Going under the knife tomorrow morning :S

by Elsewhere 93 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm not a big fan of surgery. I always exhaust all non-surgical options before doing it. I know enough about medicine to know that surgery is effectively a controlled injury... and that makes me nervous.

The surgery will be to correct a deviated septum (Septoplasty ) and to open my nasal airway so I can breath more easily (Turbinate Reduction). Right now I need a CPAP device to help me breath at night because my nose basically goes into "lock down" mode when I lie down.

The Dr will have to break my nose, do some tissue cutting and sewing, and then re-set my nose in order to fix my deviated septum... then he will start on my Turbinates... he'll have to cut them open, hollow them out, and then sew them back together again.

The only up-side is that I have a medicine cabinet full of pretty little pills to help me through the recovery.

Two of my co-workers were kind enough to offer to drive me to and from the hospital. One will drop me off and later in the day the other will pick me up. They don't express it much, but I can tell they are aghast at how my family shuns me because I chose not to be a JW. I really do appreciate them stepping up to help me out.

I'm not sure how bad the recovery will be, but the Dr said it will take 7 - 10 days. I will keep everyone up-to-date when I'm up to it.

-Else

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Good luck Elsewhere!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Ouch! Hope they fix it and you get well!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Best of luck and I hope all goes well

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good luck. Doesn't sound like fun. Will you be awake or sleeping during all this cutting and pasting?

S

• heathen
    heathen

Doesn't sound too bad . beats what dad went thru having his prostate and bladder removed .................. BTW he's doing fine

• exwitless
    exwitless

Oh, I feel for you. Little Drummer Boy had that exact surgery several years ago. He felt pretty lousy for the first several days; had to change his dressing under his nose a few times a day, etc. But when he went to get his packing removed around day 4 or 5, he breathed for the first time through cleaned out sinuses and a straight septum. He said his nose felt like a wind tunnel, he almost felt dizzy from being able to breathe so well! It was definitely worth it for him, because he had chronic sinus infections, pain, ear problems, etc. Since his surgery, he's maybe had one or two infections. Amazing difference.

I hope you have someone who can be with you at least for the first day or two. You are really going to need someone to help you out. Please keep us posted. PM me if you want to know anything else.

• mouthy
    mouthy

"LOrd please direct the DR hands in this case take care of our friend.-Let him heal quickly -in Jesus name Amen"

Put the stones down you atheists. This is MY Brother

• HAL9000
    HAL9000

Elsewhere,

Hope this goes well for you - I had it done 2 years back with good results and a fast recovery (the worst part was having the packing taken out the next day - more unpleasant than painful though).

But I do agree - operations feel like a controlled injury.

Take care,

h9k

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Thanks everyone.

The surgery will be under general anesthesia.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit