IMPORTANT: JWS and the CHARITIES COMMISSION

by Dansk 101 Replies latest jw friends

• James Free
    James Free

There is no harm in trying, if you feel that strongly about it. However, you are going down a cul-de-sac. In time you will discover that. In the UK, a religion qualifies for charity status. The WT can easily show that they are devoted to the spiritual welfare of the community due to their door-to-door activity. Arguments about whether ANYTHING they say is actually good for you spiritually is quite another thing - the Charity Commission will not get involved in doctrinal discussions. All the WT has to show is that they think so, and that they act on it. Comparing the WT to Scientology is a non-starter. The UK government is concerned that they are not even a religion, but a business. The JW's run their religion in many ways like a business too, but nobody disputes that it is a religion.

I want to make it clear that I wish you would succeed. Anything to hurt the WT is good with me. But it's important to focus on something that might work - and as I said before, in the UK, you have no chance whatsoever with this. In time you will discover it for yourself.

• Dansk
    Dansk

JF,

I am well versed with the Charities Commission as I have dealt with them twice before on the issue of JWs. Yes, they do try to fob you off but if people keep chipping away with complaints they will have to act. It's as if you're saying don't bother, whereas I say the more people who complain the greater the chance of something happening. So many people have been pained here and I have to say it miffs me when they are not prepared to take any action. If one is not prepared to take action then one shouldn't complain.

Ian

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

All big organisations try to fob you off, not just the Charity Commission - large retailers, the Government, council, you name it!! Let's face it, in spite of their apparent good intentions and noble ideas, they're full of human beings who just want a quiet life and no hassle - that means time, work and expense.

That's why it is important that we shout out and make ourselves heard and at least force them to make a proper and thorough investigation into the WTS claim to be a charity! If we don't win, at least there may be raised public awareness of WTS practices - and we can't be accused of doing nothing.

Bottom line is - We say nothing - they'll do nothing.

First they came for the Jews
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Jew.
    Then they came for the Communists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a Communist.
    Then they came for the trade unionists
    and I did not speak out
    because I was not a trade unionist.
    Then they came for me
    and there was no one left
    to speak out for me.

Pastor Martin Niemöller

This nation is dying of apathy!!! WAKE UP!!!!!

climbs down off soapbox again...

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega

Good idea !

The Charity Commission recently announced changes to their rules as to what constitutes a charity... it was a couple of months ago, but I don't have the link with me at the moment.

Basically the Charity must provide a public benefit... this applies to faith groups too... here is a quote from the proposal (I can't find the most recent one)

37. When deciding which groups of charities to look at first we will take account of issues of risk and public interest. For example, concerns have already been raised about educational institutions and hospitals, about other charities which charge fees. The Charities Bill proposes that the presumption of public benefit for religious purposes is removed. As a result, many such charities will be thinking about the public benefit requirement for the first time.
  • Dansk
    Dansk

((((((((((Emo)))))))))

I couldn't have said it better. Well done!

This is particulary the point:

That's why it is important that we shout out and make ourselves heard and at least force them to make a proper and thorough investigation into the WTS claim to be a charity! If we don't win, at least there may be raised public awareness of WTS practices - and we can't be accused of doing nothing.

Ian

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Hi Ian! Glad to see you've got your fighting energy back.

Just wanted to say that we've been here before. It can get a bit frustrating but the 'cumulative effect' is not to be discounted. We all need to be careful in our replies to the Charity Commision that we don't come across as just digruntled ex-members with a personal grudge.

Leave scriptures and doctrines out of it and simply focus on the potential for harm to members of the public. I even think it is best to pare our personal experiences down to a bare minimum of perhaps two or three sentences, anything more and we may lose personal credibility and objectivity in the eyes of the Commission.

I'm with you on this one.

Nic'

Changing the Watchtowers charitable status (UK)

The Watchtower Society and Corporate Manslaughter

I've been browsing the Charity Commision website (UK)

Watchtower (UK) Data Protection registry entry.

Edited to make the links work.

• Clam
    Clam

Nic I agree. I'm drafting my correspondence as objectively as I'm able. I'm covering the following ...

i) The parent WBTS is an incredibly wealthy organisation. Jehovah's Witnesses are just one of its "businesses."

ii) I'm giving examples of local HLC activity and how it has resulted in tragedy and suffering.

iii) They do nothing charitable and in reality distance themselves from their community, perpetuating the idea of "worldly outsiders."

There is a debate here on whether it's worthwhile or not, but how much time does it take? It's not exactly a Herculean task. I'm swapping it for another job I was doing today, ie mowing the lawn. :o)

Clam

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

As a former accounts servant who knows where the money
    went, and where it didn't go, I thought I'd better join in the fray.

I concentrated on how wealthy they really are, what they spend their
    money on, and how they really have no interest in society as a whole,
    apart from their ministry work, whch is designed to make more converts
    to their religion and thus generate more income for them anyway,

I pointed out that while many churches actually do try to help the less
    fortunate members of society in practical ways, all the watchtower has
    to offer anyone is a few cheap magazines and books.

This is a worthwhile campaign Ian. It would be a great day for both ex jws
    and society as a whole if the watchtower were to lose their charitable status.
    Not such a good day for the org though!

Trev

• Dansk
    Dansk

I'm gad we're gaining support for this campaign. As I've said many times, charitable status is Watchtower's weakness. To lose its tax exemption would be highly costly. What would they do, ask members to charge for the Watchtower and Awake again?

We CAN defeat Watchtower but it really needs a concerted effort by everyone here, particularly UK members but all tragedies regarding Watchtower from whichever country should be made known to the commission. As has been pointed out, charitable status for religions is being/has been changed. Now is a good time to strike!

Excellent suggestions Clam and Nic. Oh, and Nic, guess I must be getting better now that my fighting spirit has returned!

Would anyone like to tell the commission about the paedophile issue and supply links to Silent Lambs? You could even cite the Panorama programme. I'll refrain from that one as I'm concentrating on the blood issue at present

Ian

• Dansk
    Dansk

BTTT because it is profoundly important. You don't have to be in the UK to write to the Charities Commission.

Ian

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit