Generation - Prep for bigger change?????

by The Scotsman 54 Replies latest jw friends

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

This apparent change to the "generation" is pretty major I think.
    When we consider all of the changes in understanding (i mean flashes of light!) in the last 15 years or so it all serves to delay.

The 1995 change extended this old system by detaching the generation from 1914.
    Then the May 2007 WT QFR detached the gathering of the anointed from 1935.
    Now the latest change detaches the generation from all mankind except the small group of anointed.
    And because of the 1935 detachment this could run for quite sometime.

Most R & F JWs will embrace this with both hands.
    For me that is my greatest concern - millions will not even stop to think that we only had a flash of light about
    the generation 12 years ago, which we now say was wrong. I remember at the time it was heralded as a modern day revelation.

I was just wondering if this is prep for a bigger change in understanding?
    It appears that 1914 is less important in recent years due to amendments to various teachings.

Could further flashes be coming? I suppose its inevitable!

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

What they are doing is postponing armageddon in their members
    minds again, Scotsman.

That was the reason for the 1995 change, and the May 1st qfr.
    That had the added bonus of giving them a ready made excuse
    for if the number of partakers at the memorial goes up again.

The trouble is, as you point out, most jws will simply accept
    this latest change and carry on regardless.

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk
    The trouble is, as you point out, most jws will simply accept
    this latest change and carry on regardless

Dear God aint that the truth!I remember very well the 1995 debacle..when it was studied in the wt all i saw round me was vaccuous,smiling nodding faces...totally absurd.

Thank God a lightbulb went on in my mind and i was never the same again.Its sad so many witnesses cant see through it all.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It has been my personal opinion now for a few months that they will find a way to alter the prophetic meaning of 1914. This would suspend into perpetuity the timing for Armageddon. They can continue to play the doomsday game with no actual date to obstruct. I believe that they are particularly concerned that 2014 will be significant in the minds of their adherants.

Could this be a 'bait and switch'? They build anticipation about the 'generation', then demolish the date that was significant to that original interpretation? The dubs are waiting with eager anticipation for mother to tell them a new version of why the 21st is here, the king is sitting on the right hand and nothing is happening 100 years later.

I believe the entire eschatological and chronological calculations are headed for the scrappile in an effort to get the jdubs' minds off of 'when' and focused on 'how'. They can always say we are in the 'end', that won't change. But the reasons will be less about dates, and more about conditions in the ever changing time of the 'generation'. In short, time is running out for them, again. Twelve years back they began to change the generation thing due to time running out. Now those adjustments are becoming more frequent. They must back off from chronology as basis. They will become more mainstream in constantly declaring that we are 'in the time of the end'.

Jeff

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

As an aside;

In the next two years, IMO, they will stop publishing the partakers at the memorial number, using some excuse like 'Jehovah knows who they are - and we can't read the hearts'. They will either quit publishing the number or will dilute the meaning so significantly by the coming changes that no one will pay any attention to that number any longer.

I think they will just stop publishing it. That might be included in this change, who knows.

There may well be a short uproar over that. But within months no one will notice or care. Brain off. That's what they want.

Jeff

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

AK - Jeff

You make some good points here. Especially regarding the non reporting of the partakers, I think that is really possible. 1914 is and always has been a key foundation stone of the JW belief system. But its significance seems to be fading rather than suddenly changed. I think if 1914 was just suddenly abandoned it would hit the org hard, and I think they know this.

Gradualism - this is the thinking behind these changes.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

The WTS is married to 1914, and not prepared for the damages from a divorce.
    What they want to do is lead a separate life from the 1914 spouse without actual
    separation or divorce.

The 1995 definition of "Generation" was the French mistress of the WTS. Everybody
    knew she was there, but knew little about her. If WTS changes mistresses, nobody
    will really notice, or care much if they do.

In simple terms, they aren't ready to abandon 1914. They never abandoned 7000-year
    creation days, but moved away from that teaching. It looks like they will try to do the
    same for 1914, but it might take a generation or more to do it. Meanwhile, they easily
    toss a understanding that's 12 years old because it never really grabbed hold. If JW's
    didn't leave over the ridiculous definition from 1995, they won't leave when it's abandoned.
    It'll be spun to say, "The end is closer than ever."

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    I think if 1914 was just suddenly abandoned it would hit the org hard, and I think they know this.

I actually agree with this - though it does not look like it to the naked eye. I just believe that in the minds of those inside a cult, gradualism is a different animal than it is to you and me. If they make 3 or 4 'adjustments' over a period of less years, they can have 1914 out of the picture. They cannot say 'We drop 1914 as of today'. But they can make it appear as though Jehovah is giving them a pretty big flash of light over a few months time.

1914 has outlived it's usefulness. Most dubs would not suggest in conversation about how they know the end is near by resorting to 1914 even now. As few as 20 years back it was the main argument. Not anymore.

Of course, they can't totally abandon the date. But I believe they will alter it's significance so greatly that you won't recognise it any longer. I believe this will have two distict effects;

1. The oldtimers will barely notice and will go one thinking what they have always thought. This is the way the WTS wants it. I recall older ones in our congregation that still talked about 'Millions now living' talks from the 20's, while the young people had no idea what the hell they were talking about. It carried a charismatic feeling to the elderly ones, but no substance to the newer witnesses.
    2. Newer Jw's were never as enamored with 1914 as those of us who were born before 1960 or so. So these, who are now increasingly making up the mass of the organization, couldn't really care less anyway.

So, the older ones don't change the mindset. And the younger ones don't care anyway.

One of my final talks with an elder before I DA'd, as we spoke about the many things I saw that were wrong with the organization, ironically said " Well this generation is running out quickly. Not many left that saw 1914. DOn't make a mistake at this critical juncture of history"

That was in 2006. The generation had been changed in 1995 and it was as if he was unaware of it. He is about 70. Just one case of how I think they can get away with it. Mother will speak, but the older ones will not listen carefully enough to know thay she has changed her mind. The young children will go on playing as if nothing was said, enthralled with the games at hand.

Just my opines

Jeff

• oompa
    oompa

post from another similar thread. has anyone noticed this WT point?

AuldSoul, how does your understanding of your post re1995-2007:

Its commencement is no longer associated with a fixed time, nor does it have any rational terminus

fit in with this original WT explanation:

w9511/1p.20par.15ATimetoKeepAwake ***

15 Does our more precise viewpoint on "this generation" mean that Armageddon is further away than we had thought? Not at all!

Now if I recall, "we had thought" there was a "fixed time" and a "rational terminus" linked directly to to 1914. Yet all along, ever since 1995, WT says armageddon is no further away that we had thought.

any explanation anyone......oompa....ahh the mysteries of WTBS

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Oh it's just the society again trying to push God to do what they want him/her/them to do. It hasn't worked yet and never will but it sure keeps the rank and file on the hook.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit