Visit From The Elders

by Lloyd Braun 27 Replies latest jw friends

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

"Well, are we stopped?" (Dark Helmet) ... "We're stopped sir" (Colonel Sanders) - Spaceballs 1987

The inevitible and imminent visit that I had hoped was going to be quite a bit further down the road from now has just occurred. I am growing paranoid while at the same time welcoming this. It is a most strange feeling. But now the elders have called me at home and want to have a discussion tomorrow night at the MS. It could be something simple, of course it could be what I really don't want to hear.

Confused and seeking more guidance...

I am also curious, is there any way for them to know that I am visiting this web site?

Matt

• Kudra
    Kudra

Don't go!

Evade evade evade!

If they were really concerned and not trying to organize a kangaroo court they'd drop by like friends. This smells of "organization" and they want to pin you down to admitting something or other.

Also, just don't use your real name here and put your location as somewhere like Uzbekistan. I think some folks have gotten found out here. But I'd say it is a real slim chance at any rate.

Just weasel out of it and they will soon tire of it...

-K

• Spectre
    Spectre

I highly doubt it with 19 posts. Welcome, by the way.

• changeling
    changeling

Avoid it if you can. If you go, admit to nothing and "play nice".

changeling

• t33ap80c
    t33ap80c

Hi Lloyd,

The usual bottom-line 'counsel' that elders tend to eventually get to are the following two questions:

1) "Do you believe the Society is Jehovah's organization?"

2) "Even if something is wrong, are you willing to wait for Jehovah to correct his organization?"

Unfortunately a "No" answer to either question usually leads to an invitation to a Committee Meeting.

As far as the first question is concerned, I got away with, "I'm not sure" for a while.

You might want to think about how you will answer these questions before they are asked.

Don Cameron

• Lloyd Braun
    Lloyd Braun

1) "Do you believe the Society is Jehovah's organization?"

2) " Even if something is wrong, are you willing to wait for Jehovah to correct his organization?"

What do you guys think if I just lie to both questions, and answer accordingly so that I tell them what they want to hear?

I would never have thought that the second question could even be worded as such. The first question is the big one though, admittedly. I think I am tired of lies enough already.

Another possiblity? What if I just refuse to answer the questions? Will they see that as non compliance and still drum up a committee?

Thank you all for your kind responses though. I was thinking that I did provide a little too much information about myself though. My age and place of residence is factual. Or is it?

Matt

• Gopher
    Gopher

Hi Matt,

It's possible that someone found you out based on name, age and location which you have posted here. However, it's not likely since you've only been here two days. Probably the timing of the elders' inquiry is just coincidental with your joining this board.

So, the helpfulness of any advice offered here depends on what you want to do. Do you have a clear definition of if when you want to leave the JW's -- is it now, or later? If the answer is "later" -- what benefits will you derive from staying? Is it hopes of keeping friendships? Is it realistic to expect that all your current JW friends will stay that way when you become totally disengaged from the organization? Or even some of those friends? Would their friendship be conditioned on you staying loyal to the organization, and if so is such friendship worth the effort?

• LtCmd.Lore
    LtCmd.Lore
    What do you guys think if I just lie to both questions, and answer accordingly so that I tell them what they want to hear?

Sure, go ahead. No reason to mess up your life simply to avoid lying to a book publishing company.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    What if I just refuse to answer the questions? Will they see that as non compliance and still drum up a committee?

I believe that would be giving them ammunition to use against you. If you have intentions of meeting with them, just tell them what they want to hear.

If you don't want to meet with them .... skip the meeting, and apologise profusely for missing it if they call again. After this, tell them YOU will call them to arrange a convenient time. Of course they'll be stuck waiting for that fateful call ...

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Try to put them off for as long as possible. I delayed my meeting for about 5 months once. I told them I was traveling etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit