Is belief in God just the ultimate in CYA?

by nvrgnbk 63 Replies latest jw friends

• Vinny
    Vinny

"Just don't open the thread if you're one of those that might get insulted. Simple as that, Vinny."

*** I have been doing just that btw. But like most here, I had no idea what CYA meant. So I opened it up. And believe the title is an insulting theme to those that o believe. Sure, I believe just to save my a$$...

C-mon, give me a break.

• Vinny
    Vinny

"Sometimes being insulted is a good thing Vinny! Kinda gets your blood flowing, makes you think and gets you to defend your beliefs!"

***** Heh... I don't think you know my history to well. I have no problem mixing it up. The last thread I was involved with it was me against close to 50 atheists... for weeks. Same with the one before that... and another.

But Nvr has been doing this non-stop in my opinion. As have others. Is he really looking for answers? Or trying to continue his jabs at believers?

I have my opinion. Though I could be wrong. In the end, my oriniginal comment on this thread is the one that I stand by. Just in a nicer tone...

: )

• kerj2leev
    kerj2leev
    Sure, I believe just to save my a$$...

If you didn't get a reward, would you still believe? And what would be the benenfit of believing?

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

You are constantly making comments that knock believers on the JWD. Want me to post them?

That's ok.

I think my tone is much softer than that of some other atheists here.

If you like, I'll just leave.

• Vinny
    Vinny

"If you didn't get a reward, would you still believe? And what would be the benenfit of believing? "

*** I have been PUNISHED, and yet still believe. As you know, nobody leaves the JW's without significant repercussions.

There ARE benefits for believing. But they have nothing to do with WHY I believe. Thanks for asking,

• Vinny
    Vinny

I think my tone is much softer than that of some other atheists here.

*** Very true.

"If you like, I'll just leave."

**** If you left the JWD because of my post, I'd have to leave with you. Cause if I stayed, Id be run out of town...

: (

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Vinny, please don't misunderstand the phrase CYA.

It's used by professionals in many fields to refer to measures taken for self-preservation/protection.

There is nothing derogatory in it.

Please accept my apologies for offending you.

• Vinny
    Vinny

I'm not sure how applying such a phrase to one's entire belief system would not at least raise an eyebrow.

But, I appreciate your taking the time to share your reasons.

A cold beer would be the next move.... on me.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

A cold beer would be the next move.... on me.

I would graciously accept and reciprocate.

• Vinny
    Vinny

"I would graciously accept and reciprocate."

*** Then I would have to reciprocate back. That's three quick cold ones....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit