Is belief in God just the ultimate in CYA?

by nvrgnbk 63 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I doubt it.

Many on JWD and many I've spoken to, JWs and non-JWs, have chosen Christianity, just in case.

They are betting that it may be right.

If it is, they go to heaven/paradise and avoid hell/eternal separation from God.

If it isn't, we're all in the same boat, so it doesn't matter anyway.

They've lost nothing.

I can't speak to the personal case of Pascal.

Thanks for the additional info on him, Narkissos.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Nope, because that's assuming you attribute judgement and punishment to the Divine, which I personally do not. Religion teachs cover your own ass, spirituality teachs love.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Religion teachs cover your own ass, spirituality teachs love.

I like that.

Thanks, sweetstuff.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    Many on JWD and many I've spoken to, JWs and non-JWs, have chosen Christianity,just in case.

They are betting that it may be right.

Just wondering whether the highlighted parts belong to their own self-descriptionor to your own understanding of their stance.

A halfway possibility might be that Christians sometimes resort to the "wager" or "bet" analogy when they get cornered in a "prove me you're right" discussion. Apologetics (the "Judas kiss of stupidity" according to Kierkegaard) usually draw the worst out of the best (and Pascal's wager is a fair example in this respect).

Otherwise, I have known many Christians of many types and I hardly ever came across "bet" speech as part of their life story.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Just wondering whether the highlighted parts belong to their own self-descriptionor to your own understanding of their stance.

The former, as opposed to the latter.

But I'll shut up now.

As I'm typing this I think we may have in mind two different types of Christians.

I have in mind the more prevalent nominal/casual Christians.

You are no doubt referring to those you know that take their beliefs very seriously.

I apologize for my lack of understanding.

• 5go
    5go

To believe in god is love is another one. Read about god in the bible, and tell me some thing; if that is love, what is hate!

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

I'm sure most people flock to religions of all sorts, "just in case" it's true - the same way kids desperately try to go to sleep the night before xmas, even if they're a little in doubt, "just in case" Santa - (or some other authority bribing them with gifts or terrorizing them) - sees their wayward failure to fall asleep like good little girls and boys should do.

I also wonder how many "devout Muslims" in Islamic Republics are plain old atheists who wouldn't dare speak out? Probably more than we will ever know - due to the FOG - fear obligation guilt - induced by the cultural zeitgeist, if not by outright terrorism of oppressive governments.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm sure most people flock to religions of all sorts, "just in case" it's true - the same way kids desperately try to go to sleep the night before xmas, even if they're a little in doubt, "just in case" Santa - (or some other authority bribing them with gifts or terrorizing them) - sees their wayward failure to fall asleep like good little girls and boys should do.

I also wonder how many "devout Muslims" in Islamic Republics are plain old atheists who wouldn't dare speak out? Probably more than we will ever know - due to the FOG - fear obligation guilt - induced by the cultural zeitgeist, if not by outright terrorism of oppressive governments.

http://atheism.about.com/b/a/163779.htm

Atheist's Wager

Many Christians attempt to persuade atheists to change by using Pascal's Wager (though many don't use that label and seem unaware of its origin). They argue that it's "safer" to "bet" on the existence of their god because, if it exists, then believers go to heaven and the rest go to hell. This is a very poor argument and there are many flaws, but can atheists offer an alternative?

According to Errorlevel:

Instead, my wager is that if there is a god, and it is a just god, then living a just and moral life will be acknowledged regardless of ones beliefs. If there exists an unjust or immoral god, then I could never satisfy both my conscience and such a god. My wager is that if the Christians are right about god being just and all-knowing and all-loving, I will be rewarded if I act in morally sound, justified ways.

I don’t know if there is a god. To me, the idea of a god, or even of an afterlife pales in importance to what we experience everyday. Life. Life is the only thing that I “know” I have and when that is gone, I doubt I’ll be around to care, however, others will. I must live my life as I please, and since I believe I will only ever get one chance at it, I want to live it in the best manner that I can and help others do the same.

I'v tried to make similar observations myself. A just and moral deity wouldn't condition "eternal bliss" or "eternal torment" on a single belief. Such infinite fates aren't even morally just consequences of a finite life and a finite set of actions, but how much less just are they for a single belief? There is no morally just system under which either reward or punishment would be imposed for a belief (or lack thereof) that isn't even chosen in the first place.

• Vinny
    Vinny

NO! Belief in a Supreme Being is not just to CYA. That is insulting to insinuate. But I am sure you knew that, Nvr. Just another sorry attempt to start with your atheist rhetoric. This is a ((((JW)))) recovery site. Yet the atheists try to make it something different altogether.

Which is why many threads, similar to this one, end up turning into TROUNCETIME. And then feelings get hurt.

If you want to promote "atheist" threads go to an atheist site.

Vinny

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Sorry you take the posting of questions and opinions as a personal attack against yourself or any other believer, Vinny.

It's surely not intended that way.

Has it crossed your mind that I discuss the subject because I'd sincerely like to believe but haven't yet found reason to?

If you could abandon your "TROUNCETIME" rhetoric for a moment, you might see that.

If you read my responses to believers on this or any other thread, have you found my tone to be insulting or disrespectful?

As for this being an JW recovery site, don't I qualify as a member?

Want to see my publisher's card?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit