Nethanyahu speach to US Congress - not in sync with NRA position on weapons

by RubaDub 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

All places I don't live - phew!!! Lucky you. So you're safe, wherever you are, and jihadis can blow up a tube train in Victoria underground or shoot someone in Oxford Street and everybody's happy

• Viviane
    Viviane
    All places I don't live - phew!!! Lucky you. So you're safe, wherever you are, and jihadis can blow up a tube train in Victoria underground or shoot someone in Oxford Street and everybody's happy

Wow, crikey, who the hell said any of that? I mean, what moron, total idiot would say such a despicable ridiculous thing?

I am assuming you are implying that someone else said that and no you. If so, please quote who said it with a reference. Otherwise, not sure what your point is.

• abiather
    abiather

You made a good point that possession of weapon may seem to bring a balance of terror.

However, history teaches otherwise. A war may be triggered for no reason at all. US was attacked by Japan when it was not involved in World War II which resulted in US bombing of Hiroshima and Nagazaki. US presented fake proof of Iraque's WMD in the UN and went to attack Iraque which ultimately brought the present volatile situation. It's all cyclic! Weapons are produced only to be used--whether there is a reason or not.

• Viviane
    Viviane
    Again, you've no idea what you are talking about. The U.S. was absolutely involved WWII prior to Japan attacking.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

You made a good point that possession of weapon may seem to bring a balance of terror.

abiather ...

That was not really the point I personally was presenting but in general a satirical look at how conservatives (including Mr. Netanyahoo from Israel) in general feel it is necessary to be armed to be safe. The "if everyone has a gun we will be balanced" is IMO rubbish.

I turn on my morning news here in South Florida and leading stories are typically who held up a gas station, convenience store or other business at gunpoint and how many got killed.

I just don't see that on the news when I am in Toronto, Montreal, London, Paris or other cities.

Unfortunately, with the easy access to guns, we put our US cities on the same level as Mexico City, Baghdad, Caracas and other dangerous areas in the world where we do a body count every morning.

Rub a Dub

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster

RubaDub - Hahahah, I love your comment. Very funny!

littleSocrates - That actually seems like a very good explanation. Thanks for the insight!

TD - Unfortunately I did not get to read Laura Ingalls Wilder as a child. However, I do understand what you're saying. It is indeed a good reason to own guns (protecting yourself from dangerous wild beasts that is). And to answer your question, "When was the last time you worried about what the smell of your cooking might attract?"

This is a daily concern to me. You see, I live in Transylvania, deep in the Carpathian Mountains. I grew up here. Outside of Russia, we have by far the largest brown bear population in Europe. We also have the largest grey wolf population in Europe. Just last spring a bear killed my dear dog Olga, and I have had three close encounters with large adult brown bears this past summer. In two of the situations the bear ignored me and in a third it approached at about 10 meters. At that point I shouted extremely loud at it and chased it off. It ran away. My neighbor has about 250 sheep and two years ago one of his employed shepherds got drunk and forgot the sheep in the woods. About 60 were killed by a pack of 13 wolves. Even earlier today, wolves attacked our village but we managed to chase them off. Yet, none of us (about 2500 villagers) own guns. There was this old hunter guy I told you guys about, but he got his license revoked because he's too old. Anyway, we manage to defend ourselves mainly by working together as villagers (If a bear or a pack of wolves attack, everyone jumps to fight them). In general, if absolutely necessary to fight to defend ourselves, we use axes. We also own a lot of dogs, mainly large ones. On average, there are about 5 dogs for every person around these parts. Anyway, here are a few videos about our ways that you might find interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T1iiTYAaSI&feature=youtu.be
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=474bblZXZrk
    In this one the dumbass shepherds accidentally kill a dog, which those who know what they're doing don't do, but it pretty much shows how we fight wild beasts without having to own guns: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nedmYJ68vo0

• TD
    TD

Thank you for the link, cookiemaster. That was interesting. Five largish dogs with what appear to be spiked collars + three men with axes is one way to do it I guess.

• TD
    TD

RubaDub,

The NRA's vision of 'Utopia' is one where a law abiding citizen could successfully defend themselves.

There's all kinds of criticisms we could level at this vision. It's naive. It's idealistic. It's not possible to arm honest citizens without concomitantly arming criminals. It results in an escalation towards weapons with more firepower. (Which we've seen in our lifetime with the slow demise of revolvers.)

Criticizing the vision for something it's not though, would be a strawman. The NRA has never advocated arming everyone.

• abiather
    abiather
    Viviane
    I remembered what I was taught in the school.
    Although the war began with Nazi Germany's attack on Poland in September 1939, the United States did not enter the war until after the Japanese bombed the American fleet in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on December 7, 1941
    http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/teachinger/glossary/world-war-2.cfm
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Although the war began with Nazi Germany's attack on Poland in September 1939, the United States did not enter the war until after the Japanese bombed the American fleet in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, on December 7, 1941
    Yes, that is when the US formally declared war. That's not when they first got involved.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit