Christians - Convert me! I'm Pagan!

by Sirona 90 Replies latest jw friends

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

An old friend who was a Pagan told me that he has no respect for Christians... but he has plenty of respect for Christ-ians...

That always stuck with me...

Christian = "corporate religion"

Christ-ian = "follow of Christ"

Subtle but as I said, it always stuck with me. He was a wise chap.

• Sirona
    Sirona
    When Christ finally came, it was as though the myths of paganism suddenly became reality. The long-awaited Event at the core of these myths finally occurred; God became Man to redeem us, fulfilling both the Messianic prophecies of Scripture and the "good dreams" of rightous Gentiles.

Interesting idea, but totally false, IMHO.

The themes within mythology are so widespread, not restricted to "righteous Gentiles". The Jesus story is another myth, whether Jesus existed or not.

I think myths are extremely valueable. So to be honest viewing the Jesus story as a myth would not necessarily stop me converting to Christianity, if there were enough other reasons to do so.

It is revealing that out of all the Christians on this board, only a few are answering this thread. I am pagan, it is true, but I was also willing to read what is said with an open mind.

Sirona

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Sirona... have you read "The Jesus Mysteries"... very interesting book.

alt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Mysteries

• Sirona
    Sirona
    There is an amazing power in Christianity. Since I became a Christian there has been an incredible change that has occurred in my life. God has made me into a better person. I am filled with love, peace and contentment. He has blessed me, healed me and answered my prayers. I spent years in therapy because of being a child abuse victim and that didn’t heal me the way God has. Therapy is good, I don’t want to knock it, but it’s no substitute for Jesus. My husband noticed the change in me and became a Christian a few months later.

Saoirse,

I enjoyed reading your story. Thanks. I think this is great - it sounds like you've really found something there. Did you have a "moment" when you knew you were born again?

I have found that Jesus is far more powerful than any spell and is more loving than you could ever imagine. It can't be proven or disproven. It’s really hard to explain in a way that a non-Christian can understand, you almost have to experience it for yourself.

I don't really do spells, not anymore. I have interacted with the gods on occasion and yes, "powerful" is the word. To be honest, the idea that we are sinful and need to ask God to change us just doesn't make sense to me. You see, I believe that the material world is holy and we are not "sinful".

Sirona

• Sirona
    Sirona

Magick

if you convert to paganism because you were disolusioned with the witnesses or were "stumbled by a brother or sister" in the congregation...be cautious. there must be a "spiritual experience" or a conscious decision based on research. just because you are "curious" or it looks good on your myspace page isn't enough.

I see what you mean.

I converted to Paganism after lots of research. I've had lots of spiritual experiences as a pagan too, things which didn't happen when I was Christian.

I was asking the question because I felt like being challenged. I felt like thinking outside of my Pagan box for a bit.

I think its highly unlikely I'd convert, but I'd like to hear the cases for conversion, since Christians are always saying how we "should" be Christian.

SIrona

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sirona,

I'm a Christian. I'm a slave of Jesus Of Nazareth, the Christ.

I say this with an open mind and heart. I grew up in a Baptist church, but found the hellfire and damnation teaching incompatible with the Bible.

I converted to the JW's because at the time I found their brand of theology appealing. Later, I came to the conclusion that their teachings were full of holes.

I went back to the Bible, rediscovered Jesus again for the first time, and have been on the road to healing ever since.

I've never mentioned this on the board; in early 2005, I was in a bad place - emotionally and spiritually. I cried out to Jesus for help and comfort because I knew He could understand what it was like to be at the end of your rope. I was ready to throw in the towel so to speak.

It was in the wee hours of the morning. I'd been discharged from the ER after presenting with a bp reading that was off the charts. I sat in my dining room and prayed like I'd never prayed before because I honestly felt like I was losing my mind.

As I was praying, I felt a warm and comforting Presence behind me. I didn't need to turn around to see or even ask Who it was. I knew! I felt a gentle, reassuring squeeze of my shoulders that let me know everything is going to be alright. I simply said, "Thank you."

That experience taught me two things: Organized religions are not the way to God, and the process of conversions starts with us.

We have to recognize our need for God; call out to Him for direction; then follow His leading. It is a personal, not organizational, thing. I also found out that reading the Gospel of John is the best way to find the real Jesus.

I hope this isn't too jumbled. I always get emotional when I relate my experience, but believe me when I say that I'm not delusional. My hope is for your journey to be filled with peace.

Sylvia

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    That experience taught me two things: Organized religions are not the way to God, and the process of conversions starts with us.

We have to recognize our need for God; call out to Him for direction; then follow His leading. It is a personal, not organizational, thing. I also found out that reading the Gospel of John is the best way to find the real Jesus.

I'll echo that.

It stands out for so many reasons, and is by far the most spiritual.

Sylvia, thanks for sharing that. I am not able to share my experiences, I'm afraid - as they will identify me too easily for any lurkers that I know..

• snowbird
    snowbird

Sylvia, thanks for sharing that. I am not able to share my experiences, I'm afraid - as they will identify me too easily for any lurkers that I know..

You're welcome. I've wanted to share that for some time and today seemed to be THE time. And thank you for being on the board. Your Christ-ian light shines all the way across the Big Water!

Sylvia

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Hey AO and snowbird - us Christ-ians are gonna get told off for being too nice again lol!!

snowbird - your experience is similar to my own, except I didn't pray when I reached the bottom - I was way beyond that - but yes I experienced that real presence too.

Psalm 40:2

He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
    out of the mud and mire;
    he set my feet on a rock
    and gave me a firm place to stand.

Quite literally....

But I don't believe you have to be a Christian to experience that - we're all on a journey, some of us can live our lives dedicated 'to the unknown god' as the Greeks whom Paul encountered in Acts. He's looking at our hearts, not so much at what we do.

Sorry sirona! I guess whats needed in this thread is a good ole 5 point Calvinist!!!

• snowbird
    snowbird

But I don't believe you have to be a Christian to experience that - we're all on a journey, some of us can live our lives dedicated 'to the unknown god' as the Greeks whom Paul encountered in Acts. He's looking at our hearts, not so much at what we do.

Agreed, Sad Emo. John 6:37 and 12:47 did it for me. He said, "If anyone comes to Me, I'll not reject him." - "I came to save, not to judge."

The WTS has no need of those verses because they deny their members access to Jesus.

Sylvia

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit