Bill O'Reilly- Restaurant was nice, ''even though it's run by blacks''

by nvrgnbk 76 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

SEPTEMBER 26, 2007 by Faiz Shakir, Amanda Terkel, Satyam Khanna,
    Matt Corley, Ali Frick, and Jeremy Richmond/DIV> O'REILLY SURPRISED RESTAURANT WAS NICE, 'EVEN THOUGH IT'S RUN BY BLACKS': Fox News' Bill O'Reilly recently dined with the Rev. Al Sharpton at Sylvia's, a famous African-American-owned restaurant in Harlem. Afterwards, on his radio show, O'Reilly reported that he "had a great time, and all the people up there are tremendously respectful," adding, "I couldn't get over the fact that there was no difference between Sylvia's restaurant and any other restaurant in New York City. I mean, it was exactly the same, even though it's run by blacks, primarily black patronship." O'Reilly added, "there wasn't any kind of craziness at all," and noted that "there wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M-Fer, I want more iced tea!'" The remarks have stirred controversy, with some television anchors leaping to defend O'Reilly's comments. CNN anchor Rick Sanchez downplayed the severity of O'Reilly’s remarks: "But just how big a deal is this? … What's wrong with a white guy making social commentary about other people's race, which is what he seems to be doing here?" Station WABC interviewed Sylvia's patrons about O'Reilly’s remarks. Said one customer: "I'm concerned that people are still in that type of mindset." Last night, O'Reilly attacked CNN for even discussing his remarks.

• watson
    watson

Context, my dear NVR, context.....

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    Context, my dear NVR, context.....

Go on, my dear watson, I'm listening.

Was O'Reilly taken out of context?

• NotaNess
    NotaNess
    "I'm concerned that people are still in that type of mindset."

The mindset that he gave a great compliment to the restaurant and owners??? Totally comments taken out of context. The guy's in an extreme interrogative spotlight every minute he breaths, he wouldn't bring the negative attention on himself like that.

My Opinion

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I've looked at this more closely and I still do not see where he was taken out of context.

• franzy
    franzy

well, it rather leaps off the page...

racism so ingrained that it's obvious even when
    he's trying to make nice. transparent.

• watson
    watson

The Radio Factor - Hour 2 - September 19, 2007

I guess you'd have to listen to what was actually said. CNN is going to take some criticism on this.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Deserves a big eye roll here.

BTW, I had dinner once at Sylvia's and loved it...would love to go there again sometime.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I think this comment from the Village Voice sums it up nicely...

That's hilarious.
    "Wow, those darkies are like regular white folk! They use napkins and everything!"

This is up there with Duyba's question to the President of Brazil - "You guys got blacks in Brazil, too?"

Could these neo-cons be anymore MFing embarrassing to this nation?

Posted by: StreetSpirit at September 25, 2007 11:24 AM

How's this for context?

From the February 5 edition of Fox News' The O'Reilly Factor:

O'REILLY: I got to tell you, I got to tell you, President Bush is as surprised as I am that, when he said Senator Obama is articulate -- that was taken in a derogatory way.

I know the man, and I know -- I could see his delivery with [Fox News host Neil] Cavuto. There was no condescension.

Listen, I know what you're saying and I agree. There's a lot of condescension in the white establishment community toward black people in this country. It's true. It's true. And if he were to say, "Well, he's pretty articulate. Wow, I'm stunned," then you'd be right.

But you know, what's happening, and this -- let's strip it all away -- this is the "No Spin Zone."

HILL: Yeah, absolutely, I'm doing my best not to spin it --

O'REILLY: Instead of black and white Americans coming together, white Americans are terrified. They're terrified. Now we can't even say you're articulate? We can't even give you guys compliments because they may be taken as condescension?

HILL: But part of that -- Bill, part of that terror -- part of that terror comes from having to seriously confront issues of race and perhaps even racism. The fact of the matter is, we live in a world where black intelligence is called into question even at the highest levels.

So when someone like Barack Obama -- when it becomes noteworthy that he's able to clearly express his ideas, that is cause for people, particularly white people, to reassess the way they view not just Barack Obama but the larger masses of black people against which he is being compared.

O'REILLY: Yeah, well -- but you're generalizing. Do you know how often my intelligence is called into question, Doctor?

HILL: Oh, absolutely, but you're -- absolutely. And I can't imagine why.

O'REILLY: You know -- I mean, do I -- do I think --

HILL: I can't imagine why, Bill.

O'REILLY: Right. Come on!

HILL: But the difference is -- but the difference is your -- Bill, the difference is your intelligence does not have any bearing upon the way other whites are seen.

O'REILLY: Oh, I don't know about that.

HILL: Unfortunately, black intelligence is connected -- oh, absolutely. Bill, when I watch you on television, I don't say that all white people are condescending or all white people are uncivil or all white people talk over people. Not to say that you do those things. That's just an example.

But my point is with someone like Barack Obama, he represents something bigger than himself, and so when -- and it's not just Barack Obama. Every day, black people who have achieved certain levels of education or [inaudible], are often called articulate.

• watson
    watson

I'm sure that Bill, like the rest of us has his prejudice. But I think that the CNN thing is going to be fun to watch.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit