• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    I cited my source AO!

Acknowledged.

I'll call off the legal team !
  • serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Sad Emo:

absolutely everything was gone by that point in my life.

It seems to me that's the perfect time to need some hope to carry on. I think I'd be right in saying more people 'find God' when they are low than when they feel on top of the world.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

That's sad, emo. I don't believe one has to prove anything to have faith. I also don't believe that anyone here or anywhere else has even the slightest clue just what God is. I don't either, but I do have faith, no matter what you or my JW firend says to me.

It's also a clear fact that people with faith have a longer and healthier life. Sounds like free health care to me. But I do understand about evidence of evolution. I cannot argue that point at all. Physical and dna evidence is undeniable.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    It seems to me that's the perfect time to need some hope to carry on. I think I'd be right in saying more people 'find God' when they are low than when they feel on top of the world.

I'll agree with that.

It seems that when we are very low, when we mourn (for things or people), when we grieve - these are the times that we are exposed and raw. Our notions of "self" drop away and we no longer TRY to do all those everyday things that we believe make "us" us.

All pretence is gone, because it seems so petty. We no longer care about living up to our self-crafted image, we just ARE.

When we are low, we shut out all the clutter of our lives, all the noise, all the obligations, we just lie there helpless.

It is then that we are able to hear the whisper that has been speaking to us all along.
    Then, knowing the sound of the whisper, we find it easier to hear again, when we have rebuilt ourselves.

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I think I'd be right in saying more people 'find God' when they are low than when they feel on top of the world.

Maybe that's when they "hear and see" him the best. Perhaps it's Love telling you to listen....what you're going through is okay. You will get through it because it's just an experience, but go within and find Him and listen.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'm pretty sure the Christian experience is an emotional one not an intellectual one. It goes against the wisdom of keeping I/E Intelligence over emotion.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Maybe that's when they "hear and see" him the best. Perhaps it's Love telling you to listen....what you're going through is okay. You will get through it because it's just an experience, but go within and find Him and listen.

Journey-On...

Looks like we said the same thing at the same time

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

You may be right sero - although I don't believe that was so in my case. I truly was done with everything - God included.

Is it possible perhaps when there is nothing else (me, my wants, my desires, my ideas etc) getting in the way is the time when God can best get our undivided attention?

"He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and exist, as even some of your own poets have said, 'For we also are His children.'"

Acts 17:27b-28, NASB

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

Maybe I'm just not cut out for it then. I've felt extremely low in the past, and I never once thought there was a higher power. I knew that I would need real solutions, real help from real people. It's like when people pray to God if a relative is in a serious condition in hospital. If they get better, they believe God was with them. But they forget about the doctors and nurses who did the real help. I've just never understood it. Who they help to recovery is completely random- Muslims, Hindus, Christians, atheists, etc. Same with when people are at a low point. Sometimes something will come along- a friend may come round just before they commit suicide say, but other people go through with it and kill themselves. It seems like pure coincidence to me who God helps and doesn't help.

Is it possible perhaps when there is nothing else (me, my wants, my desires, my ideas etc) getting in the way is the time when God can best get our undivided attention?

If someone has nothing, maybe then they want to think there's another life after this one, or the chance to see dead relatives, or they want to know they have a friend who will always be there. It seems to me like a desire to believe in a better life when the one you have has hit rock bottom.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit