pets are so much better than people....I am not well..so sorry

by oompa 66 Replies latest jw friends

• ringo5
    ringo5

OOmpa, you owe to your kids to get yourself to a hospital now, let alone all the ones here that are concerned for you. Quit indulging your self-pity and get help NOW!

• rebel8
    rebel8

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depression/MH00016

“DON'T TELL SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION TO SNAP OUT OF IT

“If you've never experienced depression yourself, then it's impossible to know how helpless and hopeless a person can feel in the midst of it.

“Understand that depression is a serious illness that requires medical attention. It isn't the result of a character flaw or moral weakness. It may result from a chemical imbalance in the brain. When someone with depression can't get out of bed, go to work or play with their children, it's not laziness. Rather, it may be a debilitating sense of fatigue, overwhelming feelings of worthlessness or the inability to make even simple decisions.

“People with depression can no more snap out of it than can people with diabetes or arthritis. If a loved one has depression, don't tell them to smile more or just get over it. People don't enjoy having depression, but they can't simply will themselves into wellness.

“Try reading more about the condition and treatment to better understand what it's like to have depression.”

http://www.findingoptimism.com/healthy-mind/depression-what-to-say/

"WAYS TO INSULT SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION

"There are many ways to insult someone with depression, without even trying very hard. The best way is to give them some unsolicited advice. Something that you think is simple, yet profound, and potentially life changing. But said in ignorance. Nothing cuts deeper to someone with depression, than when their illness, which is serious, is trivialized by another who doesn’t understand it.

"Here are the some of the terrible things that people say:
    “This is what life is like. Get used to it.”
    “Life isn’t meant to be easy.”
    “Just snap out of it!”
    “Pull yourself together.”
    “Who said that life is fair?”
    “You just have to get on with things.”
    “At least it’s not that bad.”
    “Stop feeling sorry for yourself.”
    “You have so many things. What do you have to feel down about?”
    “You just need to cheer up.”
    “Quit trying to be a martyr.”
    “Stop taking all those medicines.”
    “I know how you feel. I’ve been depressed for whole days at a time.”
    “You don’t like feeling that way? So change it!”

These are my favorites:
    “What you need is a good kick up the backside.”
    “Go out and buy yourself some clothes. That will pick you up.”
    “Are you sure you don’t have a mental problem?”
    “How about I cook you a good meal. That will make things better.”
    “Have you tried acupuncture?”
    “Get a job!”

And the all time best:
    “Why don’t you try not being depressed.”

• ringo5
    ringo5
    “DON'T TELL SOMEONE WITH DEPRESSION TO SNAP OUT OF IT

I agree with this statement. I don't recall anyone here offering up this kind of advice. Offering up cute pictures of cats will at best be a temporary relief....

However, not only laying off the booze but getting professional help is needed and OOmpa is the one that has to take that step, if not for himself then for his kids.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

rebel8 - ouch! I've been insensitive - didn't mean to be.</p>

<p>here's a photo of the best cat that ever lived. His name was Shrimp, but he turned out to be a 20 pound Maine Coon cat. I hope he can cheer you up</p>

• Batty
    Batty

Wille zum Leben

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

I remember once when I was severly depressed and someone told me...

"It's all in your head"

um...yea..that helped.

Only thing that helped...was time.

lisa

• mouthy
    mouthy

I have just read this post. Sorry I missed it. But glad to hear your doing better.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit