How Many Here Got Depressed Once You Realized It Wasn't The "Truth"?

by minimus 38 Replies latest jw friends

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

Initially I was very disappointed and angry to have spent over half my life chasing a fantasy, and I wondered if I'd ever really get over it.

I never really got depressed about it though.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I didn't have any problems when I found out that it was a scam. What I did have problems with was the life they wanted me to live--running around from door to door all day, always going to meetings, being sequestered from the opposite sex, and the realization that the worst possible outcome would have been for it to be the truth and to make it in. That was what got to me--a lot more than the realization that it was a scam.

In fact, I intentionally looked for the apostate Web sites just to get out of the "new" order that I was headed for.

• Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit
    Pioneer Spit...oh, i mean Spirit

Even though we really quit attending out of disgust for the elders and some flock, when we starting reading Ray Franz' book and learned that everything we were taught as kids stemmed from conspiracy and the need to control the flock, it was sad, angering and dismaying, like the bottom fell out of the first 35 years of our lives, we had been robbed. Now we're just angry. Sad about out families, but truly angry.

(Great topic btw)

• eclipse
    eclipse

Shocked, Cried, Numb.

Felt empty.

Felt like screaming.

Then relief & happiness at realizing, ''I'm not crazy''.

My doubts were validated.

It felt good to let it all go.

Now I have some bitterness to contend with still, but overall, I feel calm and peace.

• bluebell
    bluebell

i was depressed while i was in. when i realised i had been in the "false" alot of my depression disappeared.

• minimus
    minimus

Nowadays I laugh more than anything else over how silly the religion is.

• dobbie
    dobbie

Minimus i find i can do that some days too, have a laugh at things about it.

I was more depressed as a witness, when i found out what a lie it was i was just angry and sad and felt stupid. I got depressed when the shunning started and still have days when that lot at the school upset me by their attitude. Other days i can laugh at it though and shrug my shoulders. But i feel a contentment that i never had as a witness, even when i first joined it.

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

Moment of truth 1992 surreal SEARING ANGUISH & AGONY to have to renouce the lifelong convictions of my heart it was all a blasphemous lie

• Quandry
    Quandry

extremely saddened or in despair

Couldn't wrap my head around it all for such a long time. Just sat at home for the longest time with the curtains drawn, numb.

I wanted so much to believe that the earth will be a beautiful paradise. Maybe it will be-or maybe we'll all go to heaven-or maybe there is nothing in our future......I thought I knew all the answers but now am just....saddened, in despair, bitter........but things slowly are getting better.

Thanks for asking.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit