Has the Watchtower ever officially LIED?

by Dead Man Joaquin 59 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Dead Man Joaquin
    Dead Man Joaquin

No, I'm not here to defend them. But you know how they love to get off on technicalities. I'm sure all here would agree that the WT is extremely evasive, misleading, and intellectually dishonest (i.e. Theocratic Warfare), and can't prophecy or exegete its way out of a wet paper bag, but you can be all that without ever actually flat-out LYING (the letter of the law if not the spirit). For example, if you actually read the disclaimer on the WT Library CD-ROM it states somewhere that the contents therein cannot be guaranteed to be the exact representation of the original material (or something to that effect), so we can't really nail them there for revisionist history. Are there any documented, provable examples of the WT actually stating, in print or otherwise, something that is patently and demonstrably false, where they can't play the tired "Oh, we never actually SAID that" card? Just wondering.

• Scully
    Scully

Personally, I feel that the only true statement that they've ever made was this:

Religion is a snare and a racket.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Has the Watchtower ever officially LIED?

Yes.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Lots of times they knowingly twisted secular sources and claimed they supported wt teachings, sometimes completely opposite of what the source really said: http://www.jwinfo.8m.com/misquotes.htm

There is a lie right now on their web site:
    "A few critics, however, including some former associates of Jehovah's Witnesses, charge that the Witnesses attempted to compromise with the Hitler regime in its early days. They claim that representatives of the Watch Tower Society tried unsuccessfully to curry favor with the new government and that, at least for a time, they endorsed the racist ideology of the Nazis, which eventually led to the murder of six million Jews.

These serious allegations are absolutely false."

http://www.watchtower.org/e/19980708/article_01.htm

Compare with 1934 Yearbook of Jehovah's Witnesses (2 lies here actually):

"We do not object or try to hinder anyone's teaching or believing what he desires ... Instead of being against the principles advocated by the government of Germany, we stand squarely for such principles..."

http://www.bible.ca/jw-hitler#declaration1934

• BFD
    BFD

pee

BFD

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

"Shortly, within our twentieth century, the "battle in the day of Jehovah" will begin against the modern antitype of Jerusalem, Christendom. - par.9, pp 216, "The Nations Shall Know That I Am Jehovah"- How?

The paragraphs following this one clearly indicate that the battle described is literal and not figurative.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

"As regards the alleged involvement of children the applicant association submits that children cannot become members of the association but only participate, together with their parents, in the religious activities of the community. In respect of the refusal of blood transfusion, the applicant association submits that there are no religious sanctions for a Jehovah's Witness who chooses to accept blood transfusion and that, therefore, the fact that the religious doctrine of Jehovah's Witnesses is against blood transfusion cannot amount to a threat to 'public health ' " (European Commission of Human Rights Application No. 288626/95, Khristiansko Sdruzhenie "Svideteli na Iehova" v. Bulgaria).

• erandir
    erandir
    For example, if you actually read the disclaimer on the WT Library CD-ROM it states somewhere that the contents therein cannot be guaranteed to be the exact representation of the original material (or something to that effect), so we can't really nail them there for revisionist history.

It's true. I didn't believe it at first, but I looked at the license agreement myself and guess what I found:

DISCLAIMER. EXCEPT FOR THE LIMITED WARRANTY SET FORTH ABOVE, THE SOFTWARE AND THE PRINTED MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED TO YOU IN "AS IS" CONDITION WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF PERFORMANCE, MERCHANTABILITY, AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. YOU BEAR ALL RISK RELATING TO QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE SOFTWARE. YOU ASSUME COMPLETE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE SELECTION AND INSTALLATION OF THE SOFTWARE. SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF IMPLIED WARRANTIES, SO SOME PORTION OF THE STATED EXCLUSIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY GIVES YOU SPECIFIC LEGAL RIGHTS, AND YOU MAY HAVE OTHER RIGHTS THAT VARY AMONG JURISDICTIONS. WATCH TOWER DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE DATA IS IDENTICAL TO WATCH TOWER'S PUBLICATIONS.

That last line is the kicker. To what kind of honesty do "the brothers" running the show at the WT Headquarters subscribe that allows them to get away with something like this? That is just wrong, in my opinion.

• greendawn
    greendawn

They claim that they are not liable for dubs dying by refusing blood because they themselves made the decision not to take blood. What they don't say is that they coerced them into this through false interpretations of the Bible and the shunning policy. They are surely responsible for those deaths, had they (the FDS) not been around all those people or at least most of them would still be alive.

• metatron
    metatron

"If you are a young person, you also need to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present

system of things....Therefore, as a young person, you will never fufill any career that this system

offers." May 22 1969 Awake. This was addressed to young people considering college, 37 years

ago. They are now getting old and scrambling to fund retirement.

They lied.

metatron

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit