Nethanyahu speach to US Congress - not in sync with NRA position on weapons

by RubaDub 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Pakistan is not an Arab country,

My bad. I was doing the typical Texan thing and conflating Arab and Muslim.

If we want to get technical about it, Iran is not an Arab country either. It's Persian. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    I'm from Europe, so sorry to barge in on your discussion but I never understood why Americans love and feel that they need weapons. Is it a sociological remnant from the time of the colonies? Is it a cultural thing? I just don't get it. Here in Europe, I've only met one person that owned a gun in my entire life, and he was a professional hunter. No regular person I have ever met owned a gun. It's also weird to see all the police shootings and chases that take place in America. Again, I'm not trying to make any claim or anything, but I've lived in Europe all my life and never, ever heard of a police chase. I did hear of a shooting a few years ago on the news. But that was the only one and only two bullets were fired in the air as a warning. You guys also have much harsher prison sentences. What gets you 25 years in the US, gets you 5 in Europe. I'm fascinated by these differences. Why do they exist?
  • DJS
    DJS

Cappytan,

I worked in the UAE a few years back for about a month. In our briefing we were told to not refer to the Gulf as the Persian Gulf while we were there because the Emirates hate the Persians. It is the Arabian Gulf on the E side of the Gulf for most of those countries.

• cappytan
    cappytan
    No regular person I have ever met owned a gun.

Where I'm from, most regular persons own guns. I own 2 rifles, and 2 shotguns. One rifle for varmints, one for hunting. One shotgun for hunting, one for fun. (It's a home defense shotgun, but I only use it for having fun. Hopefully I never have to defend my home.)

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams
    Iran is not an Arab country either. It's Persian - this is correct. Off the top of my head, the ethnic majority is Persian, there are also Kurd, Azerbaijani (Turkic) and other minorities (there might still be a few thousand Jews - in Iran, poor b******s). There is an Arab minority in the west of the country.
  • RubaDub
    RubaDub

I'm from Europe, so sorry to barge in on your discussion but I never understood why Americans love and feel that they need weapons. Is it a sociological remnant from the time of the colonies? Is it a cultural thing?

cookiemaster ...

You don't understand the facts here in North America. Guns make us safer. With so many guns on the streets, it helps to keep down crime.

That's why when we go north of the border to Canada, we generally only walk outside our hotels during the day since otherwise, without a gun, we feel unsafe. The Canadians being so restrictive on gun ownership, especially handguns, scares the be-Jesus out of us. And you can look up the facts and see how Canada has such a high murder rate. If they just allowed more guns, it would be much safer.

There is no way I would walk at night on the streets of Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver or any other big city in Canada at night and feel safe. Without myself and others having guns, it just is not safe.

It is so much better when we cross the border and come south to our safe cities near the border like Detroit, Cleveland and others that border Canada. When we get back, we can breathe a sign of relief, get our guns and feel safe in the cities and suburbs.

Long live the NRA. They help keep us safe.

Rub a Dub

• little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

RubaDub.... the sarcasm is deep with that one!

I think it is simple. In America the sovereign indivual is supposed to be the highest authority in the land.

Other places but a much bigger emphasis on the "collective" good. Those places don't like to see individuals be armed.

Guns takes the authority of the masses and gives it to the individual... wither or not you think that is a god thing depends on your view of the world.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

In America the sovereign indivual is supposed to be the highest authority in the land.

little_Socrates ...

Yes, and fortunately here in America, unlike many other countries, if someone tries to challenge our personal authority, we can just shoot them.

Rub a Dub

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    Rub, if you would like to discuss gun laws in america you wont be the first start a thread addressing it. That would be a more intelictually honest approach than setting up a false equivalenancy argument with iran V isreal and nuclear arms. Im interested in hearing other views on both topics but this seems like it was a cheap attempt at trading trite campian slogans instead of a real exchange of ideas on either topic.
  • little_Socrates
    little_Socrates

Yep Nukes and Handguns are exactly the same!

Handguns can be printed at home on your 3d printer. With hundreds of millions in existence how will you get rid of them? Worst case scenario? Someone goes apeshit and kills a few people.

Nukes require the resources of an entire nation to build. There are only a handful of countries that have them. Efforts of international community can slow the proliferation of them. Worst case scenario? WWIII with hundreds of millions or billions dead.

Yea lets keep comparing the two as if they are exactly the same. Who needs intellectual honesty anyways?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit