Wow! Nobel Winner Says Blacks Less Intelligent

by Justitia Themis 60 Replies latest jw friends

• Kudra
    Kudra

Mrs J,

What is it that Bill Cosby says that is offensive?

I had not hear this controversy!

• greendawn
    greendawn

It's not a case of the Africans being less intelligent, it is rather their culture with its extensive corruption that keeps them backwards. Otherwise they are just as intelligent as any other race, at the university I studied I recall there were many outstanding African students.

• watson
    watson
    people presenting their pseudo-scientific pre-conceived prejudicial notions.

Isn't that what starts the ball rolling on study and research? (Spoken like a true scientist, eh?)

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    What is it that Bill Cosby says that is offensive?

He is urging the black community to stop wallowing in the mire of victimization, blaming others for the dire situation that it is in, and take responsibility for doing something about it. Some black folks don't want to hear it, they're still hoping for that 40 arces and a mule (reparations).

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

It's not a case of the Africans being less intelligent, it is rather their culture with its extensive corruption that keeps them backwards.

LOL! "Extensive corruption" as opposed to what, Greendawn? The moral superiority of the European and American cultures who have been responsible for helping to enslave, exploit and impoverish them? I don't really think we have a very high soap box to stand on in that regard!

Nice try though!

Cog

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

There's a whole freakin' book that was written about this precisely!

I highly recommend it to all...

http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/spring99/gunsgerms.htm

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize
    National Bestseller

Jared Diamond

Guns, Germs, and Steel

The Fates of Human Societies

Winner of the Pulitzer Prize and a national bestseller: the global account of the rise of civilization that is also a stunning refutation of ideas of human development based on race.

In this "artful, informative, and delightful" (William H. McNeill, New York Review of Books) book, Jared Diamond convincingly argues that geographical and environmental factors shaped the modern world. Societies that had a head start in food production advanced beyond the hunter-gatherer stage, and then developed writing, technology, government, and organized religion—as well as nasty germs and potent weapons of war—and adventured on sea and land to conquer and decimate preliterate cultures. A major advance in our understanding of human societies, Guns, Germs, and Steel chronicles the way that the modern world came to be and stunningly dismantles racially based theories of human history.
    "Diamond has written a book of remarkable scope . . . one of the most important and readable works on the human past published in recent years."— Colin Renfrew, Nature

"The scope and explanatory power of this book are astounding."— The New Yorker

"An ambitious, highly important book."— James Shreeve, New York Times Book Review

"Serious, groundbreaking biological studies of human history only seem to come along once every generation or so. . . . Now [Guns, Germs, and Steel] must be added to their select number. . . . Diamond meshes technological mastery with historical sweep, anecdotal delight with broad conceptual vision, and command of sources with creative leaps. No finer work of its kind has been published this year, or for many past."— Martin Sieff, Washington Times

"[Diamond] is broadly erudite, writes in a style that pleasantly expresses scientific concepts in vernacular American English, and deals almost exclusively in questions that should interest everyone concerned about how humanity has developed. . . . [He] has done us all a great favor by supplying a rock-solid alternative to the racist answer. . . . A wonderfully interesting book."— Alfred W. Crosby, Los Angeles Times

"An epochal work. Diamond has written a summary of human history that can be accounted, for the time being, as Darwinian in its authority."— Thomas M. Disch, The New Leader

"Guns, Germs and Steel lays a foundation for understanding human history, which makes it fascinating in its own right. Because it brilliantly describes how chance advantages can lead to early success in a highly competitive environment, it also offers useful lessons for the business world and for people interested in why technologies succeed."—Bill Gates

"No scientist brings more experience from the laboratory and field, none thinks more deeply about social issues or addresses them with greater clarity, than Jared Diamond as illustrated by Guns, Germs, and Steel. In this remarkably readable book he shows how history and biology can enrich one another to produce a deeper understanding of the human condition."— Edward O. Wilson, Pellegrino University Professor, Harvard University

"A fascinating and extremely important book. That its insights seem so fresh, its facts so novel and arresting, is evidence of how little Americans—and, I suspect, most well-educated citizens of the Western world—know of the most important forces of human history."—David Brown, Washington Post Book World

• Winner of the Pulitzer Prize, the Phi Beta Kappa Award in Science, the Rhone-Poulenc Prize, and the Commonwealth Club of California's Gold Medal
    • A selection of the Book-of-the-Month Club, Quality Paperback Book Club, and History Book Club

Jared Diamond, professor of physiology at the UCLA School of Medicine, is the author of the best-selling and award-winning The Third Chimpanzee. He has published over 200 articles in Discover, Natural History, Nature, and Geo magazines.

• Happy Harvester
    Happy Harvester

Did I see someone allude to an online book discussion?

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

What I like about this thread is that unlike not many years ago, the mass of those commenting are not siding and piling on support for what this Nobel winner said.

Just this week in my guitar lesson an older man made a 'joke' using a racial slur. The whole class was stunned, just shocked.

Seems like progress to me.

• watson
    watson

As time goes by, ignorance becomes obvious.

• emy the infidel
    emy the infidel

The Nobel Prize is much overrated, Jimmy Carter won it (!?!) and so did this guy... (and oh yeah, don't forget that Prince of Peace Arafat)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit