Visit From The Elders

by Lloyd Braun 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I don't know your situation, but I think there are many positive aspects to a "clean break" (whether in the form of disassociation, a straightforward "JC hearing" or simply stopping the communication) -- for those who can emotionally afford it, of course.
    Saves time (years perhaps), good for your self-respect, may even start some people thinking.

Of course it's a strange feeling when the prospect closes in. After I was summoned to a JC I broke down (even though I had been expecting it for months). But one week later it was over for good, and I never had to regret it.

Good luck whatever you do.

• WT=watchtrouble
    WT=watchtrouble

Matt, tell em to get stuffed. Just kidding.

Hope all goes well with this! Have one of these prior to meeting

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I think this is a good time to pull a no show. Let them waste the gas to assemble, and find you not there. And keep them waiting. And waiting. And waiting. The worst that can happen is that they will disfellowship you behind your back; if you show up, they can harass you, intimidate you, and still disfellowship you. And worse yet (especially if you are single), they might have someone that wants to recapture you "in the name of saving your life". That would mean 24/7 supervision to make sure you are going in service all the time, saying exactly what you are "supposed" to, and going to meetings.

If you don't show up, you are limiting their options. They can reschedule, call to hound you after, or disfellowship you behind your back. I think that is the best bet, especially if you are single. And make things as difficult as possible if they try to reschedule--no matter when, it is not a good time. Of course, if things look unavoidable and you wish to avoid the harassment of a kangaroo court, the option of disassociation is open. Or, if you are willing to go to the meeting, prepare with a digital recorder and let them know ahead of time that the meeting will be recorded and posted on YouTube, and if they don't like it, then they do not have your permission to hold the meeting.

• inbyathread
    inbyathread

After they have asked those questions, act surprised and ask them if there is anything that would warrant that question being asked. Before they get a chance to answer, quickly state that Jehovah and Jesus would never ask such a thing, they would never charge someone without having proper evidence, but then Jesus does have the authority to judge. This authority to judge was never given to any man which includes the elders. Then walk away.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Does seem strange that you get this call within such a short time after posting here. I have no idea how a person could be tracked down from posting here anonymously. Is there anything else going on that could have triggered it? Did you speak to anyone that might have dropped the dime on you?

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

Maybe just my father. I don't think he would say anything though, since he too is on his way out. Unless of course he has been deceiving me all along. It's a strange time.

• Metamorphosis
    Metamorphosis

I agree with simply not meeting with them. That has been my approach and there is not much they can do about it. They have no authority over us in reality other than what we give them. Unless you give them some real reason to disfellowhip you w/o a meeting - they just have to let it go. Not meeting with them is not enough to be expelled. I just say I don't have anything I need to discuss with them at the moment, but thanks for their concern.

Morph

• jeanne40love
    jeanne40love

Not sure why the "brothers" want to meet with you.

I wish I had taken my father's advice many, many, many years ago. to quote him " people get information on a need to know basis" it's up to you what you tell them. You are not obliged to anyone human being. Didn't Jesus say "confess your sins to no man" right? .

Peace,

Jeanne

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit