What smells bring back old memories?

by John Doe 51 Replies latest jw friends

• bluesbreaker59
    bluesbreaker59

Fresh cut hay - brings me back to the farm, and working with dad and grandpa

Hog shit (hey I live in Iowa, remember) - the family farm

Ruffles perfume - reminds me of mom

Tommy girl - brings back way too many memories of my ex

Fried Chicken and Gravy - the little cafe down home, I went to since I was 6 months old

So yeah, I'm a country boy, that's alright, I like it that way.

• snowbird
    snowbird

The smell of Octagon lye soap brings back memories of my childhood friend, Ralph.

The smell of bacon sizzling reminds me of living way back in the sticks.

The aroma of coffee brewing - my dad.

Cloves - a very kind teacher.

Pine straw - long, lazy, hot afternoons.

Purple hull peas/collards cooking - my dear, dear mother.

Better stop here.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Roasting chili peppers

Boiling Pinto Beans

Dill

Aqua Net (child of the 80's)

• Gregor
    Gregor

The smell of an outhouse. A real outhouse, not one of those plastic port-a-potties.

I was 6 yrs old when my family attended the International convention in NYC. Being poor, we stayed in a huge tent city in New Jersey. They built big group outhouses over trenches. Long plank seats with holes in them, no partitions. It has been years since I had to use one of these but when I do it takes me right back to that experience.

There is a certain smell of old grammer school hallways that brings back the nervous gut I got every morning knowing I would be stared at for not saluting the flag.

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

blueberry muffins baking -- my childhood home

wild musk cologne -- high school (still wear it sometimes)

wind song perfume -- my grandmother, who'd be a VIP in heaven too

Somewhere I remember hearing that off all types of hallucinations, ole factory (smelling) hallucinations are the most common, and people have them all the time whether they register in your consciousness or not.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

Gregor,

OMG I actually posted about those home-made latrines and thought I was the only one who remembered them:

LOL

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/105194/1822531/post.ashx#1822531

Jeannie

• BrentR
    BrentR

My first intimate encounter involved baby oil so that smell triggers some interesting memories.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

HAY!!!!!!!

AUTUMN LEAVES

DOVE SOAP........my grandmother always had it at her house and we used it when we stayed with her...............

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    A bit in reverse here, but tasting "Sugar in the Raw" reminds me of how a sugar mill town smelled like when I stayed there for several weeks. Ah, the stench of molasses.

lol.........I was going to say the smell of Paper Mill pollution...........smells like the whole town got inundated with rotten eggs or everyone's catalytic converter on their car was acting up..............my mom was born and raised in a paper mill town in upstate NY and we always went there to visit family and my sister and i would smell that smell and know we were getting close to gramma and grampa's after almost five hours of riding in a car to get there............we could smell that smell from an HOUR away, lol!

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    Hog shit (hey I live in Iowa, remember) - the family farm

for me, it's cow and horse shit!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit