If Walmart employees can do it and win, why can't we?

by REBORNAGAIN 69 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe
    It takes vision to think this large and at least consider the possibilities.

Actually, I was contemplating intellectual property. I've been told by more than one person whose opinion mattered that I'm a "deep thinker," and that I have "vision." I tend to think outside of the box, but I also have a clear notion of right, wrong, responsibility, and when an argument is completely bogus. Just because I don't subscribe to every bs half concocted scheme that comes frolicking along down the path of delusion doesn't mean I lack vision, but you're certainly entitled to your opinion.

I keep hearing mention of the tobacco settlements. First, there has been much discussion about how ridiculous and what a complete failure the tobacco settlements were. Furthermore, you're ignoring the reason the courts sided with the plaintiffs in the tobacco cases--it was a huge windfall of money for the states and government. Had the states and government not been a huge benefactor in the settlements, as the case would be with suing a religious organization, I can assure you the judgment would have been much different.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    Actually, I was contemplating intellectual property. I've been told by more than one person whose opinion mattered that I'm a "deep thinker," and that I have "vision."

You'll be great in that field, I'm sure. And you are so very right....my opinion doesn't matter in the least.

• rebel8
    rebel8

"However, regarding the blood issue, individulals who refused blood transfusions or parents who refused for their children CHOSE to do so. They were not forced, like victims of pedophilia, to do something they didn't want to do. And although it is very sad that so many have lost ones due to these choices, is a Judge really going to hold a religious organization responsible for the individuals decisions?"

I was with you until you said that, and it seems you are misunderstanding the issue. No one is claiming adults were forced to make a choice for themselves or their children. That has NOTHING to do with the issue.

To understand the legal facts, please visit www.ajwrb.org and read the document regarding the Tort of Misrepresentation.

Your comment was extremely offensive.

• John Doe
    John Doe

Rebel8, yes, I can see a possible cause of action regarding he blood issues, providing they fraudulently represented the medical issues while claiming to be an authority. I still think it would be a tough case to prove. The Society published much information regarding their opinion of the subject, but I don't think they ever claimed to be a medical authority, did they? The liaison committees might be an arguable circumstance.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree the blood thing is a hard case to win from a legal POV (having had it explained to me by an attorney). That is why we haven't found an attorney to take this on a contingency. Plus it appears there must be lasting physical harm as a direct result of misrepresentation of medical facts. Some day maybe someone rich will fund it and there will be a victory, although there very well could be no financial gain.

The wts may not have claimed they were a medical authority, but they intentionally misquoted and misrepresented what real medical authorities stated. My understanding is that would be the basis of a lawsuit, if there ever is one.

The comment about the tobacco companies--surely everyone can realize that is very different than what the wts did. The tobacco companies purposely addicted people by secretly adding addictive chemicals to their products, lied about it, bribed and paid scientists to lie, and refused (I mean, IS refusing, since this is still going on today) to modify its products to make them less harmful. The wts didn't do anything of the kind, did they? http://www.tobaccolawcenter.org/dojlitigation.html

I am always amazed when the subject of suing the wts is brought up and people get so upset about it. If it's true there is a solid legal case, go ahead and call an attorney--don't waste your time trying to convince a bunch of strangers on the Internet. No one's opinion here prevents you from taking action.

If you don't want to call, use Google and present your case to law firms online. It takes more time to post here than it does to take that first step.

Do it, and I hope you win!

• REBORNAGAIN
    REBORNAGAIN

quote: I am always amazed when the subject of suing the wts is brought up and people get so upset about it.

Is that not a reason alone for taking action? One day it will happen, somebody is going to have the means and the driving force to pull this off. If not me, then whoever.....and they will have my support as well.

LINDA

• rebel8
    rebel8

All you need to do is to phone an attorney or email them through their web site. No driving force needed.

• llbh
    llbh

in the uk hearsay is inadmissable I agree if the evidence can be adduced it could be worthwhile pursuing, We all make mistakes mine was joining wtbs - big mistake now sorted.BTW I am over it and very much enjoying my life and like many others here. Thanks Linda for your email as you can see your help worked

regards llbh

• sweetface2233
    sweetface2233

Rebel8, not all of us have the same thoughts and feelings, whether on this topic or any other. It is still my opinion, even after reading this entire thread, but I do apologize if anyone is offended by it.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I'm not a law student like John is, but to my knowledge, there's no law against brainwashing. You can't compare that with the suits that have been filed against the society in the pedophile cases, or the Mormon church about children being forced into marriage. There are actual laws being violated there. From a moral standpoint the society is reprehensible, but how do you make them liable from a legal standpoint, and still balance that with people exercising free will?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit