Just a little Update...(with pictures)

by RichieRich 151 Replies latest jw friends

• PEC
    PEC

Hi, Richie, welcome back, thanks for the update.

Philip

• delilah
    delilah

At risk of having my head chewed off, I'm going to say something here.

My husband has a lot of tattoos. Some he wished he did not have, as they represent a certain time in his life, when he belonged to a certain "group". He is slowly having them reworked, as it is quite expensive.( He also has many awesome tattoos that I love, and that he is proud of.)

Therefore, when our daughter, now 23, and our 15 year old son, wanted tattoo's, we told them both, they must not get just any old tattoo. They must mean something, be tasteful, and be something they could live with, for the rest of their lives.

Our daughter has designed all 4 of her tattoo's, they are beautiful, meaningful, and in areas where they can be covered, if necessary. They do not interfere with her work.

Our son got his tattoo 2 months ago, it is a tribute to Dimebag Darryl, and it is done very nicely. He's not getting another one, now until he is 18, and he can pay for it.

I look at it this way....when my son decides to cut his hair into a Mohawk, or get a tastefully done tattoo, he's experimenting with expression.

He's NOT experimenting with drugs.

He is a happy, well adjusted young man, plays football, and guitar, and does well in school. He is not screaming out for attention. He likes the tattoo. He wanted it, he got it.

Now, I may not want him to go to the degree that others here have gone to, but when he is of age, and he decides that he MAY want to, that is his choice. His body. It is something that he will have to live with, for the rest of his life.

I'll not love him any less.

• aquagirl
    aquagirl

pmouse,you are totaly right!!!it should be AN accident,not a accident..good eye!!!!

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Gender confused Hillary_step:

My, my you are a sensitive Willy

Yes I am. Its of my greatest qualities. Girls don't like it to be too insensitive or they spend far too much time on their knees. To the subject at hand.

No, I am afraid that the passage above can also be relagated to the ranks of a diatribe that has little to do with the issues that I raised in the post.

What does an alchoholic cutter have to do with a tattooed, pierced and mutilated body? One is as a result of an illness, the other the result of unencumbered choice, a point that you then latterly seem to recognize. They have nothing in common, especially as you seem to indicate that the "cutters" scars are part of her unfortunate history.

Everyone's scars whether they wear them in or out or with color or fleshed holes are a part of their history. The connection between the two is that there is something on the inside that has to get out, that has to be expressed. That is the human connection between the two. As far as illness goes, what isn't an illness viewed through another person's eyes? You paint with such a specific, threatened and elitist brush that everyone is missing the point of your painting. Or perhaps we are getting it loud and clear.

1) Tattoos, piercings, bodily mutliations have become the fashion the past fifteen years or so. Those who have taken on this decoration are fashion victims. The difference between clothing, household and other fashions is that bodily decorations are generally irreversible. You have your fashion fad stamped on you for the rest of your life, with all that this entails.

Not your choice. Not your judgement to make. A victim is an unfortunate person who suffers from some adverse circumstance. If that is how you are coloring Richie then damn color yourself with that as well. The choice to confront the after effects of our circumstances in a manner that is personal is what defines us not the manner in which we do it. The manner is subject to debate but really the only opinion that matters in the debate is our own. What is your aim here? To protect Richie or to condemn him? To argue because its fun? I don't know Richie as well as I want to but what I do know is that while modes of expression can be fads their permenance or lack there of takes nothing away from the needs that spawned them. It is down to the individual.

2) The claims that tatoos, piercings and bodily mutliations are an appeal to individuality flies in the face of fact. Previous to the past decade or so, a minority of people were tattooed. Then when the fashion fad hit, millions of people followed like sheep. How can one defend this as an appeal to individuality?

Because choice is individual. Each piece of art displayed is individual whether that piece is on a wall or on skin.

Letting "Barney" loose on a thread without teaching his the basics of debate is a dangerous exercise

Wow. You got me. Point taken. Perhaps though before you correct my skills at debate you may perhaps correct your own rafter of grammar.

I can't make it any simpler for you. I'd offer to draw you a picture but I'd be wasting my time. Clearly you just want to argue over semantics and that is not worth my effort.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Cool,

1) Tattoos, piercings, bodily mutliations have become the fashion the past fifteen years or so. Those who have taken on this decoration are fashion victims. The difference between clothing, household and other fashions is that bodily decorations are generally irreversible. You have your fashion fad stamped on you for the rest of your life, with all that this entails.

Not your choice. Not your judgement to make.

I am making no judgements. I merely stated that tattoos the past fifteen years or so have come into fashion and are now common fare! Are you denying this?

Therefore is this "fashion" did not exist as a common adornment in the West until relatively recently, millions of people who now have tattoos would not have them. Are you denying this?

Therefore these persons are followers and victims of fashion. Are you denying this?

There is nothing untoward being a fashion victim, we have all succumbed at one time or the other. This fashion however is generally irreversible.

Best regards - HS

• Gregor
    Gregor

As usual, I am in lock step with Hillary Step. It is essentially an irreversable impulse decision made when most people are in their youth. How will Richie Rich look and feel when he is in his 50's and beyond? My guess is he will accept reality and just deal with it, like an amputee has to.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

Right now, one of the fastest growing fields of cosmetic surgery

covering tattoos

• White Dove
    White Dove

Rosalee,

You believe that getting body modification causes/leads to "an accident waiting to happen." There is a weakness in your theory: It doesn't explain those who get body modification that DON'T become tragedies/accidents. You theory is weak. There are many more reasons for the decision to modify one's body: Art being the biggest one for those of age and past the rebelious to parents stage in life. I have piercings and tattoes for outward expression of ART. I am 39 and had my first body piercings and tattoo when I was 38. Not all are headed for doom. Oh yeah, and I am a senior in college with a 3.6 GPA. All of my body art can be concealed for professionalism. Body art for me is a communication with society. It says that I am fun, liberal, I like myself, no fear of commitment, open minded and accepting of all kinds of people without judging them. Yes, body art says that. Everyone uses clothing, hairstyle, jewelry, and make-up for that, too. Why not body modification if one is mature enough to make a life lasting decision? If a tattoo is a real problem use stage make-up. Easy solution. No big deal.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Purplesofa,

I would assume that the kind of tatttoos being removed most is drunken tattoos, gang affiliation, and prison ones. It's really easy to cover over them with a really cool non-gang tattoo. This isn't Japan where anyone with a tat is assumed to be affiliated with the Yakuza. But I do see your point about permanence. I just don't think it's that big of a deal, that's all. I have had no regrets on anything I have ever done except for not doing college before starting a family. See, there are so much more important issues out there in life than worrying about a pesky old tattoo.

• White Dove
    White Dove

Hillary step,

It became fashionable to outwardly demonstrate our individuality by getting tattoos, not identical tattoos and not in the same places on our bodies. You know, when people stop getting them, we will still be in good company as sooooooo many are presently getting them! We won't be looked at as odd because tattooing is hundreds if not thousands of years old, anyway. Funny thing about tattoos is that they are NOT permanent as they can be modified, covered over at anytime with any design imaginable. After 38 years of having an empty "canvas," I finally added some color to it. I'm so happy with it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit