What smells bring back old memories?

by John Doe 51 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

Formaldehyde and frogs--makes me think of the damp basement classroom and those weird water faucets on all the tables.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Smelling napalm in the morning makes me think of the movie "Apocalypse now".

• BrentR
    BrentR
    Have you ever wondered why memories are so powerfully linked to smells?

Of our five senses smell is the only one that goes directly to our limbic brain and not through our higher brain first.

My grandparents on my dad's side were not JW's and smoked heavily. I always loved going over to eastern WA to visit them as a kid but because they were "worldly" is was not very often. Once a year I would spend a week or two there and got a brief chance to experience normalcy away from the JW's. I have many warm memories going over in the fall and helping gramps harvest the 160 acres of apple orchard and spending entire days on the boat fishing Lake Chelan.

So as un-healthy as cigarette smoke is it triggers some wonderful memories for me. My grandparents were an island of sanity for me as a kid and they went out of thier way to spoil me in an attempt to make up for me never having birthdays or Christmas. If heaven has a VIP suite my grandparents are living in it becuase they deserve it.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Cigarettes

Whiskey with gingerale

White Shoulders perfume on my grandmother

Jean Nate' on my mom

Gunpowder

Clam flats

Salt pork with potatoes

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

salt marsh

the ocean

sweetbush

roses

crabs cooking

coconut cookies

collard greens cooking

the mountains after a rain

fresh cut grass

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

My grandma's shawl-it still smells like her. She died this summer. She was my best friend. I miss her.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

A bit in reverse here, but tasting "Sugar in the Raw" reminds me of how a sugar mill town smelled like when I stayed there for several weeks. Ah, the stench of molasses.

• jeanniebeanz
    jeanniebeanz

In Mid-summer, the scent of the Russian River mingled with the Redwood trees in the Ukiah Valley would peak in the early morning air. It brings back memories of my childhood and happy times playing on the banks of the Russian River.

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

davidoff cool water for women

• FreeGirl2006
    FreeGirl2006

Opium makes me think of my mother

Honeysuckle reminds me of carefree days

Joop--being wrapped in a man's arms

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit