Do you think JW's grow and mature as they age?

by megsmomma 24 Replies latest jw friends

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Does being a JW stunt you?

Put me down for yes.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Certainly not intellectually, expanding their intellect is purposely made redundant by the WTS.

It's pretty hard to mature and grow properly when there is a shell over you and you are not allowed to look outside of that shell.

In some ways you remain a child, with a child's intellect.

• blueviceroy
    blueviceroy

Free independent thought is forbidden no new ideas that would cause developmental retardation fosho!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Does being a JW stunt you?

Severely. Yes it does. Or to answer the thread question, "Do you think JW's grow and mature as they age?"
    They do not mature at the normal expectancy.

My mother was DF'ed after 1975 and went back. She is an intelligent woman, but she believes
    the doctrines (Hey, so did I). She is like she is stalled. She doesn't seem to be acquiring wisdom
    or "maturing" mentally. Her husband does seem to do so, but she's the same. She actually used
    to think for herself quite well. Now, if I discuss stuff, she thinks that her thoughts are her own. She
    thinks she is an independent thinker. In reality, she mirrors the WTS. Their thoughts are correct and
    she speaks them. I say that everyone should examine the issues entirely on their own, and she says
    she does, but really does not.

Other older ones I noticed in the congregation seem to be stuck or stalled also. They equate "wisdom"
    with better unity with the WTS, better loyalty to whatever they say.

Good question.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Eyeve bine a Johova Witless al mi liffe and eye doant noa whet yor taking aboot !

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

When the issues of Global warming are discussed, the typical JW thinks that
    Man is ruining the earth, but Jehovah will step in at the right moment to save the
    day. This means no need to concern oneself or learn the real issues.

At the local museum, there are examples of how the Pacific islanders got there
    from the mainland thousands of years ago, or how native Americans might have
    arrived from Asia. Plenty of things that a JW would just look at and say, "NO,
    they got there after the flood about 5 thousand years ago, so SCIENCE IS WRONG."
    No personal research or even considering who might be wrong.

When anything concerning evolution comes up in the news or on a documentary
    about animals or whatever (dinosaurs surviving through birds is big right now), the
    JW just chuckles at the ignorance of people believing any such nonsense and
    don't use their own minds to listen.

Strife in Iraq- Vengeance belongs to Jehovah, don't have an opinion, be neutral.
    Tsunami- proof that Jehovah's day is near, don't concern yourself with what should be done.

I could go on and on how JW's are stunted in their natural mental growth.

• Honesty
    Honesty

JW's do not have to think because they have Jehovah's Organization doing all of it for them.

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Yes they are stunted, I find it interesting though to watch once militant, hardcore witnesses become more mellow and lenient with the passage of time yet never question their belief system whatsoever. It's baffling. My parents for instance were so hardcore when we were kids, Armageddon was right around the corner after all! Over the years, I have seen them mellow alot in what they will and won't do, watch and won't watch etc., yet their belief that its the "truth" never falters. They never stopped to look back at the way they were and notice any change in themselves over the years. It's like they all wear perpetual blinders, don't look to the side, don't look back, just straight ahead.

• moshe
    moshe

This reminds me of a show about North Korea. A special team of doctors was allowed into North Korea on a humanitarin mission to do eye surgeries. Some of these people had been blind since childhood. When the bandages were taken off and they found out that they could see what did they do? Why they praised their dictator Kim Jong II- on and on it went- not one patient thanked the doctors from the outside. JW's can't seem to thank anyone but the WT Society and the wonderful " Spiritual Paradise" that they have been given by the GB and the unnamed faithul and discreet slave class. Heaven forbid that they should thank our governments, schools, public officials, police and firemen, hospitals, etc, for the good life they have. It's all about glory to the GB at WT Hdqtrs.

• flipper
    flipper

They are so stunted and coddled and mind controlled and "protected " alledgedly from this world, they haven't even come out of the womb yet. Figuratively speaking of course. Most of them don't even know child molesters are among them . Their leaders make sure they don't know. So no, they don't grow , and no, they are not allowed to mature in ways that are important and really matter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit