

changeling

• John Doe
    John Doe

My sister has three kids that are Mulatto. They're going to have a different perspective on life for sure.

I don't agree with what the boy's parents did in your situation, but everyone has the right to date whom they want, parents have the right to tell their kids what they want, and kids will always do what they want anyway. ;-)

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Cosign Burger Time.

Yep, it is very sad that people, even JWs, find ways to justify their ignorance, racism, bigotry, etc.

You did the right thing by not beating her up with so many witnesses around. She wasn't worth the assault charge. Save those for something/someone better.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I'm trying to think of something to say, but words fail me. Your daughter is young; hopefully, this experience will not scar her. Give her a hug for me! I know that it is heartbreaking for you too! (((hugs)))

My mother use to tell me to pray that "God" would give them understanding! At that time, I didn't know what she meant; but now I do!

• dinah
    dinah

Thanks for your kind words. That anger flew out me when all this happened. I did not like the things that were coming out of my mouth. After all, the mother is a human being (although in IMO an ignorant one).

I feel sorry for the boy too. Like I told him a few months back. He lives under their roof and in about three years he can begin to make his own decisions.

• BFD
    BFD

I'm sure you wanted to beat the tar out of her but I'm glad you didn't.

Your daughter must be a beautiful young lady and hopefully this boy's brain won't get to fried by his parent's bigotry.

Go eat some ice cream or have a beer.

Hugs,

BFD

• Dawn
    Dawn

I'm sorry Dinah - people can be so stupid!

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

this kind of stuff make me mad I just got back from my family reunion...mixed kids all over the place...it was beautiful

I just found out that my great-grandfather was half white and the son of a slave owner...there are mixed up people all over this land

Josie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit