Christmas Ideas & Projects!

by Sunspot 31 Replies latest jw friends

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

I'm into fairies. This will be my first tree in a long time and I am very excited about it.

Sooo... it will be covered with fairies, crystals and butterflies. Oh, and lots of tiny white lights.

I can't wait.

• TheSilence
  • Sunspot
    Sunspot

Thanks again Jackie----for the extra links you provided! I looked at them both and I may just be scrapping some of the projects I had aready mentally lined up, to make room for these blankets! What a terrific idea for gifts!!!

hugs,

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot
    It will likely cost you a thousand dollars for the tree and ornaments plus take the whole weekend to set up. But the end result could well be worth the project.

I am SO excited with all these novel ideas!!!

Thanks for the clues on Tree Decorating 101, WT Wizard!

I did happen to find some great values at the Dollar Store....and they didn't look cheezy either! You have to be careful of in maybe an entire box of 12 bulbs....one might have a flaw in it and this was why they weren't sold in a regular retail store....but they are well worth the savings when you are on a limited income or just buying ornaments for the first time!

hugs,

Annie

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    Thanks again Jackie----for the extra links you provided! I looked at them both and I may just be scrapping some of the projects I had aready mentally lined up, to make room for these blankets! What a terrific idea for gifts!!!

No problem at all. They are great gifts to give and easy to make -- both requirements for me ;)

I have one I sleep under... it's so soft and warm, I've refused to sleep under anything else since I got it.

Jackie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Scully! I loved the "special features" section of the Canadian magazine you posted. I found several things I really liked and bookmarked.

There was one on a "birch reindeer" that a neighbor has made that is quite similar. His stands about three feet tall and is so cute standing on his front porch every year. He (or his wife ) put a red scarf around the neck and it looks so festive!

Thanks so much for your contributions!!!

hugs,

Annie

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I'm into fairies. This will be my first tree in a long time and I am very excited about it.

Sooo... it will be covered with fairies, crystals and butterflies. Oh, and lots of tiny white lights.

I can't wait.

Awake and watching-----*I* can't wait EITHER!!! It sounds absolutely CHARMING!

I do hope you can take pictures and will post them so we can see it when you are finished decorating it.

I have developed an interest in the fairy creatures too, and have a long, LONG list of "things to look up someday" on how to make little homes, in the garden, etc. (Maybe we can swap PMs on the ideas on interesting stuff we found! )

Thank you so much for your post!

hugs,

Annie

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I am a xmas junkie, my favorite recipe by far is Cranberry Cheesecake:

3 Packages of Cream Cheese, Softened (I use two light, one regular to cut down on the fat)

3 Eggs

1 Cup of Sugar

1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract ( You can use peppermint extract as an alternative, I do, love it!)

1 Cup Washed, Blanched Cranberries

3 squares extra fine Bittersweet Dark Chocolate

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/3 cup of french peppermint leaves.

Graham Crust :

11/4 cups of Graham Crumbs

1/4 cup of Melted Butter

1/2 Teaspoon of Cinnamin

Prepare a springform pan, line sides with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 325 F.

Mix melted butter, graham crumbs and cinnamin and press into bottom of prepared pan, bake for 7 to 9 mins. Let cool.

Mix cream cheese, sugar and eggs until well blended .

Add vanilla and cranberries. Pour into pan.

Bake for one hour at 325 F in a bain marie. (water bath, place your springform pan in a larger pan and fill halfway up the sides with water- make sure to well wrap the cheesecake pan with aluminum foil to prevent any water getting into it)

Let cool overnight in fridge. To garnish, melt chocolate slowly in a double pan, when melted, whisk in heavy cream. Let cool and thicken. Drizzle cheesecake with chocolate and garnish with peppermint leaves.

Its so good!

• jgnat
    jgnat

Eeek! A thousand dollars on a tree! Let me give you some frugal tips.

As for gift-giving, don't let "obligations" enslave you. You can make jellies, jams, cakes, or preserves for family and friends. I still do this. I was so poor when my children were growing up. I could afford one gift each, that was it. Some years, they were home-made. I've made sock dolls for my daughter. Some of my gifts bombed. But some of those gifts, they tell me now, meant so much. My son loved lego, so I told all my relatives. Within a few years, he had a killer collection. As a family tradition, I and my children would sit down and make home-made Christmas cards every year. Some friends begged not to be removed from the mailing list, they so looked forward to our creations. So keep it fun, keep it light, and don't get hung up on what you are "supposed" to do.

If you live in the UK, Australia, or Canada, there's a great service that helps you save up for the food. Pay a small fee every week, and just before Christmas, everything you want arrives in a box. They can also supply all you need for a fully-decorated tree. This is the second year I've used them, and I love it! It's a little late this year, but keep it in mind for next year. http://www.chriscohampers.ca/ Keep an eye out for turkey sales or giveaways. Our local chain give away free turkeys if we buy up to a limit.

I have to say that the ex-JW trees and ornaments are the most creative and unorthodox I've ever seen. Bikerchic's are so cool. More power to all of you!

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

Chriscohampers are amazing, I agree! It's all delivered to your doorstep, no stressing out over running around at the store picking everything up, and the turkey is HUGE!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit