How Many Here Got Depressed Once You Realized It Wasn't The "Truth"?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

It didn't bother me perhaps because I hadn't been active in the JW organisation for long and didn't invest much in it. In fact I was pleased to get to know the truth about the so called truth because I wouldn't be at risk of investing more in it or bringing into it other people.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Were you extremely saddened or in despair once you realized you'd been duped??? Having been raised a witnoid, I have always been sad and depressed. I dont know if thats the way they programed me or its genetic. I try to make the best of it. I left in 81 after being dissappointed about the lackluster Armegedon demonstration the society put on in 75. My sadness was accompanied by confusion trying to figure out what was going on. I came to realize that the wactower was not the only group of people who did not have answers to the big questions in life. After I realized I had been duped by the tower. I came to the realization that we are on our own here. God doesnt answer prayers. If its to be its up to me. Some times that realization causes despair, so far I have been trudging through it.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

I have been on medication ever since.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized the Truth was a load of crap. I had a very hard time believing that serving God was meant to be such a burden. Afterwards, it took some effort to "rewire" my brain, but I'm getting there.

• Mary
    Mary

I was absolutely devasted...........in shock........I cried........oh ya, I got depressed too.........It's something you never get over---or at least I don't think I will.

• tinker
    tinker

Depressed is one way of putting it but for me it was more Grief. My core relationships all died. Everything closest to me was gone. Like so many others, I questioned all the teachings for a long time so it was not finding out the 'Truf' is False but it was the lifestyle I lost. I do not miss the mind control of course but I do miss the schedual of knowing where I was supposed to be 5times a week. I miss looking for new outfits for the summer convention. I miss wearing DRESSES for gawd sake. I know that is crazy but very true for me. I do janitorial and house cleaning so there is really no occation to get dressed up. I miss organizing family get-togethers and goodies after the book study.

• Billzfan23
    Billzfan23

It was like someone took a pin to my balloon - as soon as I learned about Beth Sarim, 607 B.C.E bull-sh*t, failed doomsday prophecies, NGO crap, etc... I was pretty depressed - stepped down as an elder, became a raging apostate for a spell... I am much better now. haha..

• Dawn
    Dawn

Were you extremely saddened or in despair once you realized you'd been duped??? I wasn't depressed, instead I was was in sort of a "culture shock" so to speak and very scared. My entire belief system had been turned upside down. Did anyone here see Men In Black II - the ending, when Will Smith's character realizes that his entire universe is really existing inside of a small closet in another universe? It was like that - I thought "what the h_ll?!" It was scary at first to realize that no one had all the answers and I had to start all over trying to figure out what was the real "truth".

• fresia
    fresia
    It was scary at first to realize that no one had all the answers and I had to start all over trying to figure out what was the real "truth".

This is true for me also. But the biggest problem I have anger, I'm angry that for years we the b/s were made out to be these bad people in need of constant reasurrance of God's forgivness and better if we put in as many hours in field service as possible. We are so bad, and when I look at what the GB has done I feel like smashing their hypocritical heads of.

And I feel for all those I love family and friends in the org, and I wish I could help them, thats the only reason I'm around because of them.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I drink too much booze now...not good...trying to get back into shape.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit