oj simpsons bail sentence

by BR25 83 Replies latest jw friends

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Clam..So..A particular food..When mentioned with a race or nationality..Is an insult in some countrys.....JWD is a wealth of international information....Thanks Clam and Mrs.Jones!...OUTLAW

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

[Explanation of how watermelons came to be a racist motif will be saved for a more productive thread than this one]

• snowbird
    snowbird
    And during the "nadir of race relations" (1890-1920), black stereotypes were a defining characteristic in white popular culture.

I think it is no coincidence that lynching of Blacks by Whites increased during this period. Read any literature from this period and you will see that most Whites viewed Blacks (especially men) as lazy, shiftless, immoral, drunken brutes who were not fit to live.

Sylvia

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

Everyday I wake up in the morning, take my shower, brush my teeth and put on my clothes behind closed doors. I kiss my girlfriend and I go out into the world. All of the moments before this I get to be just Dominick. I work really hard at being just Dominick. Every day someone reminds me that I'm black at least once. I hate it. Not because I mind the color of my skin but because of the sterotypical group that this lumps me in and the predispositions of people that see my skin color first and me second. I work really hard in my industry to single myself out as a hard worker and not as the token black guy. There aren't a lot of us in IT and really? I don't look the part. Proving myself professionally I have no problem with. Proving myself as a human I do. I have to wait all day long to get home so I can just be Dominick again. This entire thread hurts to my fucking core. I can't believe that I come on this site and walk on eggshells because of things and past posters that are "taboo" to discuss, but this fucking bullshit is allowed? People can come here and make a thread 3 pages long of racist comments adn this fucking bullshit stands without a lock or a comment from a moderator? I am appalled. I am now ashamed to lurk here and ashamed to post here. This place started off as a haven of information and acceptance for me. It's been ruined for me.

Posting Guidelines
    To ensure all users feel safe and keen to participate, please avoid:

1. Insulting, threatening or provoking language
    2. Inciting hatred on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality or sexuality or other personal characteristic.
    3. Swearing, using hate-speech or making obscene or vulgar comments

Interesting.

edited to expound on my feelings

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

BTW, I hope it is understood that the purpose of my post is to explain how racist the watermelon stereotype is (for those who don't understand). I will gladly remove the illustrations and quotes if they are counterproductive, perhaps this is not the best thread to discuss the history of racism in.

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

no leo. i appreciated your post and your pictures and explanations. i feel that they were appropriate. i always appreciate your scholars perspective

• BFD
    BFD

I am sorry you feel so hurt by this Dominick, I certainly understand. I can't figure out why the mods didn't step in on page 1. I was waiting to see the lock all day but it never happened. I think things more or less were under control at one point but the thread quickly disintergrated again. I don't get it.

Leo your posts are educational.

BFD

• snowbird
    snowbird

There is no need to remove anything, imo. Those were facts presented in response to Outlaw's confusion over the watermelon and ribs remarks. These facts should have been included in classroom history lessons so that everyone would be aware of them.

The harsh truth is that Black people have been stereotyped. Period. Even Russell and Rutherford bought into it. There's no getting around this no matter how angry it makes us.

Sylvia

• coolhandluke
    coolhandluke

The issue for me is not that black people or asians or mexicans have been stereotyped. I like a good racist joke like anyone. Its the context in which statements and jokes are told. I have no problem laughing at myself. It is the twinges of truth and the nuggets of racism that I hear in peoples comments or voice intonations. It is the fact that it isn't a "have been sterotyped" its that in 2007 they "are" stereotyped. That pisses me off.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Witness 007 - that was a honest apology. Thank you for doing that, it's best not to stoop to others level of ignorance!

nj

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit