The fade is over, talked to my parents last night. (very very long)

by Paralipomenon 70 Replies latest jw friends

• tula
    tula

I really feel for you. I am just embarking on revealing some of these things and pretty much getting the same reaction "nothing earth shattering" as you say. As a matter of fact, I get replies that still defend the society and ideas that the UN thing may have had altruistic intentions that were necessary. Because after all, every move is dictated by the halo people. Sometimes its hard to know which is the lesser of the two evils...the truth, or the truth about the truth. I wish there were an absolute here.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Sounds like that was hard but now your parents know where you stand. I agree with you about the kids, I don't play that either with my children.

Josie

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Well done, but so sad. No matter what evidence you present they just don't get it.

Invasion of the Body Snatchers comes to mind.

• Smiles_Smiles
    Smiles_Smiles

Wow!

HUGS!!!

• undercover
    undercover

I know it was hard, but you did a great job.

I like how you didn't come across as uncertain, confused or doubting, but that you had come to a decision and this is it, like it or not.

I can relate with how you had no anger or resentment toward your parents. My parents are basically good people and did a pretty darn good job raising us kids. It's just they they were part of the cult and raised us in it as well. They're still in it and we're out of it and it is very difficult to overcome their perception of being on Jehovah's side or being on Satan's side.

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

((((((((((((((((Para and Bobbi))))))))))))))))))))))))

That was a bit emotionally exhausting to read, let alone be there. I wonder what was meant by saying "we're proud of you" Was it in that you are too smart to get DF'd or DA yourselves....or proud that you are making your mind up based on facts and knowledge? Do you know what they meant Para?

I feel so bad for them......It must FEEL so wrong to have to say and do certain things that just go way beyond your natural human reactions. No wonder your mom just had to keep saying DAMN.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Para,

Your conversation was so deep and thoughtful. At least they listened, to some extent. But the JW indoctrination will always rule their emotions.

I assured them that I just wanted mutual respect for beliefs. I will respect theirs, and ask them to respect mine.

That's where I had to leave it with my JW/elder Dad. There will be no more preaching or "encouragement" to come back from him, and I will respect his decision to follow his religion..

• BFD
    BFD

Para,

What a hard thing to have to do. It seems like they have a lot of respect for you. I hope it all works out and you do not lose them.

BFD

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

(((Para & Bobbi)))

Wow. What really struck me was the logical disconnect--the ingrained cognitive dissonance. "We know it's wrong, but we go along and act like it's right so that when Jehovah makes it right, we can say we followed like good little sheep."

Arrgh!

I have great respect for your courage and patience.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

That sounds like my mother's reaction might be if she and I have a total talk.
    Right now, she ignores my inactivity and pretends she is ignorant of a problem.

Your parents looked for a loophole in JW doctrine, which means they don't agree
    with the doctrine 100%, but that's like looking for a loophole in your taxes. You
    want to find it, but regardless of what you find, you don't go fighting the IRS.

I suppose that you could just not take the elders' calls at all, but since you are
    out there now, holidays and decorating could be a big problem. I could see you
    guys getting DA'ed or DF'ed.

Would a reasonable compromise be okay? You all do what you want, but don't
    do it to the outside of your home? Outasight outamind. Your parents need the
    okay to talk to you at this point, or they will follow the WT commands.

Wish you well either way. Great story of pushing toward freedom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit