The fade is over, talked to my parents last night. (very very long)

by Paralipomenon 70 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Para and Bobbi, good luck. I hope all works out well for you and the kids.

Do keep in mind that the elders might go after your folks for not following their lead if they deem you "bad association".

• Quandry
    Quandry

) My mother was actually asked me to send her links on 607 and the UN scandal. She hadn't heard of it before and wanted to research it. Given how the conversation went from that point on, I'm debating sending it right away, maybe in a few months I'll ask if she's looked anything up. She's discovering the internet and even surprised me by suggesting I look up the roots of Halloween on "Wikia". The fact that she barely can send email, but knows about wikia is encouraging.

I feel that this is very encouraging. Just send the information and give it some time. This is going to be very distressing. You have had a long time to digest all the info and they are new to it all. Tread carefully.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

All in all it sounds like it went well. Congrats on that and on to enjoying your freedom your way!

Kwin

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Congrats Para, well done.

• V1710
    V1710

Para,

You did a what was right...you remained true to yourself and your family. Don't let your parent's hurt feelings keep you from feeling free. It's their belief system, not you that has disappointed them. At least all the cards are on the table and you don't have to pretend anymore. Enjoy being yourself.

"One must leave the shade of the family tree to have a place in the sun."

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I don't understand why people discuss the pedophile thing being so bad because the hid it. The best way to get to your family is by showing that the NUMBER 1 rule Jesus taught was judge others on how you would want to be judge. They judge the churches on this as a sign of false religion. Just on the basis of Jesus they would have to Judge themselves by these exact same standards. Perhaps using this argument and not deviating from it might have more impact. It certainly did on my Dad.

• changeling
    changeling

All in all I feel that went very well. You got your feelings off your chest and your parents have not shunned you.

See it as a good thing. Let some time pass and emotions cool off.

You're going to be OK.

I'm proud of you,

changeling

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

good for you - facing the issue rather than avoiding it. That's not easy. By the way, "apparently the flood was in October and that's when the demons lost all their children" is new to me. Do they actually believe that?

• jgnat
    jgnat

Wow, wow, wow. What a very long way you have come. You always played your cards close to your chest and when the cards were right, you sprung your wife. Not a bad deal, not a bad deal at all.

Your parents sound like naturally good people.

Who knows what light might go on?

• mentalclearness
    mentalclearness

Wow..I'm very impressed with many people's courage to talk with their parents so forthright about doctrinal issues that are wrong. When I spoke with my family I just basically stated that I didn't believe this was God's approved organization on earth. I didn't get into the doctrines, just said there was absolutely no difference with other organized religions claiming the same thing. I could not be a part of something I didn't believe. It was much milder than your conversation for sure. But I'm hoping baby steps...little by little....One thing at a time. What I've noticed myself is that unless there is some sort of disappointment with the organization on a more human level, they will never question or research doctrine. Many actually believe, that although things may not be correct, it's still the best way to live your life right now..Of course, they really don't know any other alternative, and most won't consider it even. So I'm hoping in my family they will continue to get discouraged with the way people are mistreated in the congregation and big mistakes are made in judgement. My family is probably alot like your in that they are very balanced naturally good people and are turned off by injustice. I hope that is what will make them rethink their religion.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit