Nethanyahu speach to US Congress - not in sync with NRA position on weapons

by RubaDub 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I don't quite understand why Mr. Nethanyahu is so fearful if Iran or other nations have nuclear weapons.

As the NRA espouses, the more people are armed and the more weapons on the street, then the safer we should feel. We all should have the right to protect ourselves. More weapons would discourage people from using them knowing that others possess similar weapons.

Since Israel has a stockpile of nuclear weapons, Mr. Nethanyahu should take the NRA approach and welcome nuclear weapons into the middle east ... Iran, Saudi Arabia, Syria, and any other country that would want them. That would then be a deterrent for anyone to use them, just like more guns on the streets.

Mr. Nethanyahu should learn more from the NRA.

Rub a Dub

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

While i understand your being sarcastic, i would counter your point as follows:

i believe its the NRA's position that more lawabiding ethical and moral people being able to own guns is good, not criminals.

iran is far from law abiding, moral or ethical. They are an outlaw group at best. Disarming them and ensuring upstanding countries can protect themselves is exactly in like with the NRA's position.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Disarming them and ensuring upstanding countries can protect themselves is exactly in like with the NRA's position.

_Morphesus

Who determines which are the "upstanding countries" as you suggest ???

Possibly the United Nations ???

Rub a Dub

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

I'm racking my brains trying to come up with a good example of an 'outstanding/upstanding' whatever country. Just looking at the last century or so... Who could possibly qualify? Possibly one of the Scandavian countries? Any other candidates? I actually find the US to be the worst, simply because they hide behind a facade of virtue, freedom, and democracy. IMHO, they could have gone down a different road, but in the end it was just too hard to resist 'full-spectrum' dominance.

I realize this will not be a popular opinion with the Fox-News crowd, so don't tell me if I don't like it I can leave: because I already did...

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Israel has nuclear weapons but hasn't used them on Iran and isn't planning to. If Iran or an Arab country acquired nuclear weapons, would they use them on Israel?

Lunatics in Gaza regularly firing rockets over the border might provide us with a clue ...

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Israel has nuclear weapons but hasn't used them on Iran and isn't planning to. If Iran or an Arab country acquired nuclear weapons, would they use them on Israel?

Pakistan has had Nuclear weapons for quite a while now. I think it's safe to say, a lot of people in Pakistan hate Zionists. Pakistan hasn't used them.

I'm not saying Iran wouldn't use them either, but I'm just giving an example of a predominantly Arab country that has nuclear weapons but hasn't used them.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

I let the track record speak for itself when it comes to determining "upstanding" or not. Nobody outside the fundamentalist islamic religion would call iran upstanding or responsible or moral, even many iranians themselves as is evidanced by their attempts overthrow the current 'government'.

Im not appoligizing for the USA or any other country or justifying any wars recently fought in that region, im simply commenting on your original post regarding the concept of arming oneself for self defense vis a v the NRA et all.

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

@cappytan

Pakistan is not an Arab country, although it is predominately Sunni Muslim and does have nuclear weapons. I'm not sure why it hasn't used them on Israel - maybe they focus on competition with India, or maybe because the Pak government is supposedly allied to the West.

Iran is predominately Shia Muslim and has nothing to do with Pakistan.

Hamas rules Gaza and is a Sunni militia/extremist group made up of Arabs.

• FadeToBlack
    FadeToBlack

good point cappytan: also, Pakistan and India both have nuke's and are not on the best of terms but somehow limit their responses to each other's 'hostile' acts. Not sure how much use of nuclear for power either of them are using. Need to check.

I know Iran has argued that they need nuclear power for electricity in the past. The real test would be, are they peparing for it or something else. I takes 10-20 years get nuke plants up from conception to producing.. I also know that Russia has offered to help them with nuclear power plants, but not sure what the current status is.

• DJS
    DJS

Much of Netanyahu's speech was simply rhetoric, such as his comments regarding Iran 'gobbling' up other nations. As if many other nations aren't trying to spread their own zone of influence.

However, Iranian leaders have made several statements about destroying the Zionist regime. If someone wanted to purchase a weapon for the sole or primary purpose of killing your family, which they had made public, RubaDub, you would probably be trying to get someone's attention who could thwart the attempt.

Iranian leaders have made several statements about wiping the Israelis off the map. If you were the leader of Israel you would be doing the same thing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit