Visit From The Elders

by Lloyd Braun 27 Replies latest jw friends

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

If the meeting is just at the MS it is not too important. Possibly a "you are not doing as much as before, how can we encourage you?" Just don't say anything. Say you are fine, a bit lazy, sick whatever. They can not do anything to a fader, provided you do not say anything.

If they do ask directly whether you believe the WTS is Gods organization you evade the answer if lieing to an organization of lies bothers you. Maybe say:

"Things are fine, like everyone my faith goes up and down, but I just shelve any doubts and wait on Jehovah."

They will love that answer and probably start saying how they get a bit down as well, but there is no where else to go and how great it is being a JW, and how good your attitude is.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

What do you guys think if I just lie to both questions, and answer accordingly so that I tell them what they want to hear?

I would never have thought that the second question could even be worded as such. The first question is the big one though, admittedly. I think I am tired of lies enough already.

Another possiblity? What if I just refuse to answer the questions? Will they see that as non compliance and still drum up a committee?

You are free to answer anyway you want.

Refusing is good. I (if I ever actually met with them, because I would just say NO, Thank You.) would try
    "I am here to get your help, not to be grilled or tricked into saying something."

The refusal could only get a committee if they decide that some action on your part is judicial. While I can
    confidently say that refusal by itself is not that action, one never knows what story they would agree on.
    "We asked if he believes the Society is God's representative and he said NO." That could be done, but you
    could appeal it, because they are mistaken. Unfortunately, the appeal committe might just uphold it. This is
    all very unlikely, but you should know.

• ronin1
    ronin1

Tell them you do not meeting in clandestine meetings in back rooms of KH's or front rooms, etc. (The elders gave my husband a note one time during the meeting to tell him they wanted to meet with me after the meeting was over. I let them know I do not meet in back rooms anywhere. That ended that request).

Tell them when you feel you need an encouraging shepherding call, you will let them know and give them a call to visit you at home.

Simple as that. They cannot make you meet with them.

Ronin1

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Ronin is right. If you do decide to meet, ALWAYS ALWAYS meet somewhere where you can walk away
    at any time. Be easily offended to get out of further discussion. If you don't have the stomach for that, then
    get sick very easily.

"Will you promise to work with me in service this weekend?"

"Well, oh- I have an emergency. I need to run to the bathroom" (already standing and don't stop to listen.)
    When you come back, "Brothers, I better go home. I am having a reaction to something I ate. NO- Sorry,
    I gotta leave now before another episode. Really, goodbye."

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

Thank you all for this information.

Ronin, I think I will take your advice as the best possible solution, and the others who suggested similar. I didn't even think of just ignoring their authority all together on that matter, and simply not meeting. We'll see how that goes. This cong is pretty prude in most matters. Most of the members are old fashioned and older.

I'll let everyone know what happens tomorrow night.

Thanks again everyone. You have been a great help, all of you.

Blessings,

Matt

• tula
    tula

2) " Even if something is wrong, are you willing to wait for Jehovah to correct his organization?"

would they REALLY ask it like that?

If so, why not answer a question with a question?

Wrong? what do you mean by wrong? (use clinton-ese) How do you define 'wrong'? I would wait for an answer or continually hound them throwing their words back at them until they give you something.

• hilannj
    hilannj

act offended that they could even think such a thing and then leave, this way you are not exactly telling a lie..

• sparrow
    sparrow

I say go - dressed in drag - and just say "I'm going through a strange stage in my life at the moment"

• yknot
    yknot

Lloyd

Lying? No sweety you wouldn't be lying to tell them what they want to hear.

It is called "Theocratic Warfare"

Rutherford states in the book "RICHES" by J F Rutherford ( you can view it on google books limited preview but page 177 is available. Here is what he good Judge tells us:

"A lie is a false statement made by one to another one who is entitled to hear and to know the truth, and which false statement tends to work injury to the other. A false statement made for the purpose of deceiving and working injury to another is a deliberate and malicious lie. (Rutherford, 1936, p. 177)"

and again

"Lying generally involves saying something false to a person who is entitled to know the truth ... While malicious lying is definitely condemned in the Bible, this does not mean that a person is under obligation to divulge truthful information to people who are not entitled to it." (Aid to Bible Understanding Book, 1971 Edition, Pages 1060-1061)

So the question for you is are the Elders "ENTITLED" to hear and know the truth? So would you be telling them a false statement for the purpose of deceiving AND working injury? Is there something to gain over them by a false statement. NOT, you just wanna keep your life together until you decide (not them) to change it. So this would be self preservation.

Use Theocratic War Strategy ... A WITNESS of Jehovah was going from house to house in Eastern Germany when she met a violent opposer. Knowing at once what to expect she changed her red blouse for a green one in the very next hallway. No sooner had she appeared on the street than a Communist officer asked her if she had seen a woman with a red blouse. No, she replied, and went on her way. Did she tell a lie? No, she did not. She was not a liar. Rather, she was using theocratic war strategy, hiding the truth by action and word for the sake of the ministry. In this she had good Scriptural precedent. Did not Rahab hide the Israelite spies by both action and word? Did not Abraham, Isaac, David and others likewise hide the truth at times when faced with a hostile enemy? They certainly did, and never do we read a word of censure for their doing so. Rather, we read of their being termed exemplary servants of Jehovah. Their actions were in line with Jesus' wise counsel: "Look! I am sending you forth as sheep amidst wolves; therefore prove yourselves cautious as serpents and yet innocent as doves."-Matt. 10:16 ... At times [a Jehovah's Witness who takes the witness stand in court] may prefer to refuse to speak and suffer the consequences rather than betray his brothers or the interests of God's work. ... hiding the truth, which he is not entitled to know, from an enemy does not harm him ... So in time of spiritual warfare it is proper to misdirect the enemy by hiding the truth. It is done unselfishly; it does not harm anyone; on the contrary, it does much good. ... Today God's servants are engaged in a warfare, a spiritual, theocratic warfare, a warfare ordered by God against wicked spirit forces and against false teachings. God's servants are sent forth as sheep among wolves and therefore need to exercise the extreme caution of serpents so as to protect properly the interests of God's kingdo m c ommitted to them. At all times they must be very careful not to divulge any information to the enemy that he could use to hamper the preaching work." (Quotes from The Watchtower, May 1st 1957 Issue, Page 285)

Finally you can look at it this way. Satan has infiltrated the WTBS and you are merely trying to preserve yourself for future use by Jehovah!

Y

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

My opinion is to buy time - one day you may decide that you absolutely can't do this anymore, but if that hasn't happened and you don't think you've set yourself up in a way that you'll be able to handle the fallout... just be calm. You know what they want to hear. Be humble, kind, grateful for their assistance.

'I am a bit confused, but through it all I know that I have had Jehovahs support and that I can always count on him in prayer. It's been difficult and it has made me quite depressed but I know that I will get through it. Thank you so much for your concern... '

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit