Nethanyahu speach to US Congress - not in sync with NRA position on weapons

by RubaDub 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TD
    TD

I don't quite understand why Mr. Nethanyahu is so fearful if Iran or other nations...

It's not that I don't appreciate satire, but it makes it hard to know if you're looking for serious replies or not..

• TD
    TD

I'm from Europe, so sorry to barge in on your discussion but I never understood why Americans love and feel that they need weapons. Is it a sociological remnant from the time of the colonies? Is it a cultural thing? I just don't get it.

A little of both. Did you ever read Laura Ingalls Wilder as a child? Much of the personal interactions in her books are scrambled a bit, but the cultural and historical details are pretty much dead on. She describes a world (Mid 19th century America) where there were plenty of legitimate uses for a firearm. This was a time when the Jaguar (Third largest big cat in the world) ranged as far north as Canada and could snatch a grown man off of a horse. She describes dangers from wolves, bears, and wolverines as well,

Even today, we have populations of indigenous people where hunting is still a way of life and huge, huge expanses of land that is sacred and can't be touched. I'm not a gun nut. I own a grand total of two modern rifles. But when one of my friends from across the pond expresses incredulity over Americans and guns, my first question is, "When was the last time you worried about what the smell of your cooking might attract?"

• Viviane
    Viviane
    This was a time when the Jaguar (Third largest big cat in the world) ranged as far north as Canada and could snatch a grown man off of a horse. She describes dangers from wolves, bears, and wolverines as well,

I was all prepared to call BS (in a friendly way, of course) on this and assume you meant a catamount, panther, mountain lion, etc., but I checked it out first. I did not know Jaguars roamed that far north. I learned something!

Thanks!

"When was the last time you worried about what the smell of your cooking might attract?"

I camp a lot, in very remote areas. I have two bear canisters, bear spray, know how to tie up food for bear, have buried my own poop plenty of times. We ALWAYS take at least a few firearms on those trips, usually a .45 and .357.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Yea lets keep comparing the two as if they are exactly the same. Who needs intellectual honesty anyways?

little_Socrates ...

Yes, not necessarily an apples to apples to comparison.

I just was trying to make the point, and yes sarcastically, that as Americans (and I am a gun owner), that if the NRA proposition that more weapons make us safer, then why not extend it to the national and international level ?

Rub a Dub

• Viviane
    Viviane
    I just was trying to make the point, and yes sarcastically, that as Americans (and I am a gun owner), that if the NRA proposition that more weapons make us safer, then why not extend it to the national and international level?

Well, first of all, the NRA are nutjobs.... unfortunately a needed set of nutjobs because the other side has an equal amount of nutjobs leaning in the other direction. It's a delicate balancing act.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Well, first of all, the NRA are nutjobs.... unfortunately a needed set of nutjobs because the other side has an equal amount of nutjobs leaning in the other direction. It's a delicate balancing act.

Viviane ...

Excellent point. We have our leftwing nuts and our rightwing nuts. Very true.

I just see people in Canada, Europe and other ("advanced") parts of the world who just don't seem they have to settle every disagreement by shooting people.

Rub a Dub

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    We have our leftwing nuts and our rightwing nuts - these are nothing compared to Iranian nuts or Arab nuts.
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    Yeah, but I don't live in any of those places.
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    There are plenty of Arab wannabe jihadis in Maida Vale and Edgeware Road ...
  • Viviane
    Viviane
    All places I don't live.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit