Christians - Convert me! I'm Pagan!

by Sirona 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Sirona
    Sirona

Hi

Following on from Terry's thread about mind filters and being open minded......

I'm neo-pagan. For a loose definition of my beliefs see here http://www.religioustolerance.org/neopaga1.htm

But I'm willing to consider Christian belief systems.

Just recently I've been studying the Jewish Kabballah (Qabalah). Some people are Christian Qabalists.

So if you are Christian.....what things do you think I need to consider?

Why is Christianity better than paganism?

Since there are many pagan myths which mirror the Jesus story, why should I take the Jesus story seriously?

I'm actually asking this honestly because I'm willing to be educated, at least I'd like to understand your views better.

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

No takers?

• *summer*
    *summer*

OK...i will be the first taker. but i don't think my opinion will get you much further:-(

you see, i have only recently been "converted" by the JWs. And i'll be damned if i ever try to convert anyone else!

my suggestion...you are sitting at your computer...the sky is the limit. search and search some more. and draw your own conclusion.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

I'm a Christian... but I think that I don't fit the description of the typical fundie Christian...

...looking back, I came so close to being a Pagan myself.

"Do what you will and harm none"... if only the Christians had adhered to that message

For me, it is about what "clicked"... I was exploring faiths and as beautiful and as free-flowing as Wicca was, I just didn't "feel" anything.

Also, I didn't respond to this thread because, if I remember rightly, one of the tenants of Wicca is to not make another deviate from their chosen path, so I felt that I should extend the same to you.

If you boil Christianity down to the two commandments, "Love God, and love your neighbour as you do yourself", we are pretty much in the same place I guess.

To tell you the truth, I guess that I may be classed as a Christian Mystic... but I prefer the term PanENtheist - I believe that we are all "one"... yet God is more than the sum of "creation".

How does that sound ?

• MadTiger
    MadTiger

Good answer!

I am a pagan. What ever qualifiers and adjectives you want to add, do so.

I am NOT a Wiccan, though. Remember, Wicca is a restoration of true worship (hehe, had to throw that in!) of pre-Christian paleothic goddess worship (Google Venus of Willendorf) that was de rigeur in the British Isles and Northern Europe before the Romans started spreading the new Jewish sect. I do not trace my ancestry to that part of the Earth, so it does not "resonate" with me. Some of the same principles do, however. I am an eclectic, with interests in the truth found in my heritage: Black and Native American.

I thought of this when meditating Thursday (full moon): What is the difference between Jesus, and a modern magician/mystic/guru?

• RisingEagle
    RisingEagle
    I thought of this when meditating Thursday (full moon): What is the diffrence between Jesus, and a modern magician/mystic/guru?

I can't remember reading about Jesus locking himself in an icecube ala David Blaine.

Eagle

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

Tell me what it's like to be a pagan - I know nothing and am interested!

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Remember, Wicca is a restoration of true worship (hehe, had to throw that in!) of pre-Christian paleothic goddess worship (Google Venus of Willendorf) that was de rigeur in the British Isles and Northern Europe before the Romans started spreading the new Jewish sect.

Wicca means different things to americans and britons...... What you described would be traditional craft in the UK, and most of the ones I know would be highly offended if you classed them as wiccan which they see as an entirely new belief system started by Gerald Gardner in the 1950s.

Convert me! I'm Pagan!

As a pagan, I find christian atheism a fascinating, and I can resonate with a lot of its beliefs.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/atheism/types/christianatheism.shtml

BB

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Long time no speak fella!

Hows you and the better half?

Gary

• Sirona
    Sirona
    If you boil Christianity down to the two commandments, "Love God, and love your neighbour as you do yourself", we are pretty much in the same place I guess.

AlphaOmega,

Yes, Christianity has the "golden rule" just the same.

I was hoping for Christians, who were "into" preaching the message, to tell me why it would be a good idea to convert to Christianity from Paganism.

I guess there are no such Christians on this board. Maybe they don't want to answer the questions I raised at the start of this thread?

Sirona

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit