Do you really want to save us?

by nvrgnbk 77 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

Serotonin W, you said:

I feel I act better

It's not about how you act. It's about the inner person and the heart. I'm not saying you're not a good person in your heart; I know you are, but reading many of your posts, you seem to me to want the experience just given to you because you think you deserve it. Maybe if you want such an experience that badly, you should look within and see why it's not happening for you. Perhaps you really don't want it because then you would have to completely change those beliefs you cling to so vociferously and have come to feel so comfortable with. You've let that define who you are and it would be most uncomfortable to change yourself.

• Awakened07
    Awakened07
    serotonin_wraith: I'll answer this, because you need to learn that there is no proof you can offer to show a god exists. [...] Your other points can be picked apart too, but there's no need as I've already answered the first one.

- I see I've made a big impression on this forum, to the point that everyone now knows I'm a full blown born-again Christian...

Not so strange, since I always praise Jesus in all my posts. This one being no exception, of course.

Oh - science can't disprove my faith by the way, 'cause what I believe is the absolute Truth. So there.

• 4digitcode
    4digitcode

to ninja before being a witness i believed...while a witnes i started to doubt....now that i'm out i'm almost an atheist.

The JWs need to have an answer for everything to the point that things become sterile. when i think about god now it hurts. when i think he may not exist i feel relieved. that means there is a reason why all these bad things are happening. The justification of his name doctrine is bs to me. if he is GOD and he is LOVING he doesn't need to do that.

it's hard for me now that i was deceived by the JWs to put my faith in anything else that regards god. by dfing me brothers have allowed me for the first time in my life to be on my own and use logic and reasoning.

1) that has led me to believe that the creator which calls himself the personification of love cannot allow the evil things that are happening everyday on this planet.And therefore most likely does not exist.

2)evolution, the disbelief in life after death,etc are a logical way for me to back up this new line of thinking.

• serotonin_wraith
    serotonin_wraith

J-O-

I should clarify that I am open to change, just that I have no reason to start believing in a big invisible man or some kind of Star Wars force in the universe. I can't just make myself believe based on wishful thinking, I see that as a very dishonest way to live. I need to have some reason first. I'm a critical thinker.

Were you looking for your personal experience before it happened? If you were, you may have ended up seeing what you wanted to see. I know I wouldn't be impartial if I was wanting to find a higher spiritual being- I'd start believing for the flimsiest of reasons. That's why I asked in another thread recently about spirituality, I don't see it as anything 'more' than things that can be explained by physical means. So I am open to it, but at the moment I feel I'd be turning off my brain if I were to accept it now.

Awakened07- You sure tricked me, then! Probably because I've actually heard arguments like the one you posted from sincere believers. We need something under the avatars to show what we believe, there's too many names to remember. Sorry I didn't remember your real beliefs.

• worldtraveller
    worldtraveller

I don't get it. Why can you believe in evolution, and not believe in God, or at least have faith. Even the Pope is reconsidering this issue. Am I alone on this?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Okay, lemme get this straight ...

... in computer programming terms the equation looks like this "If TrueBorn-AgainChristian != Unorthodox Then Poster==CanAnswer Else Poster==CannotAnswer"

That is, if I am a true, born-again Christian who is NOT unorthodox then I can answer. My would be that true born-again Christians follow the footsteps of a very unorthodox man. Teachings involving rebirth and/or renewal as a path toward enlightenment is not unique to Christianity, but those who advocate such things are not usually orthodox.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

serotonin_wraith:

I am open to change, just that I have no reason to start believing in a big invisible man or some kind of Star Wars force in the universe. I can't just make myself believe based on wishful thinking, I see that as a very dishonest way to live. I need to have some reason first.

Maybe it might improve things if you stop seeing God how you imagine Him to be. But you're absolutely right not to force yourself to believe in God either - that would be mere dead religious practice. As Journey-on said, its a heart attitude thing, and I in my unorthodox Christian mind believe that there are a lot more 'Christians' out there than actually realise it!

Gonna pinch AO's line now - so there was this Pharisee and tax collector went to pray... (some lateral thinking required!)

Also, I know you asked the question of Journey-on, but I'll say of my own experience that I most definitely was not looking for it - absolutely everything was gone by that point in my life.

worldtraveller:

I don't get it. Why can you believe in evolution, and not believe in God, or at least have faith.

Is this for real?! There is currently more hard scientific proof for evolution than for God. Evolution cannot be connected to God's existence (although I personally believe He was behind it!).

• snowbird
    snowbird

I've heard some allude to personal experiences that have deeply affected them and strengthened their faith.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Nvr, I learned to read at an early age and our worn KJV Bible was a favorite. I read the Gospel accounts of Jesus and grew to love Him. NOBODY won me over for Jesus; it was Jesus Himself who did it.

I grew disillusioned with the Baptist church over the hellfire teaching and turned to the JW's. I accepted their flawed version of the Person of Jesus because they convinced me they had all the right answers. I subsequently found out that the entire JW belief system is based on various man-made end-times speculations. What was I to do?

The first thing I decided to do was search out that Friend of my youth in order to get better acquainted with Him. How was I to do that? Why, go to Him in prayer and let Him know of my desire to walk with Him again. I did just that.

I was inspired to read the entire Gospel of John again for the first time in several translations. What an eye-opener! I'd always wondered why the WTS gave the Fourth Gospel such a wide berth. Now I knew. The Gospel of John kicks their bummy and calls them Lummy!!!

Our Lord stated at John 6:37 that if anyone comes to Him, that person will not be rejected. I exhort you to do just that. Read the Gospel of John and allow the Holy Spirit to convince you. Hasn't the WTS taken enough from you? Do not allow them to win this round.

Peace and love on your journey,

Sylvia

• hmike
    hmike

I agree with Narkissos. If it comes across as "Come on, save me, I dare you!" or "Come on, knock me over with flawless logic and evidence!" or if it sounds like a sales contest, "Convince me in 60 seconds." it just doesn't work like that. There's plenty of information out there—you're aware of it. It really has more to do with the listener or reader (you're aware of the Parable of the Sower, aren't you?) Humility is the place to start.

• AlphaOmega
    AlphaOmega
    Gonna pinch AO's line now - so there was this Pharisee and tax collector went to pray... (some lateral thinking required!)

Ms Emo... you had me thinking for a moment... I had to dig through my post history...

Anyway, a Pharisee and a tax-collector walk into a Synagogue...

Well, after much care and consideration, I have decided that the two lines are close enough...

You WILL be hearing from my solicitor !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit