Has the Watchtower ever officially LIED?

by Dead Man Joaquin 59 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Doug Mason
    Doug Mason

A few of their lies:

Altering words in Studies in the Scriptures and continuing to sell them. (see: Shadduck's booklet "Seven Thunders of Millenial Dawn")

Misquoting authorities such as Julius Mantey on John 1:1 and Hislop on "Trinity". (see the booklet "Scholastic Dishonesty of the Watchtower")

Misrepresenting authorities in its booklet "JWs answer questions about blood". (I produced a study on that some 20 years ago).

Misrepresenting historical sources, such as on chronology (such as on the Adda-Guppi stele in Pritchard's "Ancient Near Eastern Texts")

Many other examples are given in "The Watchtower Files", by Duane Magnani.

Its biggest lie: "the Kingdom of God is a government". And on top of that lie, to claim that it has the key role in that government.

Doug

• Cheetos
    Cheetos

Has the WT ever Lied?

Um, has the Roster ever crowed in the morning? Has Joseph Smith of the mormons ever told a lie? Has Jack Danials ever gave me a head ache? Has Chuck A Rama (Upchuck A Rama) ever made me Earl?

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep
    Awake! 1973 January 22 p.8 “… Jehovah's witnesses pointed to the year 1914, decades in advance , as marking the start of "the conclusion of the system of things.”

I haven't got a copy in front of me, but I believe there is a similar lie to this one in The Sept 1, 2007 WT. Something about the Bible Students looking forward to the second coming in 1914.

Cheers

Chris

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

Most, if not all of us who were jws have lied, and quite deliberately.

Think about this scenario on the doors:

jw: We've come to speak to you about the bible/offer you this magazine

householder: I have my own religion, read the bible and go to church

jw: Well, that's good. We aren't here to try and change your beliefs.

Ever said that? I have, and I've heard plenty of other jws say it. It's
    one of the responses the org told us to use if we met a member of
    another religion in the ministry, And it's a deliberate lie - the main
    purpose of the ministry is to persuade people to become jws.

So yes, the watchtower has officially lied, and encouraged it's
    followers to lie as well.

• Ancientofdays
    Ancientofdays

Awake! 1973 January 22 p.8 “… Jehovah's witnesses pointed to the year 1914, decades in advance , as marking the start of "the conclusion of the system of things.”

Cannot find this sentence in my CD-ROM Italian version.

At that time Italian magazine were some monthe delayed. So, could you please give title of this article ?

thanks

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

Who

Can Accurately Predict Man’s Future?

• DocBob
    DocBob

C & P of a post I did long ago and far away:

In the 8/15/1993 Watchtower, page 9, in the article " Why You Need to Attend Christian Meetings", the Watchtower made the following statement:

" Jehovah's Witnesses have consistently shown from the Scriptures that the year 1914 marked the beginning of this world's time of the end and that "the day of judgment and of destruction of the ungodly men" has drawn near."

An examination of older Watchtower publications shows that Jehovah's Witnesses (or Bible Students as they were previously known) did have NOT "consistently shown from the Scriptures that the year 1914 marked the beginning of this world's time of the end..." Rather, the Watchtower pointed to another date for the beginning of the "time of the end."

In the "Finished Mystery" book, on page 239, the WTS says:

"This is without question a fulfilment of the prophecy testifying to the "time of the end." These physical facts can not be disputed and are sufficient to convince any reasonable mind that we have been in the "time of the end" since 1799."

Also, from the March 1, 1922 Watch Tower:

" The indisputable facts, therefore, show that the "time of the end" began in 1799; that the Lord's second presence began in 1874."

The book "Creation," published by the WTS in 1927 has a very detailed explanation as to why they felt 1799 was the beginning of the time of the end. Here are a few quotes.

Creation

, page 293:

"Napoleon began this Egyptian campaign in 1798, finished it, and then returned t.o France on October 1, 1799. The campaign is briefly, yet graphically, described in the prophecy, verses 40-44; and its being completed in 1799 marks, according to the prophet’s own words, the beginning of "the time of the end".

Creation,

page 294

"Twelve hundred and sixty years from 539 A. D. brings us to 1799, which is another proof that 1799 definitely marks the beginning of "the time of the end ".

Creation

, page 295

From shortly after 1799, the date of the beginning of "the time of the end", we should expect to find an increase of knowledge, particularly with reference to the Bible.

Going back just a few years to 1921, in the book "The Harp of God" says on page 236:

"The time of the end" embraces a period from 1799 A.D., as above indicated, to the time of the complete overthrow of Satan's empire and the establishment of the kingdom of the Messiah. The time of the Lord's second presence dates from 1874, as above stated. The latter period is within the first named, of course, and in the latter part of the period known as "the time of the end."

Another example is from the 1/15/93 WT, page 5 in the article "Caught Away to Meet the Lord'-How?":

" The Watchtower has consistently presented evidence to honesthearted students of Bible prophecy that Jesus' presence in heavenly Kingdom power began in 1914. Events since that year testify to Jesus' invisible presence."

The WT actually taught for many years that Jesus returned (invisibly,of course) in 1874 and that he took power in heaven in 1878.

So, are these just "mistakes" that were corrected in due time, or were both statements from the 1993 WT deliberate attempts to misead the readers of the WT as to what the WT taught in the past?

• RollerDave
    RollerDave

I think the question is, have they ever NOT lied.

As has been pointed out before, 'religion is a snare and a racket' may be their one true statement.

RD

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde
    Just ask anyone who went through the big 1975 scare. None of us were to graduate High School. There was total panic, and anyone who sold their home to move and start pioneering, or move out to the boonies to save their families was applauded.

Three years ago I happened to just mention to my daughter and son-in-law that the WT was encouraging people to sell their homes and property. They went to my father (my daughter's grandfather) and, to make a long story short, my father disinherited me (even though he lived through the 1975 era). In their minds I had spoken against the FDS.

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

The brudders are selling der homes. what a fine example in the short time remaining - later - we did not say that jehovah said that so there!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit