Bill O'Reilly- Restaurant was nice, ''even though it's run by blacks''

by nvrgnbk 76 Replies latest jw friends

• watson
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks for that, watson.

• watson
    watson

You should have seen the looks of consternation on the faces of the White parents that a Black child could out perform their little darlings blisters.

No, I can't imagine Christ making a statement like that.

• snowbird
    snowbird

No, I can't imagine Christ making a statement like that.

How about one like this:

Matthew 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but inwardly ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Sylvia

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Snowbird, I know what you mean. I think it is funny that people are shocked when a black person does good in academics or politics. And if you want to really piss off all the bigots and racists in the world, the best way to do it is to make damn sure you and your kids do better than them in every way possible. That's the best revenge. Do better than them and enjoy your life more than them in spite of them. They'll all die from a bleeding ulcer just thinking about it.

I hate to say it, but I've seen such a thing in my family, too. I had relatives that I hadn't seen in years visiting my house here in Georgia. Apparently, the word didn't make it through the grapevine to them that my wife wasn't white. Well, they called the house for directions and my wife answered. She gave them the directions for me. Well, when they finally got to the house, they were shocked that she was "black" (even though she's several different races, to everybody she's "black"). One of the first things they said was "My, she speaks so well! She doesn't sound black!" I know that they were trying to be nice, but I just had to tell them how damn stupid that sounded. My wife was privately schooled and college educated. What did they expect her to sound like?? I asked what type of phone they had, because I had a top of the line cell phone and it wasn't equipped with the feature that allowed me to hear colors.

As I've said before, I moved to Georgia when I was still in school. I was shocked when I was in a mostly black high school about some of the things I saw. I learned that if one of the black kids was doing good in school and applying themselves, the other black kids would accuse them of "trying to be white". If one of the black kids got good grades and spoke properly, they were considered to be "sellouts" or "oreos". I find it disturbing that many white people act shocked when a black person does well in academics, but I find it equally disturbing that other black people treat them as "sellouts" for doing good; that somehow they've abandoned their culture or heritage by becomming a success. HOW STUPID IS THIS???? Society has a long way to go to stop that kind of stuff from happening. It all starts at home with parents. I drill it into my daughter's head every day that she needs to do good in school, so that way when she grows up she can do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants, have whatever she wants and be whatever she wants.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Matthew 23:28 Even so ye also outwardly appear righteous unto men, but inwardly ye are full of hypocrisy and iniquity.

Sylvia

Amen!

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Dortacular

I don't need to trust you, I know that that there are bigots of all races is a fact independently. It is statement of the obvious.

But just as two wrongs don't make a right, a whole lot of wrongs don't make a right.

I know that if people know that speaking like an ignorent bigot gets you publically ridiculed, lambasted, humiliated, maybe even fired, they don't do it as often as when people shrug and say 'well, it wasn't to me personally, or my family'.

If you act complacently in the face of behaviour like that towards others, it's more likely it will happen to you and yours.

And if it is okay (and it is okay) for people to have the freedom to be ignorent bigots and speak what passes for their mind, then it is another statement of the obvious that it is okay that other people can speak their mind when they react to it.

Keeping quiet and not rocking the boat because it does not effect you directly today will not reduce the amount of spittle and the insults that get directed towards, say, children of mixed race tomorrow.

And come on, are you really telling me if racist rhethoric used by public figures in Germany in the 1930's had been reacted to negatively (instead of passively accepted by the majority) history would be unchanged?

Are you really telling me if those pigs who dragged a black man behind their pick-up in Texas a few years back had had racist comments they made in their life reacted to negatively they'd have been unchanged?

Are you telling me 'cripple' or 'nigger' became unacceptable terms because one day everyone woke up enlightened, or because bigots are really not that brave and learned to keep their mouths shut as they didn't like the reaction they got using those terms?

Maybe they just stopped SAYING it, and maybe it'll take a few generations more for all their offspring to stop thinking it, but at least it moves in the right direction and isn't just shrugging and saying 'don't effect me or mine, why should I bother'?

• snowbird
    snowbird

As I've said before, I moved to Georgia when I was still in school. I was shocked when I was in a mostly black high school about some of the things I saw. I learned that if one of the black kids was doing good in school and applying themselves, the other black kids would accuse them of "trying to be white". If one of the black kids got good grades and spoke properly, they were considered to be "sellouts" or "oreos". I find it disturbing that many white people act shocked when a black person does well in academics, but I find it equally disturbing that other black people treat them as "sellouts" for doing good; that somehow they've abandoned their culture or heritage by becomming a success. HOW STUPID IS THIS???? Society has a long way to go to stop that kind of stuff from happening. It all starts at home with parents. I drill it into my daughter's head every day that she needs to do good in school, so that way when she grows up she can do whatever she wants, go wherever she wants, have whatever she wants and be whatever she wants.

Never has anyone spoken or written a more truer statement. This should be framed and placed on every parent's nightstand. That's the point I was trying to make. Parents, teachers, and other public figures should feel a sense of moral and community responsibility toward ALL.

There is simply no excuse for Bill O'Reilly's making such a statement.

As to the "blisters" expression I used, that is a Southern term to refer to anyone who grates on our nerves. White or Black.

Sylvia

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    One of the first things they said was "My, she speaks so well! She doesn't sound black!" I know that they were trying to be nice, but I just had to tell them how damn stupid that sounded.

Got the same questions and comments from my husband's friends when we first got married. They thought I was either white or asian.

As I've said before, I moved to Georgia when I was still in school. I was shocked when I was in a mostly black high school about some of the things I saw. I learned that if one of the black kids was doing good in school and applying themselves, the other black kids would accuse them of "trying to be white". If one of the black kids got good grades and spoke properly, they were considered to be "sellouts" or "oreos". I find it disturbing that many white people act shocked when a black person does well in academics, but I find it equally disturbing that other black people treat them as "sellouts" for doing good; that somehow they've abandoned their culture or heritage by becomming a success. HOW STUPID IS THIS????

It's very stupid and so sad that it still goes on to this day. I've had my unfair share of being called an "oreo" and looked down upon by other black kids just because of my speech and my love of reading. I don't get it.

Josie

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Wow! There have been some really intelligent and articulate replies from the black folks here. Not one of you has started a riot. Great stuff!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit