Christians - Convert me! I'm Pagan!

by Sirona 90 Replies latest jw friends

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Sirona

Conversion is a work of God, not of man. It's not up to me to convert you or anyone else. To be a Christian you need to be chosen by God.
    I have a question. Do you believe that to be Christian I need to be chosen by Yahweh, or Jesus?

Specifically, by the Father. I was chosen in Christ before the foundation of the world.

Eph 1:4

just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we would be holy and blameless before Him. In love

It is really annoying how some Christians seem to think that their way is the only way, and that God only chooses certain ones to be Christian.

Sorry to hear the bible annoys you. Thats why I responded to your question the way I did.

So if you are Christian.....what things do you think I need to consider?

Does God's word speak to you?

You see, being Pagan, some would say I was chosen by the other gods.

Do you believe God's (or your "other gods") love can be demanded? If so what would that say about God? Seems to me, He would be rather limited.

• John Doe
    John Doe

If I were to say that Jesus, or God, whatever you want to call it, is an impotent, jealous, dyslexic prick who would better serve as flower fertilizer, you think this dead "god" would strike me down? ;-)

• snowbird
    snowbird
    you think this dead "god" would strike me down? ;-)

No, I think He would smile benignly, ruffle your hair, and tell you to put on your shirt.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    Sirona... have you read "The Jesus Mysteries"... very interesting book.

We do have a copy of this book and I read it some months back. It has some really interesting arguments within it but the author does tend to go on about his own ideas a little rather than strictly relying upon the references contained.

Wasnt a particularly bad book though.

Gary /|\

• mouthy
    mouthy

I was in a bad place - emotionally and spiritually. I cried out to Jesus for help and comfort because I knew He could understand what it was like to be at the end of your rope. I was ready to throw in the towel so to speak.

I believe no one can make you a Christian.... As was stated above that is the thing that happened to me. After being kicked out of the Borg. I was destitute,,,,Emotionally & spiritually.... I heard Alton Pitts(EXJW) talking of his experience in finding Jesus , as a last resort I said the prayer , "GOD if your there help me understand --- This man is talking about the HOLY SPIRIT doing the teaching--- I always thought this was like electricity....but if it is a force that can help me exsist COME into my heart, teach me what I need to know, I know I dont deserve anything with all my sins but I am at my wits end...He says Jesus is the Creator!!! I said I would never listen to man again....So Teach me HOLY SPIRIT PLEASE AMEN"
    I even felt a bit stupid doing that. THEN Alton suggested any come forth for prayer. I was the ONLY one that went forward. Because I really WAS at my wits end.....I too felt a warm feeling come over me, I then started reading the Bible with differant eyes NOT the WT teachings I AM a Christian, ( I know I fail if you want to see Jesus in me but I do know he forgives me my OOPS just as I do my kids)Wish I could "give" you that warm feeling I felt ( I believe it was a hug from the LORD)
    O.K. so laugh I used to when I heard stories like this .

• snowbird
    snowbird
    Wish I could "give" you that warm feeling I felt ( I believe it was a hug from the LORD)
    O.K. so laugh I used to when I heard stories like this .

Grace, there you go again. You always make me tear up when I read your testimony.

You're right. It is a warm feeling unlike any other. I suppose it's kind of like being in your mother's womb - safe and secure.

It's being surrounded by LOVE.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Sylvia

• mouthy
    mouthy

I suppose it's kind of like being in your mother's womb - safe and secure.

Sylvia thats why they call it being born again

• snowbird
    snowbird

I never thought of it that way. Honestly, I never did.

Sirona, are you reading, girl?

Thanks, Grace. You don't learn things like this at the KH.

Sylvia

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Firstly, I dont wish to discount your experience but its not only Christians that have the exclusive franchise on being born again or rebirth.

Throughout pagan philosophies there is always the concept of rebirth in initiation - Christians call it being born again, Pagan's call it rebirth, although in paganism this usually is the result of a great deal of spiritual development rather than just accepting a savior. Also too there is the school of thought that would suggest that each year pagans are reborn figuratively at the Winter Solstice alongside the God. The same feelings you describe are often expressed in the initiate at the point of rebirth so I struggle to see the difference.

Mythology documented from pre christian era's also indicate that initiates were reborn after a period of figurative or spiritual death where they spend time in the womb of the earth and then arise at the dawn of the Winter Solstice. Being born again in my view isnt just a Christian teaching but a pagan one which pre dates Christ.

G

• mouthy
    mouthy

Being born again in my view isnt just a Christian teaching but a pagan one which pre dates Christ.

Well Diamond None of us will know until we get to the end of the road...So I wont argue with you What is the saying" you go your way I'll go my way..." But the one thing that is a "marker ". LOVE!!! if we are doing that you have the ingredient that JESUS left us

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit