Is belief in God just the ultimate in CYA?

by nvrgnbk 63 Replies latest jw friends

• CyrusThePersian
    CyrusThePersian

If it isn't, we're all in the same boat, so it doesn't matter anyway.

They've lost nothing.

I have to diagree. If you spend your life in devotion to a diety that doesn't exist you've lost everything!

There is no concrete evidence, anywhere, that man lives on after his seventy or eighty year sojourn on this planet. Therefore all you have, all you posess, is TIME!

If you choose to waste your time giving worship and service to whatever gods you choose instead of using your precious time leading a life that benefits your fellowman and leading a happy fulfilling life then you have wasted the only commodity you have, your time.

There are those who say that worship gives them a fulfilling life and to those I say 'more power to ya!' But as for me, I've got better things to do with the few precious years I have alloted to me.

CyrusThePersian

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

If it isn't, we're all in the same boat, so it doesn't matter anyway.

They've lost nothing.

I have to diagree. If you spend your life in devotion to a diety that doesn't exist you've lost everything!

I agree, Cyrus.

I was presenting what I perceived to be the thinking of many theists on the subject.

But I've been corrected on that.

• 5go
    5go

To all of those who wonder why us athiest point out problems with all religions. It is done for about the same reason we all point the watchtower's problems. We believe it will help people come out from under the repressive control of others.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Interesting topic. Sooooo many questions these days. *sigh*

I have asked several people, how do they know for sure God cares for them. Most answers are from a personal experience.

Now I was one of those as well. When I left the org, I prayed like I had never prayed before, and I "felt" God's protection, care whatever. My problem is, I have a decent life, not many problems, good job, good friends and family. One could say I feel/felt blessed. BUT...what about everybody else?? This bothers me a lot.

There are thousands who die everyday, or who are in the midst of many trials...where is God for them? So as much as I want to believe he is a loving daddy that will not put his children in harms way, the majority of the world is in harms way. So is he (if he is there) a loving daddy?

I still haven't figured it out. One of my old agnostic friends who was FLOORED when I finally told him I had left the religion jokingly tells me he "prays withe the best of them, just in case ;)" CYA...even him.

Sorry for the vent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit