oj simpsons bail sentence

by BR25 83 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I`ve got no use for O.J.Simpson..He got away with murder.....I`m laughing about the Ribs and Watermelon though..Not because I want to offend anyone..But..Because thats what I had for Dinner last night..LOL!!..I`m curious as to why the mention of ribs and watermelon is offensive?..I`m Canadian and thats a perfectly nice light dinner if you live in the desert like I do..Sometimes it`s too dam hot to eat a heavy meal...OUTLAW

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Shouldn't "fried chicken and watermelon" be more offensive?

• rebel8
    rebel8

I *think* it's considered offensive because it's food the slaves used to eat -- it was cheap and regarded as unfit for whites.

Edited to add: OK they told us that in social work school so who knows if it's true. They were always making up extreme stuff. Went to Wiki and a few other sites, which say the watermelon thing originated from a series of racist cartoons in the 1940s or so.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

so maybe "chittilings" would have been better to use

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mrs.Jones/Josie..Chicken and some fresh watermelon sound pretty good..What is it with,being insulted by food?..Is some food an insult where you live?..I`m a Chef and I don`t understand any of this...OUTLAW

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez
    I *think* it's considered offensive because it's food the slaves used to eat -- it was cheap and regarded as unfit for whites.

I've never heard that. The only reason I alluded to it was because my black friends love it.

Oh but wait, I'm a bigoted racist, I forgot.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

This is why it's offensive to some black folks...because of the racist images of black folks that were very common not too long ago...

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Mrs.Jones/Josie..Thank you..The truth is,I still don`t quite understand..I know Black People have been treated horribly.When I learn some of the things that happened,it disgusts me..But..I don`t understand what the food connection is...OUTLAW

• Clam
    Clam

Good point Outlaw but food does seem to be used as an insult. In Europe the French call us English, "Roastbeefs", we call them Frogs cooz they eat frogs legs, the Germans get called sausage eaters, the Scots get called porridge noshers etc etc.

Clam

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Deaconbluz = back-peddling like crazy....I love you man! peace, and sorry, we are cool!, sorry for the fuss but at the begging of this thread "the Boys" were taking this down the wrong path. Everything is fine now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit